Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Portable repair.
- - By Weldemupblue (*) Date 08-22-2012 21:03
Hey Guys, now im new to the world of being(or trying to be) an entrepreneur along with my partner, we are based out of south east wisconsin about 30 minutes north of milwaukee and we have 25+ combined years of weld/fab experience. We started our buisness as a portable repair company and have had a few jobs but no were near the work load we want, as of right now we have alot of the equiptment and are able to do the work but we are lacking in it, we have both been doing alot of networking but just havnt been getting the responce were looking for, i am curious as to whether any one has any ideas that could possibly help us out? Id apretiate any input!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2012 21:09
Stick with it.  People come back to places that have been around for a while.  It takes more than a yellow pages ad, website, business cards, good looking receipts/invoices with a letterhead, licenses, insurance, certifications, and a truck full of equipment to get customers.  It takes a lot of ambition, patience, determination, and bidding. 

Get out there and keep trying.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 08-22-2012 22:35
Weldemupblue, You also have to make sure there is a big enough demand for the type of work you want to do. You usually have to do numerous different things to survive , started out doing "mobile welding" but realized everybody "knows a buddy" that will repair a backhoe bucket.:surprised:  So I ended up making rails, stairs , etc. turned it into a 1.3 million a year business using my mobile equipment to erect my products.:grin: Had to buy a crane to do erection work, ended up using it to set HVAC units:cool:. Now 30 yrs. later getting out of big fab. & erect jobs because of the changes in the economy:cry:. Selling the crane because of lack of work.:sad: (steel erection & HVAC) Notice getting calls now on small (4 hr.minimum) jobs, energy companies moving into area and misc. metals/railings( just supplying on bigger jobs). Point is got to be DIVERSIFIED and change when conditions call for it!!!!!!:cool:   HELL, I even haul equipment for other people using my pickup/tiltbed trailer to fill in when things get SSSS-LLL-OOO-WWWW:eek::eek::cry: BECAUSE THE BILLS STILL SHOW UP IN  THE MAILBOX !!!!!! Be tenatious , look back on others post like Cummins, Tommyjoking , Shads , Dualie & a bunch of others on their business experience/struggles it ain't EASY:eek::grin::lol: From Pittsburgh city of champions  Dem' Stiilers , Pens & Pirates???????
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-23-2012 04:06
How long have you guys been in business?? It's gonna take awhile to get something established unless you just happen to know lots of folks in high places that can slip you bids and things. I've been cranking away at this for 4 years now and still has some pretty heavy ups and downs. It's way better than it was 3 years ago and the $16,000 gross income I had, not to bad considering I started the business with $700.

Location, type of work in the area, who is already doing the work, do the contractors already have "a guy". It's trying to find the contractors who don't have "a guy" they call, a brother who's a welder, or worse a farmer(nothing against farmers) who thinks he's a welder. I've been doing work for one contractor as a sub who is a sub for a large General contractor(don't worry, it's not you EC!! LOL!!!). I went and talked with the job boss the other day and gave him my card. I said, "you probably already have "a guy" that you call for welding but if he's busy or something here's my card, give me a try". He said, "Actually, I don't have "a guy" and I do have a need for a welder from time to time" and he began to tell me about some of his woes where he could have used me. Two years I've been around this GC and have sent an email, called on the phone and my first foot in the door is with the super on a job. Still gonna take more time. I have a friend who has a shop, been doing it for 10 years. He's been busy as a one leg man in a butt whooping contest for as long as I've known him(past two years). I'm hoping when I hit 10 years I'll be busy like him!

