Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI
- - By MILLSCALE (*) Date 08-22-2012 15:37
Is it required at least to be a mechanical engineering to be a CWI?

In looking for a CWI job, is it also required to be an engineer?
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 08-22-2012 15:42
No
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-22-2012 17:26
This should help

http://www.aws.org/certification/docs/QC1-2007.pdf

The requirements are contained in this doccument.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 08-22-2012 18:05
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2012 19:18
Not only would I echo the "NO" previously posted, I would present the argument (for it surely will be argued) that the best inspectors have been welders, and not engineers.

While I have met and beleive there are good engineers who also make good inspectors, on the whole that is not the case.  Somehow the two don't go together.  The majority I have met seems to boil down to being to good to get dirty doing inspections.  But they will send their newbie engineers who need experience out from the office to do special inspections and job supervision.  And they just don't really seem to have a complete grasp on the code and it's proper application to the job.

Besides, once they get that stamp, why would they get dirty while taking a cut in pay to do our job?

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 08-22-2012 19:30
I would say that you have a chance of being a pretty good inspector if you have BOTH the hands on and the engineering background
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2012 19:39
I would agree, you have a "chance".  In the end it all depends upon attitude, character, and motivation. 

Without those, the only desire is the money at the end of the job.  And that is not the proper motivation to do a job correctly to the best of one's ability.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 08-22-2012 20:32
I've always viewed the CWI jobs/my career as an engineering job that doesn't require a degree. If that makes any sense.
- - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 08-21-2013 14:44
Hello! Im filling my "AWS (CAWI/CWI/SCWI) Application for International Agent exams form" but I have a doubt in the numeral 7 Current Job. The Organization where I work build Structures like Bulidings, Bridges, Pressure Vessels and Heavy Mechanical Components, for many clients all by Welding. So in type of business says "check only one" What I have to check????

Thanks
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-21-2013 16:50
In your case I would suggest either 'A' or 'E'.  It really isn't a big deal in this case.  They aren't going to disqualify you for not classifying the type of work your company does 100% correctly.

And it looks like you do so many different things, yet they only want you to check ONE.  I know the feeling, I have a job shop and have worked for many companies.  I could probably check every one of them.  :roll:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 08-21-2013 20:03
Ha ha ha ok I got it thanks!!
- - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 08-21-2013 16:32
Hello! I wonder if is obligatory to do a CWI seminar in order to take the CWI examination test? There is a policy aobut it? For example, If I take the seminar on Sept 2012 and I didn´t take the test, Have I do the seminar again if I´ll take the test on Nov 2013 ?

Thanks
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-21-2013 16:44
You don't have to take the seminar at all though I personally recommend it very highly.  Lots of good information and suggestions about the exam.  You may take the seminar and exam at totally separate times if you like. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 08-21-2013 19:57
Thank you!!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-22-2013 13:34 Edited 08-22-2013 13:42
Interesting discussion, i.e., what characteristics, experience, and education makes a good CWI.

I believe a few important characteristics that influence an inspector's probability of success are a sense of honesty, ethics, and a desire to learn. A lapse in honesty or ethic conduct can cut short the inspector's career. There is good reason why QC1 contains a Code of Ethics.

Being a good welder is no assurance the inspector will recognize potential problems involving different design assumptions. Each project involved different approaches in the design. The design will influence how the welded connection will respond to different load conditions and the sensitivity of a weld to specific discontinuities. AWS D1.1, ASME B31.3, NAVSEA welding standards, etc. have different acceptance criteria that are dictated by the nature of the loads and the criticality of the welds involved.

Being a good welder is no assurance the individual understands problems related to metallurgy. Welding metallurgy, founded on traditional metallurgy, has certain quirks that must be taken into account when inspecting welds. The inspector that has a good understanding of the fundamentals of welding metallurgy can better fathom the problems that are inherent to certain alloy systems. They will better appreciate the fact that different alloy systems respond differently to heating and cooling. They recognize what holds true with one alloy system isn't necessarily true for another. For instance, carbon and high strength low alloy steels need to be preheated to reduce the cooling rate to mitigate the development of unfavorable microstructures and increased sensitivity to delayed cold cracking. The same is not true with heat treatable aluminum alloys or copper-based alloys.

