Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Preheat to remove moisture
- - By S. WINAI (**) Date 07-26-2012 04:37
We do T-Bar fillet welding in a work shop.  FCAW  process plate grade AH 36   web pate is 1/2”(12.7 mm) thick and face plate 5/8”(16 mm) thick. Ambient temperature 25-30 degree C. according to D1.1 code minimum  preheat is 0 degree C. So we not apply preheating before welding. but some of CWI tell us that we must  do preheat  to remove moisture before welding don’t care about ambient temperature because every steels surface have moisture. I have confuse about this moisture he have mention. it is correct? How to identify or measurement that steel surface have moisture? Thanks in advance for u advise.

S. WINAI
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-26-2012 11:36
Two issues must first be clarified.
Is AWS D1.1 the specified code and does the customer specify additional pre heat requirements in the contract documents?

Tim
Parent - - By S. WINAI (**) Date 07-26-2012 14:13
hi Tim,
only AWS D1.1 code specified no additional requirement in the contract. 5.15 preparation of base metal ( surfaces to be welded shell be free from moisture)
this is make me confuse between ambient temperature and moisture code have mention about.

thanks a lot Tim,

s. winai
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 07-26-2012 15:47
Hi!

You really need to read this thread!

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=30753

Have a good day!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-26-2012 16:39 Edited 07-27-2012 03:56
S. Winai,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

46.00 gave you a great reference for information in the thread he linked.  Check it out.  It is a great read on moisture and steel applications.

As to your situation, the CWI can only express an opinion as long as all work is code compliant.   The code does not require you to go above and beyond.  Only a matter of preference and going the extra mile to make sure the possibilities of hydrogen cracking, porosity, or other weld discontinuities are reduced beyond the scope of the code requirements.  There is no moisture on the material when work begins.  A vapor trail a couple of inches away from the weld area due to temperature change caused by welding does not constitute 'moisture' to be removed before work begins.  5.15 says "Surfaces to be welded,...shall also be free from...moisture,..."  (emphasis mine).  So, before welding starts they are to be free from moisture.  If the REQUIRED pre-heat is not enough to keep a 'condensation' vapour from forming that is not a code issue though it is worthy of QC consideration.  And if you get otherwise unexplained porosity, cracking, etc may be worth a very serious look.

While it may be to your advantage to do so, with the information provided I don't see a requirement to pre-heat your pieces.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Solluz (*) Date 07-26-2012 19:47
Winai,   If you don't see any moisture, don't bother to preheat.  Just Ignore the CWI and tell him or her there is no visible moisture and that you are in compliance with D1.1.
Regards,  Sol
Parent - - By S. WINAI (**) Date 07-27-2012 03:30
Hi Sol,

i have tell them that no visible moisture on surface. so i don't do preheat but they still ask me to show prove document and i have search with ABS,DNV Class that i working with. i still cant find it.

thanks a lot for all of u advise.

WINAI
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-27-2012 04:00
I'm not sure what it is that they want YOU to prove.  It is pretty clear in the code.  Now, all the CWI can do is write it up as Non-Compliant if he thinks he is so right and let the engineer make the final decision.  You don't have to prove anything.  Just keep doing your job to the code.  No pre-heat is required.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By S. WINAI (**) Date 07-27-2012 08:57
Brent,
they ask me to show where book or code write steels surface no have moisture.I think they also cant find it too. I talk with my boss then he say (Follow CODE). We have work with difference project and difference CWI some of them not require to preheat for thin plates. I m not sure a bout AWS D1.1 CODE even i have read more then 10 time. so i come to post in AWS Forum and need experience members to help me.

Thanks,

WINAI
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 07-27-2012 12:03
WINAI,

In AWS D1.1 : 2010 -
Requirements for preheat are listed in Section 3.5 - Minimum Preheat and Interpass Temperatures, which directs you to-
Table 3.2 - Prequalified Minimum Preheat and Interpass Temperature, which states for 1/8" through 3/4" thickness AH 36-
   Minimum preheat and interpass temp is 32 degreesF, 0 degrees C
Which is marked with note a, which states -
   When the base metal temp is below 32 degrees F, the base metal shall be preheated to a minimum of 70 degrees F, etc.