New name in the game, new faces and your networking equals, "who are these guys?". Like Smooth Operator said, be ready to do anything. I was at the electric company doing some welding and he said something about moving things and we got onto core drilling. Next thing I know I'm setting up a time to come out and core drill holes for them. All in all though, it's just gonna take time. I don't know any of us that have just jumped into being covered up in the first year or two.
- - By Weldemupblue (*) Date 08-23-2012 00:14
Brent and Oporator,
     I really appretiate the advice, both of you made good points, i know what ya mean by being diversified its just a matter of building a buisness off of basically no $$$$ just the equiptment we have and the knowlage we have money wise we are limited, theres no real way to make the $$$$ we need to build our buisness working in even the more advanced welding shops in the area, both my partner and i have thought about heading west to the pipeline and working out there for a bit to generate some more cash for higher level equiptment such as cranes trucks and trailors. I feel like its a horse a piece whether we stay here and try to get it going or head out west and burn pipe... And im not even sure if thats a logical plan either.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 08-23-2012 01:41
I don't think you really paid attention to the above replies. The equipment usually follows business demand, not precedes it.
Parent - - By Weldemupblue (*) Date 08-23-2012 02:39
Im next to Milwaukee, city population is just shy of 600 thousand. Im sure theres a demand. I guess to simplify my origional question i should ask, what kind of companys are you guys doing work for?
Parent - By P3T3R ST33L (*) Date 08-23-2012 03:29
Unless I am wrong they either are subcontracted or have customers seek them out for various metal work. Hence the process if establishing your company name. You buy equipment based upon the needs of the work you get.

Thats what I get out of it.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-23-2012 04:12 Edited 08-26-2012 14:40
So, I guess we need some more information. 

We know you are just starting out in business.  Any previous business experience?  Any business model being applied?  Any capital to help carry you through?  Did you at least get business licenses?  Registrar of Contractors (Not needed in some states)?  Liability Insurance?  Workers' Comp?  Do either of you have any Welding Certifications?  To which code (s)? Is your previous experience in the same venue as you are striving to develop?  Are you qualified to work a pipeline job? 

Personally, I work for myself.  Shop, field, and inspections.  Normally half a dozen guys or more but down currently with the economy.  Still having a fair year.  We do many different things.  Heavy equipment repair, railings, truck racks, structural (shop and erection), pipe, inspections, proto types, etc.  We work with and are certified in FCAW, GMAW, GTAW, SMAW.  Codes: ASME, API 1104, D1.1, D1.3, D1.4.  Certified fall protection, forklift operation, man lift operators, etc. 

My people are employees and are covered by all my insurances.  No 1099's.  If you are a sub you will have proof of insurance and all the other paperwork. 

Now, having said all that, it is easier for us in AZ to get work, especially repeat work, as a corporation with all the proper paperwork that makes you a legitimate business and not just another wanna be.  Some states don't have all the same requirements but many have more than you realize unless you do your homework.

You can always tell the professionals from the wanna be's.  And most customers will search out those who will be around.  Our shop has been here for 35 years.  16 years with us as owners.  My sons, daughter, and wife have all worked in the shop.  People know our family.  That's why they come back.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Weldemupblue (*) Date 08-26-2012 05:34
Based on our previous business experiense we have taken plenty of business from shops just like you(: Were thinkin about coming down to arizona.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-26-2012 13:12
:lol: ROFLOL!! :lol: :lol:

GOOD LUCK, Come on down. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-23-2012 04:11
The only problem I see with your plan is when you come back from out west and buy a crane, trucks and other high end equipment your still going to be in the same boat, no client base to pay for the new equipment, shop, employees...yourself. Buying a crane and having it sit around with insurance on it eating money while you search for work will have you upside down in a heartbeat. I know most of us have started with the bare essentials, more work equals more money, more money equals bigger jobs and more equipment.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 08-23-2012 04:53
One thing this downturn has taught me.    DONT BE TO PROUD FOR ANY WORK. 

If they are willing to pay you enough to make a profit on the work take it.

KEY WORD PROFIT.
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 08-24-2012 16:09
Make sure your partnership agreement is ironclad...."the only ships that sink are partnerships".
Parent - - By Weldemupblue (*) Date 08-26-2012 05:26
We are certified in D17.1. Our buisness model is make money. Our partnership is ironclad, we both pack.... Concealed carry.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 08-26-2012 13:13
Mutually assured destruction does not really qualify as a partnership.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-26-2012 14:37 Edited 08-26-2012 23:41
This guy is a hoot.

They don't have much work or experience and are talking about going to the pipeline.  They are certified to 'Aerospace' standards (?? D17.1 ??) but want to go to the pipeline and have taken 'plenty of work away from guys like' me. 

If you have taken Plenty of work from other welders then why are you so slow you would consider leaving to go to the pipeline? 

He hasn't answered a direct question and just keeps puffing himself up by attempting to compare himself with others.  Asks for ideas, guidance, advice but comes back with wise crack responses.  Sometimes it doesn't pay to try to tell people what you have done to make your business succesful and keep it that way even in a down economy while others around you are dropping like flies.

