Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME 9 question
- - By sciroccos1111 (*) Date 07-20-2012 20:42
Hi everybody,

i have a PQR for A106 pipe (thickness of speciment :9,27mm at 6G position) with TIG (qualified from 0-8mm) and SMAW (qualifing 1,5 to 9mm) . According to ASME i can weld all fillet welds of all thicknesses. My question is if i can weld with all passes with SMAW only? If i must weld the first pass with TIG(which is impossible from an oikonomic point) The same applies to welder?

thanks in advance
Parent - By Solluz (*) Date 07-24-2012 16:40
Hi,  Sect. IX,  QW-200.4 states that "When following a WPS that has more than one welding process, filler metal, or set of variables, each process, filler metal, or set of variables may be used individually or in different combinations ...."    So, yes, you may use just the SMAW process.    (although, I don't understand the comment that TIG is qualified from 0-8mm and SMAW from 1.5-9mm).    Under section IX, the base metal for 9.27mm would be qualified for groove welds 1.5 - 18.54mm.   The TIG process deposit thickness would be qualified for groove welds up to 2t (PQR TIG deposit thickness) with no minimum,   and likewise with the SMAW process.   The sum of the qualified TIG deposit and SMAW deposit to be listed individually on the WPS for groove welds should add up to 18.54 mm.

Regards, Sol
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME 9 question