Section 5.12 - Welding Environment, states in 5.12.2 (2) -
    Welding shall not be done when surfaces are wet or exposed to rain or snow.

So, as per D1.1, this base metal thickness does not require preheat unless-
    It's cold enough to freeze water.
    It's wet (it would have to be dried by one means or another, not necessarily by preheating though that works well).
    It's being welded to a different base metal or thickness that requires preheat.
    Your customer has specified in the contract, in excess of code requirements, that preheat is required.

Your CWI may be confused by the fact that often, when you preheat, moisture appears on the surface as though it's being extracted from the metal. This is not true as is explained in the previous post that was recommended to you.

Also, please be aware that if you're using a low hydrogen process, moisture control in your filler metal must be carefully controlled, but that's a separate issue.

Tim
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-27-2012 12:26
Guys,
I would like to add a question to S.Winais initial question that may help us both.
I have been working for the last 3 years in South-East Asia where the ambient temperature hovers between 25 and 35 degrees celcius.
As S.Winai has stated if the material temp is similar to the ambient temp then as per AWS D1.1 preheat is not required.
My question is if the ambient / material temp was recorded as 30 degrees celcius on the PQR for 16 mm plate what would you put in the "Pre Heat" section of the WPS ?
I have been reviewing WPS's written based on PQR's with no preheat and in the preheat section of the WPS they have put N/A.
IMHO the heat of the material prior to welding (whether ambient or artificially induced) needs to be addressed via the WPS.
So if it was was 30 degrees ambient on the PQR prior to welding then the +/- of the essential variables come in to play via the WPS.
IMHO the WPS should state in the PreHeat section - Not Required if Ambient greater than 15 degrees celcius (as per Table 4.5)
Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-27-2012 12:46
I never put N/A for pre-heat.  I enter a 'See Note 1' and then on a second page note 1 refers to D1.1 chart with temps for various thicknesses of steel based upon the Group class of the steel the WPS is for.

As pre-heat is a minimum I would think it would be self explanatory that if ambient temps have the steel temp over the required pre-heat temp that pre-heat is then Not Required.  But it may be problematic putting too much information in the WPS. 

Usually in my reports I record ambient temps as well as steel temps about three times throughout the day so everyone is aware of the need or lack of need for pre-heat at least up to 2 1/2" steel. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-27-2012 12:38
Okay,  I think another problem we have here is the language issue.  It can be difficult enough between those who fluently speak the same language to make sure they have communicated clearly, at least in the 'English' language.  You are from Singapore.  Obviously doing fair at communicating, BUT, little differences in sentence structure and word usage as you write.

Now, I also addressed the moisture to code interpretation issue back a couple of posts.  In D1.1, 5.15 what it says is that when the members to be welded are moisture free, in other words, when there is no moisture on them at the present time.  Then, if they are already warm enough that pre-heat is not required.  Then, you may start welding without any additional requirements.

So, you start welding, with the temperature change you get condensation in the vicinity of the welding.  Notice, it is not IN THE WELDING AREA.  It will be about 2" away.  It is not a consideration per code.

As I stated earlier, there may be times that it is to your advantage to deal with it, BUT IT IS NOT A CODE REQUIREMENT. 

I don't have my D1.1 in the house and am about to leave for a job that is a 2 1/2 hour road trip.  I will see what others have posted when I get there and see if I can help further.  Start by looking in the 'Index' for any references to 'moisture'.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-27-2012 13:28
Brent,
Thanks for the replies but I may not have worded my question properly.
This would probably be better addressed by the AWS honorary adjudicator - Mr Al Moore ( sorry Al.)
The point I was trying to make (obviously unsucessfully) was if ambient temp recorded on the PQR was well above minimum preheat requirements of AWS D1.1 what do you put on the WPS as minimum preheat ? (and is the minus 15 degrees celcius in preheat temp allowed by the code even applicable when there was no preheat to start with ?)
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - By S. WINAI (**) Date 07-27-2012 14:48
Shane,

i also have problem with WPS. look in WPS paper is very smart CODE: AWS D1.1 2010. But in minimum preheat temperature: preheat to remove moisture(50 degree C)
and others WPS minimum preheat temperature: thickness 38 mm and below 65 degree C, thickness above 38 mm 110 degree C.This  WPS is writing and provide by QA section. NOTE! same PQR but why QA write preheat temperature not same. i m wonder that where they  get this minimum preheat temperature to write in WPS.

Thanks,

winai
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-27-2012 21:46 Edited 07-28-2012 02:58
Hello fellow welding gurus:

I am not sure what you really want to know. I am not sure there is really a question being asked. Here goes nothing.

Preheat (AWS A3.0-2001
preheat. The heat applied to the base metal or substrate to attain and maintain preheat temperature.
preheat temperature, welding. The temperature of the base metal in the volume surrounding the point of welding immediately before welding is started. In a multipass weld, it is also the temperature immediately before the second and subsequent passes are started.

The preheat temperature is the ambient temperature if no supplemental heat is added. However, ambient is not a discrete value and it is not the temperature recorded on the procedure qualification record (PQR) when the welding procedure specification is qualified by testing. The value recorded on the PQR is the actual temperature of the part just before the welder strikes the first arc.

If supplemental heat is used, preheat is still the temperature of the parts just before welding is initiated. The source of heating is not important. If could be the result of preparing the weld joint by grinding (friction), heating the part in an oven or by heating it with a torch or electric resistance heaters. Preheat is still the temperature of the part just before welding commences.

In the case of welding steels, preheating is often used to reduce the cooling rate to mitigate the formation of undesirable phases, i.e., microstructures, which tend to be sensitive to delayed hydrogen cracking or have a propensity to harden.

Welding standards typically include ranges for welding parameters used in production that are based on the parameters used when the test coupon was welded. The lowest preheat temperature is usually limited by the applicable welding standard and is a function of the preheat temperature used when qualifying the WPS.

In the event the individual that witnesses the welding of the test coupon fails to record an actual temperature (a numerical value) of the preheat on the PQR, there is no basis of limiting the lower limit of preheat used for production welds.

Moisture
Many welding standards state that the surfaces must be dry and free of moisture before welding. The concern is free moisture on the surfaces or between components such as lapped members as a result of standing water, snow, ice, etc. The concern is twofold; the moisture can flash off as steam which can result in porosity or it can disassociate into hydrogen and oxygen. The oxygen can combine with carbon to form porosity and the iron to form oxides. The problems associate with oxygen can be mitigated by introducing deoxidizers into the weld pool. Atomic hydrogen, from the disassociation process, easily goes into solution with the molten weld pool. Much of the hydrogen escapes harmlessly as the weld pool solidifies. However some of the hydrogen can potentially cause delay hydrogen cracking under the proper conditions.

Supplemental heat can be used to hasten the evaporation of any snow, ice, or standing water.

As for how preheat is to be addressed in the WPS: Preheat temperatures listed on the WPS is the minimum preheat temperature based on the requirements of the applicable welding standard. The preheat temperature may be determine prescriptively as in the case of a prequalified WPS where the minimum preheat is determined by the thickness and chemistry of the base metal. As an alternative, the preheat temperature may be based on actual preheat temperature of the test coupon when it was welded.

The issue of wet surfaces can require the inspector or contractor making decision based on good engineering judgment. If the dew point is about the same as the ambient conditions, supplemental heat may be required to ensure there is no moisture between lapped members.Other considerations include the chemistry of the base metal and its poropensity to hardening and sensitivity to delayed hydrogen cracking. Increased carbon equivalency and high dew points can easily justify the need to use supplemental heating to ensure the base metal temperature is high enough to ensure the surfaces are free of all moisture even when not stipulated by the fabrication code.