Tell you what though,  I am selling my shop.  I have been trying to go into full time inspections work and my oldest son is going with me and going into full time church ministry.  We haven't found anyone that wants to run the shop.  If you really want to see and run a legitimate business and move to AZ (that's what you said) then contact me.  I'm not asking much, just don't want to shut the doors after 16 years (35 total in the community between 2 owners).  Hard to run a shop when you are out of town and busy with other projects.  Goes well as long as my son is around.  But when he has other committments or is with me things slow down at the shop. 

People do things different and a new owner would not have to run things exactly as I do.  I have all the certifications, licenses, bonds, equipment, etc that I do because of the type of work I want to do; structural and heavy equipment repair.  We do many other things as well.  You can see more under a thread in the 'For Sale' section.  Possibly back a couple of pages.  I'll find it and bump it as the others who were looking appearantly decided not to move to AZ.

Here's an opportunity to test your ironclad partnership.  AND, you can do it in one of the easiest states in the union to carry, concealed or not.  The best of ALL worlds.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 08-26-2012 17:19
welderbrent, I believe talkin' to this guy has been a waste of time !!!!:confused: Now this blowhard wants to talk about packin' heat??????:surprised: As for "partnerships" one guy is always gonna' "coast" while the other partner does the majority of the work, VERY RARE to find two people with the same work ethic. Me personally other than my family , BUSINESS is second in my life, always thinkin' about it:roll::roll:  If I'm gonna do everything why do I need a "partner"?????:wink::wink: As for these guys comin' to AZ. to do business Brent. I wouldn't be to concerned  as your seeing, the majority of "wannabes" don't have "two nickles to rub together" let alone enough pull/capital or CASH to buy a business !!!!!!:yell::yell: From Blitzburgh home of dem' STILLERS:cool::cool::cool:
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-26-2012 18:20 Edited 08-26-2012 19:28
Weldemupblue   the guys you seem to be getting "somewhat sideways" with are very smart businessmen.  Their advice has helped me and others quite a bit.   Anyway...

Hit every building contractor that does erection or mechanical/piping work within reach...give them a call or stop by and drop a card.  Talk to fire suppression/sprinkler companies.  Give cards out to anyone with heavy equipment (dump trucks, dozers etc.).  Go to marinas and talk to the people who run the slips.  It takes a lot of hustle to run a do anything welding biz...starting out it is even worse.  Don't worry with buying more equipment until you have to have it to make a job (that is worth it) go.  You have to build up capital and hold on to that money for when it dries up..and IT WILL dry up no matter how good it is going at the moment.  Like already said be diverse, anything that will make money, go for it whether you roll out your leads or not.

These guys are taking the time to give out good advice that comes from HARD EARNED experience....be a good idea to pay more attention to it.

EDIT:   BTW "Based on our previous business experiense we have taken plenty of business from shops just like you(:"   A lot of shops that are bigger then me actually hire me out to take care of jobs for them when they have too much work.  Basically because they know they can trust me and I won't try to cut their throat and take away customers.  If you develop a reputation for "cutting" on other businesses things will become very very lonely.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-26-2012 23:55
Your edit rings very true here as well Tommy.  Many of my competition will pass jobs on to us and have told us plainly 'We know we can trust you to not try to take the customer from us'.  It's strange how many of them trust us but not each other.  And, each of them will help us with equipment, steel, and even men when I am in need. 

There will be times when you will end up with someone else's customers without realizing it.  But those who regularly take business from others, on purpose, had better watch their back.  OOHH, no wonder they carry.  Bad idea.  That sounds more like looking for trouble than self defense.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 08-27-2012 00:38
well said brent.  I will poach a customer from an A-hole any day but i refuse to crap on my friends.
Parent - - By P3T3R ST33L (*) Date 08-27-2012 00:51
Lets try to help this kid instead of righteously preaching at him like a person who is in danger of drowning when it rains.

In my area skill and ability will carry you farther than anything. The jimbob welders don't last long around here due to a inability to get results. I love those guys because I always get the job to clean up their mess and as a result I make more on the job because of the extra rework time. Also ot gets me a customer who doesn't want to get burned again. Many of these fancy certified companies usually are full of piss poor welders. There is a huge world of difference between a qualification test and a real world weld job especially repair work.

