Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Welding Instructor Salary
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 07-26-2012 20:15
I will start a thread that I know is usually taboo.....wages. I know wages are very different in different parts of the country and many factors go into it, but if any one would like to give me their 2 cents I'd like to hear it. If you can't say what you make, and I understand, then what do you think a welding instructor should be making. I ask because I work at a school and really have no idea if what the instructors make is comparable to other schools. Touchy subject I know.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-27-2012 04:07
It's not that hard to research in some many states...   If the teachers/instructor is a member of a union or faculty federation than the pay scales are public knowledge and an internet search will bring it up.

But even many school districts and colleges that are non union (the south) post salary scales on there HR pages at the school website.

I know instructors who clear well over 70K for a normal schedule and over 100K with overload.  Plus benefits, pension and of course June July and August.

I also know that many welding instructors (mostly in the south) will never see a job offer above 40K, even if they hold a Masters... There is space to go up.. but starting salary is closely guarded for some reason I can't explain.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 07-31-2012 00:42
You are right, there are many factors.  Some schools put a high priority on education, some don't.  Some will count industry work experience for years of experience when placing a new hire on their teaching salary charts, some may not, and some may only do so to a certain maximum number.  Some start low until a teaching credential of some knid is earned while on the job. 

Generally I would say the base pay starting out will be about 30-50K for a 9 month contract.  Where the money comes in is for ancillary contracts such as for overload credits, summer school, night classes, and so forth.  Many schools move a guy up the pay chart fairly rapidly if he diligently continues his professional development / education. 

A seasoned teacher who has been taking advantage of opportunities to advance on the pay chart may have a base somewhere in the 50 ro 60 K range.  Perhaps the 70 range in a very high cost of living area and with a good level of education.

As Lawrence said, an ambitious and experienced teacher working overloads may make up to 80 to 100 K, perhaps slightly more.  I work at one of lowest paying schools in our state.  One year I still broke the 100 K mark, but seriously I think it may have took a few years off my life span.  I was working more than 2 full-time teaching loads for 1 1/2 years.  I will not do that again.

In my experience, just like on the jobsite, when you start pulling in that kind of money you are really earning it.  Working with people, and in some instances ate up people who you would never hire or tolerate on a job site, can wear on one's mind like trade work can wear on your body (maybe worse).
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Welding Instructor Salary