There were many occasions where I used the torch to heat the base metal to evaporate surface moisture entrapped between lapped members. There was no need to “preheat” the steel, it was already above the minimum preheat temperature required by the applicable code. However, failure to completely dry the joint before welding would cause gross porosity. Closely related to this problem was the use of preheating cold steel in the winter. The preheat had to be maintained for a period of time to ensure the condensate from the torch flame had sufficient time to completely evaporate. Failure to evaporate all the moisture would result in porosity.

Moisture from the steel, i.e., subsurface moisture in the steel? I think not. The water molecule is too large to diffuse into or out of the atomic lattice and it cannot survive the high temperatures of the casting, rolling, or extrusion processes associated with making the primary shapes.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-27-2012 23:03 Edited 07-27-2012 23:19
Now there is a detailed answer for you Winai.

Personally, I think too many CWI's try to incorporate personal opinion and agenda into their work.  And all of us can tend to try to 'force' the code where we think it 'NEEDS' to say or mean something so the end results go OUR way.

But Al's points are well taken.  There can be times where pre-heat would be needed though not 'required'.  As I said earlier, it is to the welder's advantage even though the code doesn't require it.

Now then Al, so how does an inspector write that up?  Can we use 'THE CODE' as the basis for writing an NCR?  What reference would you use to do so?  Or is this issue something to be worked out between the CWI, fabricator, and engineer one on one or through the RFI process?  (This is in reference to the moisture that comes only after welding has started when the steel is already higher than the required pre-heat due to the ambient temperature).

I see also a difference in some of the posts here as to rather we are talking about WPS's with pre-heat from Pre-Qualified Clause 3 conditions or rather we are talking about Clause 4 PQR's and a WPS written from it.  The process, the joint type, the steel class and the steel thickness are all going to be part of the answer.  What is good for one may not be good for another.  Right?

So if I am following Winai's question line, how or can you show a CWI that further pre-heat is NOT needed or at least is not required?  Is there a specific clause in the code to point one way or the other?

Some of these questions I ask because of my own uncertainty partly because my book is not here with me at the moment to look some things up for myself.  Besides, they make for good informational discussion, I hope.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By S. WINAI (**) Date 07-28-2012 03:10
Hi Brent,
So if I am following Winai's question line, how or can you show a CWI that further pre-heat is NOT needed or at least is not required?  Is there a specific clause in the code to point one way or the other? This is a point i wish to know. when i talk to my boss he always say( Follow Code).

so sorry cause my English not so good. im from Thailand work in Singapore more than 10 years.in my experience about welding im start from welder, welding supervisor, currently welding Technical Engineer . i hope that i can learn and get more knowledge from this AWS welding forum and from experience members here.

THANKS Again,

WINAI
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-28-2012 02:53 Edited 07-28-2012 03:06
First one must identify who is responsible for what and what is the limit of their authority to make demands on the fabricator.

If AWS D1.1 is the governing welding code, the authority of the Contractor’s Inspector and the Verification Inspector are pretty well defined.

The third party inspector, i.e., the Verification Inspector, has very limited authority. In most situations the Verification Inspector’s tasks, i.e., scope of work, are defined by the Engineer. Likewise the authority of the Verification Inspector is determined by the Engineer.

In most situations, the Verification Inspector can do little more than report observations and non conforming work the Engineer. Code imposed minimum requirements are the only requirements the Verification Inspector can enforce through the Engineer. Whether nonconforming work must be repaired or accepted “as is” is the purvey of the Engineer.

The Contractor’s Inspector is in the best position to take immediate steps to mitigate conditions that may result in nonconforming work. In the situation we have been discussing, i.e., moisture between lapped members, the Contractor’s Inspector can require the welder to increase the preheat temperature or increase the time at temperature to ensure the moisture is completely evaporated. The Verification Inspector has no authority to make similar demands of the fabricator if the minimum preheat requirements are being met.

The Verification Inspector has no authority to insist or even suggest the means or methods the fabricator uses to fabricate or to make repairs. The Verification Inspector should not be involved in devising the method used to repair a weld. The Verification Inspector becomes part of the problem when they get involved in determining the method of manufacture or repair.