I have taken many customers from companies just due to work ethic, quality, and the repair held up even though the 6G qualified welders repair split after an hour in service. What is a company supposed to do when a customer is clearly impressed by results and not meaningless paper that time and time again results in rework down time and more cost to the customer. I didn't intentionally steal anything this was the customers own decision. They were fed up with their work being subbed out. Tired of shoddy work despite what papers the company may have. Your customers are not as ignorant as you all clearly make them out to be.

What kind of message does it send to your customers when you sub out work? They lack importance, are not worth your time, and clearly are not paying you enough for thier work. I know its impossible to get all work out that comes in, but lets be realistic here... Is any company going to sub work out to another company that could land their customer based on quality of work alone? I think not. Having seen the inner workings of many companies they always choose to go with someone who can do the work without it resulting in a lost customer. Its suicide to do it otherwise. No offense but you are extroxdinarily gullable if you believe otherwise. Anyone with a stake in business doesn't want their competition to succeed that means no work for them. Especially during this bad economy.

Tommy's last post was the most helpful to this guy. The rest of you guys should be ashamed of yourselves with how you are carrying on. And yall wonder why people don't hang around here in your forums. Pillars of your community....

Blue, like some said above you need to focus on whats important now. Qualifications help sell you to a customer, but real world results are what matters most to anyone
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-27-2012 14:15 Edited 08-27-2012 14:27
Wow, guess my post was uninformative and useless. Last time you point somebody towards this site? Last time I try to offer up real world, very young business advise. I've been at this for a little over 4 years and am in the thick of the rough and tumble try and survive point. Most of us "welders" have become pretty good accountants due to the fact that when your business is 6 months old, a year or two old most cannot afford a CPA so EVERYTHING is up to you, the welder, the owner, the secretary, custodial duties, truck maintenance, welder maintenance, shop maintenance, new construction at your shop(new office at mine), EVERYTHING is in your hands as EVERY bit of money that you can muster is being poured into making the business work. So a real business owner is not just a welder, he's a jack of all trades, master of welding hopefully and a dash of everything else.

I've been up and down, paid for a house, a truck and kept my family alive on $15,000 gross in my first year. I'm no Warren Buffet but there has been lots of sound advice from Brent and Operator, Tommy and we would get nonsense replies back. What does having a carry permit have to do with advice on running a business? I've got green trees in my front yard...............see, I bet you just said, "what?".

"Lets try to help this kid instead of righteously preaching at him like a person who is in danger of drowning when it rains."

Actually, in business you could drown the next time it rains. If raining is your next slow time, and drowning is your money you have in the bank to survive. You hit a dry spell, as Blue has pointed out and you don't have the funds to cover insurance, fuel, expenses, steel or materials a client wants you to buy and then sit around and "loan" this money while you wait for accounting to look at your invoice for 30 days before the check printing area opens up to send you a check then yes, you could drowned. Plain and simple, it's not just about the competition, it's about the work out there, the work you get, getting your name out there in a sea of people who are already known in the area whether they do good or bad work. We are/were trying to help but I ain't gonna suger coat it and say, it'll be alright. Ask for advise but 90% of running a business is figuring it out on your own. I'll help a guy out but I'm not going to write your business model for you. Shuffling money, knowing when to spend that $500 or $2000 on a piece of equipment, how much money is coming in, job's coming in? Can I afford that $2000 piece of equipment right now? How much do I really need it? Can I survive or pull the job off without it? I've got it in the bank but what's gonna happen 3 months down the road? You may have it now but in a few weeks or months it will be slow and you'll have a nice new piece of equipment not making you money cause the phones not ringing and wondering how your going to pay for your business insurance this month and believe me, they don't wait. Unlike contractors that can't read "Due Upon Receipt" everybody I deal with wants their money and they are not going to wait 30 days for the most part.

There's nothing wrong with sub'ing out some of your work to other guys you trust. I've done it and I've got a friend who'll call me in once in awhile. I respect him and his business and he calls me cause he knows I won't stab him in the back. I'll work my arse off for him, sometimes maybe to hard. We all get covered up in this business and need to have good friends, that can weld available, sometimes at a moments notice, right Tommy!!!

You wanted advise, this is real world experience. You'll get busy making all sorts of money and think it's all good, buy a crane truck, tools, shop equipment and then the phone will stop ringing cause your client base is not deep enough. Your building rent, insurance will start creeping up on you and you'll have spent everything. Or maybe a truck breaks down, welding machine implodes and you've got this large expense to deal with. Me, I've worked my tail off the last 6 weeks or more, all for contractors and all seem to miss the "Due Upon Receipt" on my invoice as I am not a bank. All of my money is gone, literally, out on materials, fuel, welding supplies. I have money for my insurance and business bills for the month. Have plowed thru savings on materials. Could I have turned work away? Yeah, probably, but I've got all the bills covered til the checks start rolling in. So, instead of stressing, I'm on the front porch in my pj's watching traffic go by in my rockin' chair drinking a cup of java, a forced shut down I like to say! Kinda relaxing actually, no worries. On the other hand, forethought and planning abandoned and I could be rolling over, selling everything I own to survive or worse the business goes belly up. I've survived this bump but while I'm sitting hear I will be thinking and looking over how I can avoid this issue next time. Perhaps more savings? The work load comes and goes as it does, God and Chao's theory take care of that so I'm at their whim and must plan ahead to deal with it.

Running a business is like playing chess. Your thinking 5, 6, 10 or 12 moves ahead. What I do today with this extra money in the bank, how will it effect me 3, 6, 10 months down the road. More or less trying to predict the future. I look back at times when I could have spent money on something and then how it all unfolded and am glad I didn't spend it. Multiple bank accounts, a savings, maybe two, checking accounts, maybe two or three so you can put money in different places for different times. A savings for slow times, savings for big jobs, checking accounts used for you main business operations, another for receiving credit card stuff and let's not forget that at some point you would like to pay yourself, maybe save some money for when you can retire or maybe get a paycheck. Some guys will step right into a great big small business wet dream, have contracts, jobs pouring out the ying yang and other guys are gonna step right into a big pile of....well, yep, you guessed it. This is where it will make or break you, can you get out of that big pile of doo doo? Do you have the moxy to tough it out for years? When your employee buddies talk or complain about their paycheck can you joke and laugh and say, "Paycheck? You get one of those? I've heard about them but only as a myth". The most common thing I hear and have read about as a small business owner is that you will have to suffer, go without and sacrifice to make this business happen. I can tell you that is the darn truth, paycheck? Hahaha! Really? When I have money my paycheck is buying food for my family, helping with bills. Anything that is not a paycheck/owner draw is sat on like a golden egg to use in the business. Toys? Boats, jet ski's, motorcycles, we're allowed to have those? Not big enough yet to even consider blowing money on things that don't make me money or make it easier for me to make money. Saw a Ducati parked right next to my truck the other day, just about creamed my drawers looking and dreaming about the fun I could have on that bike, but it won't make me any money or make my work easier. $12,000 motorcycle or $12,000 put towards a real shop? Hmmm, real shop for sure!

Not trying to beat a guy down, mock, insult but I'm not going to blow smoke up your arse, pee on your shoulder and tell you it's raining or whatever. If you don't have the moxy, the stones, the nerves to deal with it then you might consider the single hand gig. No smoke, just facts.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 08-28-2012 00:07
Cummins71,  Reading your post concerning insurance hit a nerve with me, FIRST thing I did when I decided to downsize was to lower my Liability limits. Just got a refund check back today for $10,000.00 in overpayment!!!!!!!:smile: Plus I don't have to make another miserable insurance payment till next year!!!!!:yell::yell: Unfortunately can't get my workers comp. back till they audit end of year.But with no union erection going on I'll be getting another 10k back but not till Feb. .:eek::eek: As you said in your post you have to be more than just the "WELDER"!!!!:wink::wink: As for work just enjoy the time off,  I call these situations (no work) "HOW LONG CAN YOU TREAD WATER":twisted::twisted: I myself can't work for at least another 3 weeks lookin' at it like a retirement preview:eek::eek::eek:   As for blue & r2d2 they asked for advice and I don't B.S./ sugarcoat nobody on business or flyfishing about the only two things I claim to know alot about:smile::smile::smile::smile: FROM DA STIIL CITY; "GO STIILERS"
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-28-2012 03:07 Edited 08-28-2012 20:44
Haha! Yeah, my last insurance payment is in 15 days then I get a break until January 1! Gonna offer a client a 3% discount if they can sh_t me a check in less than 10 days, tired of this 30 day b.s. Most of it is from non contractors, environmental companies, electric companies, why do they think I need to wait 30 days? Are the expecting a check or a "draw" from a GC? Got approval on another rail but he's going to have parts backordered. Felt good this morning, sat in the rocker on the porch til almost 11 sipping coffee, looking at the grass that needed to be weed whacked! Think there is an Irish saying, goes something like this, "Why put off til tomorrow what you can do the day after", something like that. I've got time so put some stuff off til the day after!!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-28-2012 23:44
You make some very good points Shawn.  Sounds familiar to things I have counselled newbie business owners on this forum and elsewhere many times. Many of us here have shared so many experiences, questions, advice, etc back and forth for enough years we don't have to defend our position with each other.  Then some upstart comes along and tries to run down our advice that he just asked for and belittle our PROFITABLE businesses and experiences. 

