Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder Quallification
- - By Travis Collins (**) Date 07-23-2012 20:45
If a welder qualifies with a CJP groove weld with back, are they qualified to weld CJP joints that are backgouged and welded from the second side? Im getting confused reading 4.24, then looking at table 4.12.

Thanks, Travis
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-23-2012 21:13
When working with AWS D1.1, when a welder qualifies on a grooved joint with backing, he/she is qualified for single groove welds welded from one side with backing, double CJP groove welds if the second side is back gouged before welding the second side, partial joint penetration groove welds, and fillet welds.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-23-2012 21:16
Hello Travis,

The fast and simple answer to your question is:  Yes, a welder who qualifies on a CJP with backing is qualified to weld CJP joints/welds that are backgouged and welded from the second side.

Now, to see if we can clear up the confusion:
1) Table 4.12 is not connected to the qualifications of a welder from Clause 4.24 and Table 4.10 (note Table 4.10). 
2) Table 4.12(6) is in reference to welding qualified with a PQR (WPQR testing) NOT a standard Welding Qualification test under 4.24, Table 4.10 and Figures 4.21, 31, and/or 33.
3)So, if a Procedure is Qualified with a backing bar then the elimination of the backing bar would require a new procedure to be qualified according to Clause 4.23 with Table 4.12.
**Notice the note above the list of Variables Requiring Requalification: "Essential Variable Changes to WPQR Requiring Requalification"** (emphasis mine)

4)This would indicate that due to material, process used, filler material, or some other factor they had to qualify a procedure and were not able to use a Pre-Approved Procedure which would only require the development of a WPS and welder certification.

Hope I cleared up the usage.  If not, someone will come along with more help and to rebuff me for any errors.

Have a Great Day,  Brent

edit: see, Al beat me to it.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-24-2012 00:12
But not as elegant as your post.

Nice work.

Al :grin:
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 07-24-2012 02:13
Pretty much sums it up.
Parent - - By Travis Collins (**) Date 07-24-2012 12:35
Thanks Al and Brent. That got me on the right track. I have a tendency to get lost in the code book and end up on the wrong track. I appreciate the help!!!!

Thanks again, Travis
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-24-2012 14:19
Oh don't we all know it Travis.

Al has had to redirect me more than once when I try to apply something in the wrong context.  Clause 3 with Clause 4.  Tubular with Non-Tubular and all the other combinations in Clause 2.  And many other examples. 

Hope you get it all together. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Welder Quallification