Welding inspection is a multi-discipline occupation. The ideal CWI would be an individual with unshakable honesty, staunch sense of ethics, someone with a good foundation in engineering principles, i.e., statics, mechanics, strength of materials, math, physics, and chemistry, a good understanding of metallurgy, experience as a welder, and plenty of diversified experience to temper those subjects learned in the classroom. Last, but not least, as suggested by my good friend Brent (with an "R"), the inspector cannot be afraid to go where the work is. The work may be across town, across the country, or on the other side of the world. The work may involve looking at welds under laboratory conditions or within the bowels of a grease encrusted ancient mechanical monster.

Few individual possess all the traits, the education, or the experience upon entering the field of welding inspection, but each can strive to learn more about the industry. It is my belief that it is imperative for the welding inspector to be a curious person that is willing to learn, to expand his or her horizons, to become more proficient in those subjects he or she is unfamiliar with. That philosophy is why I supported the concept of PDHs and continuing education as a means of meeting the requirements for CWI renewal. I would rather see an individual demonstrate a desire to expand his or her capabilities in subjects related to the CWI functions rather than simply demonstrate the ability to correctly use a fillet weld gage or dial caliper.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2013 14:37
"Few individual possess all the traits, the education, or the experience upon entering the field of welding inspection, but each can strive to learn more about the industry. It is my belief that it is imperative for the welding inspector to be a curious person that is willing to learn, to expand his or her horizons, to become more proficient in those subjects he or she is unfamiliar with. That philosophy is why I supported the concept of PDHs and continuing education as a means of meeting the requirements for CWI renewal. I would rather see an individual demonstrate a desire to expand his or her capabilities in subjects related to the CWI functions rather than simply demonstrate the ability to correctly use a fillet weld gage or dial caliper."

I agree.  Especially after one has been working for 9 years as an inspector, why would you want to retake a test you already passed.  I know, it is faster and cheaper than the other options.  So what?  Get more education.  Networking.  Sharing of ideas.  Endorsements.  A degree. 

Problem: most won't take the time.  Priorities must be set.  Family is important.  Other things, hunting trips, are important.  :roll:  But so is your career, profession, money making ability. 

There are so many other ways to continue the credentials instead of a test you already proved you could pass.  If you really must keep it short and cheap...take an endorsement exam and add the proof of knowledge of another code. 

And don't forget Al's comments about ethics.  They are critical.  You only have to answer to yourself and God at the end of the day and be able to sleep well.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 09-13-2013 14:26
Inspirational, Make me want to learn more and not give up on things I have trouble understanding.  Thanks for the good words
- - By mrquality Date 09-24-2013 21:08
Hello,

I got a question; where is stablished that you have to make a week seminar to make the CWI exame? i
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-24-2013 21:17
Hello mrquality, simply put: you do not. There is no such requirement, although, for some folks they are more likely to be successful. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By mrquality Date 09-24-2013 21:23
Thank you for your reply. You mean is not necesary, but it could help a lot. Some agent in my country told me is mandatory, i made this question for that reason. You know the seminar has a cost, it depends of oneself to make it worth it.

best regards
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-24-2013 23:07
I would say that most folks, even those with a lot of relevant experience have benefited from attendance and participation in the seminars. Yes, the seminars are NOT inexpensive, but as I believe you stated, you, as an attendee can make it worth it to yourself. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-24-2013 23:09
Mrquality,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

John is definitely correct in as far as the specifications for AWS goes.  You should check regulations in your own country out a little further.  It is possible that they have some requirements beyond what is mandatory by AWS.  Different jurisdictions can require you to do additional training and even testing before you can inspect.

Currently I am having to add a couple of certs and study time for a particular job even with the years I already have as a AWS/CWI and holding a Bolting endorsement. 

Thus, the agent in your country may be correct even though what he said doesn't apply to AWS qualifications to take the CWI exam. 

Communication is king.  Make sure of the context before judging the statement on one particular vantage point.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-24-2013 23:12
Oh yeah, Personally, I highly recommend the seminar.  Even if you might be able to pass the exam without it...You will definitely learn even more and walk away better informed and qualified for the job if you take the seminar. 

Some things cannot be measured by money alone.  Knowledge and understanding are critical to the job.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By CWI7611 (**) Date 10-16-2013 02:39
I wish there had of been a seminar in '76 when I first took the test. I had to take the entire test over again in '85 for my 9 year requalification. Glad there are so many alternate ways of renewing your certification now. Take advantage of them when the time comes.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI