Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / What can being a CWI do for me?
- - By JeffK Date 01-18-2003 23:52
I am currently considering taking the CWI prep course and exam and would like some input about the profession such as What are the possible job options for a CWI? Any likes and dislikes about being a CWI and anything that might help me make my final descesion on this would be appreciated.
Thanks Jeff
Parent - By brande (***) Date 01-19-2003 07:48
Jeff-any education in this field is of a great help and career builder.Get what you can, when you can.

A CWI can go many ways.

Many welding companies like a CWI on staff.
A CWI rating can give you an amount of credibility you may not have had before.
A few major equipment manufactures and local distributors like to hire CWI's-again for the credibility factor

As with any job-there are likes and dislikes. Often you will be telling a welder with long experience that his welds did not pass..this can be unpleasant, but as long as you adhere to the code, you will be fine.

A CWI can go as far as he wants. It is a good springboard to other things.

Like any other skill, a lot depends on how you present and promote yourself.

Frankly, it was very challenging to take my CWI. I did pass on my first try,however.

The CWI rating has opened up many doors for me, in spite of my 25+ years in the industry.

Just do it-you'll be glad you did!!

Good Luck-brad
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-19-2003 15:27
Being certified allows you to have a piece of documentation that assures others that at one time in your life, you were able to pass the test.

Positive

That documentation carries a great deal of weight with many organizations. By being a CWI many doors are opened for jobs that require certification. The company can then advertize that they have a "CWI" on staff. There are even plans for AWS certified salesman!

Negative
Certification indicates you can "pass the test". I have seen a few CWI's in action that took the course. The course has been described as a course that teaches you to pass the test.

The 3 year renewal fees and even the testing fees are high. Fortunately testing doesn't cost this much in our public school system.

There is nothing that is learned becoming certified that one cannot learn on their own however many people think some magical knowledge comes with being a CWI. It doesn't.

Thats my opinion.

Whatever you do or take on to learn, do it to learn about it because your interested in it and I think you will do better.

G Austin

http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 01-19-2003 18:15
A good point was made here.

Many CWI's simply took the test to make $ or more $$. Nothing wrong with that. The problem arises when they do not really care about integrity, honesty, or the safety of the public or property.

Then there are the people who really want quality in the part or structure when they are putting their stamp on the paperwork, usually with pride.

I used only my CWI for about 4 years before I had to start obtaining other licenses or certifications. This subject is discussed in another post as well. Your CWI can open lot's of doors These doors can lead to many different avenues besides just looking at welds. I am not waving the AWS flag here, just the facts. They have gotten ridiculuosly high with their fees for anything with thier logo or name attached.

Certification also provides validity when you make a call, legally. Just make sure your ducks are in a row - you've done your homework - or whatever when you make that call. Your reputation will follow your certification. Nobody cares when you do a great job, everyone know's when you do a bad job.

Additional:
People with an extensive welding background or are simply good at taking exams - do well on the exam and will say how easy it was. Then there are those who depended on good old fashioned hard earned studying to achieve certification. I went to the "18 year school of hard knocks" and studied for a year before taking and passing the exam. I knew the welding part, but did not know the NDT. Take the time and prepare, regardless of how you evaluate your own skill level, retesting sucks.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-19-2003 20:31
I may have been a little unclear in my point about the difficulty of the test. My knowledge level at the time I took the test was based on study that had been done to work at the various positions I worked in. I didn't have to study much or take a course because my interest has always been in welding and since my employement has always been welding related, it has been easy to learn different aspects of the trade.

I didn't mean to knock the course or those who have taken it. Just don't let it stop there.

G Austin

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / What can being a CWI do for me?