Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Manual GTAW welding
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 07-17-2012 19:58
Have a question that I would like to gather opinions on. If a person is welding with the GTAW process, let's say on a bench on a round object, standard torch, foot pedal and filler rod we know that to be considered a manual process. OK, same welding process, but now the piece is welded using a turntable positioner....does that change the process to one considered not manual, such as mechanized or machine welding? Trying to write WPS and am getting different opinions as to what would be correct. Thank You
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-17-2012 20:29
No.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-17-2012 22:44
no  most positioners are manually controlled I.E. another pedal.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-17-2012 22:52
It is only the set up of the process itself that determines rather it is 'Manual', 'Semi-Automatic', or 'Automatic'.  It has nothing to do with the part or how it is handled during the welding.  Putting it on a rotation table does not change the welding from a Manual process to a semi-auto or auto process.

Look all of your terms up in A3.0 'Standard Welding Terms and Definitions'.  Key: 'mechanized' per your OP.  The gun would have to be held/manipulated by some means other than the human hand to be so classified. 

Just leave it as a manual process.  Good to go.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jsdwelder (***) Date 07-18-2012 10:54
Thanks guys. That is what I thought. I have an engineer giving me a rash because I wrote it up as manual.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Manual GTAW welding