Every job is different than the last one, there are exceptions to everything, but the quickest way for a Verification Inspector to find himself on the outside looking in and asking,  "What just happen?" is to base accept/reject decisions on personal opinion or to offer “helpful” suggestions to the fabricator. It can be very difficult to stand by watching the fabricator flounder, but the Verification Inspector must stay at arm’s length from the fabricator. As soon as the Verification Inspector makes a suggestion or when the Verification Inspector imposes a requirement based on opinion rather than based on code, he has placed the hangman’s noose around his own neck. It is like cameramen watching a lion pounce on an unsuspecting baby goat. It hurts, you feel sorry for the fabricator, I mean baby goat, but that is just the way the world works.

You ask an interesting questions Brent. In my humble opinion, the individual rejecting a weld or member should be the individual that cites the specific code provision that is the basis of the nonconformance identified. It is not the fabricator's responsibility to disprove the Verification Inspector's claim. If the inspector that is rejecting the work cannot cite a code provision as a basis of "call", the nonconformance has no basis.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-28-2012 14:03
Thanks for all the input Al.  I asked the questions as much to comfirm some of my own practices and beliefs as anything but ultimately I was asking what I believed was the line the OP was trying to take us and get answers for. 

For me, I think that really covered it.  I hope this has been a great help to the OP as well.  His problem will be how he interprets and applies, especially in another country, what you just said.  Sometimes we need to just move on with the job and let the inspector file his NCR and then see what the customer/engineer has to contribute.  On the other hand, sometimes these obsticles come up early enough that we can get them all worked out without really any panic attacks.  Put those parts of the job aside, both the ones already done and other similar ones that need to be done, and go on with other parts until you see what the feedback is going to be. 

Thanks again.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-28-2012 14:33
K.Winai,
Sawasdee khrap.
You have got some very good advice from two very knowledgable gentlemen.
The important thing to remember is if someone (CWI or otherwise) is going to reject your work then it is their job to supply you with the reasons why and supply the relevant clauses from the applicable code.
There are too many third party CWIs making stupid calls purely to justify their existence so sometimes you have to call their bluff - "Please sir, can you show me where in the code your decision comes from ?"
Best of luck with your problem,
Shane
Parent - By S. WINAI (**) Date 07-28-2012 15:26
kòp kun Khrap, Shane:cry:
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2012 03:47
Early in my career an Engineer representing the State of North Carolina gave me very specific direction that I have never forgotten. It made sense then and it still makes sense. Essentially the little speech he gave me before I started the job went something like this:

"You were hired to be our expert. You are our eyes and ears on the job. As long as the fabricator is building product for our projects you are responsible to us and only us. You are expected to verify the work they do is in conformance with the project specifications and the code (D1.5).  You report any and all nonconformance’s to me. I expect detailed reports and details of any substandard work. I expect your report to specify what code provision or project requirement is not met and the extent of the problem. You are quality assurance, not quality control. You are there to make sure their inspectors do the required visual examinations and any additional NDT specified. You confirm their inspection reports are accurate and they are fulfilling their obligations as per the code and project specifications."

He went on to say, "My task is to make a decision based on your report whether the nonconforming part has to be repaired or accepted "as is". We do not determine how the nonconforming part is to be repaired. That is the fabricator’s responsibility. If he does not know how to make the repair, he can hire his own expert. If he asks for your advice, decline politely. You are to offer no opinion, offer no suggestions, even if and when the fabricator asks. You work for us, not for them."

He pretty well summed up the responsibilities of a verification inspector.

Best regards – Al
Parent - By S. WINAI (**) Date 08-02-2012 14:50
At the end of my post (preheat to remove moisture)  I would like to thanks all of u to share and in put my knowledge here.
CONCLUSION
Preheating can produce many beneficial effects; however, without a working knowledge of the fundamentals involved, one risks wasting money, or even worse,degrading the integrity of the weldment and also reduce welding production when do unnecessary preheated.

Regards,
    S. WINAI
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Preheat to remove moisture