Really, what kind of a business plan is "making money"?  And NO my objective is NOT to run all the competition out of business.  I want them to stay around.  Even the bad ones.  Where would I be without them?  And who would I send customers to that I can tell I don't want to bother with the minute they walk through the door?  But, the good ones, as has been stated, I have a good working relationship with several.  We share work back and forth.  Without concern.  Most of the competition send truckrack customers to me.  We have jigs and a history they can't compete with.  But, when their customer comes in for a truck rack, I don't even try to steal them away.  The negative responses to that concept are for losers.  Competition is good.

Many people make fun of them, but a properly done business plan, mission statement, and organizational structure go along way to promoting your business because you can keep yourself on track.  (Besides it sets up responsibility for all partners in Ironclad Partnerships)  Those without one, even if you don't write it down, will wander aimlessly because they aren't sure what equipment to buy next?  How much money to spend when it comes in?  Where to buy property or even IF to buy property?  And so much more. 

Oh well.  I'm going to be more reserved about advice I guess.  So many don't really want it any more.  They just want someone to pat them on the back and tell them how good they are doing.  I will tell you, keep going.  You've come a long way and are doing great.  It takes time.  More important to gain friends in the trade and be helpful than to run all the competition out of business. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-28-2012 20:53
Brent,
  Well said. At least you did not lie to and about him or try to con him into a bad business deal knowing full well it is all BS.

A self admitted cut throat that is having trouble landing work wanting to go pipelining. :roll:

Both pack carry concealed? What the heck does that have to do with the price of cheese in Denmark???

It does not sound like he would understand the conflict you face with your shop and inspection when it comes to the AWS Code of Ethics. Most multi convicted felons do not get it seeing as their ethics and morals are off kilter to begin with. :wink: :wink:

Oh well, like they say, "No good deed goes unpunished."

jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-28-2012 23:51
Hello John,

Nice to hear from you.  Hope all is going well with you and yours.

Hard to tell what goes through some people's minds.  Even harder to follow their train of thought sometimes and how they get from point 'A' to point 'B'.  It sure wasn't with a straight line.  :lol:

Been pretty hard on us having to make the decision to definitely sell the shop.  I didn't know how much I really liked the welding until I did nothingh but inspections for about 8 months.  Boy do I miss it.  BUT, I really like the inspections work too.  And that is the way I'm going.  Can't do both here locally and when I leave town the shop takes a hit.  Thankfully Darrell came back this year to run it and has done quite well.  Especially in this economy.  Been getting more and more conflicts because of his efforts with the shop doing the welding and I get called to do the inspections.  Hard to turn work down.

Anyway, see you around.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 08-29-2012 13:19
Brent,
  I can sure understand how hard it would be to sell after putting so much effort into it. I can also relate to missing the welding part. I do not do much welding anymore other than the ocasional weekend project and once in a while if we have an employee that shows great potential and wants to move into the welding side of the shop I may work with them some in my free time.

Hopefully you can find the right people to fit the shop and get it sold.

Give everyone on your end our best.

jrw159
- - By Weldemupblue (*) Date 08-27-2012 01:36
Peter i can totally agree with you, and i appretiate your input espessially you being in the same general area, i guess to adress brent in a more formal mannor i just about **** hearing the ammount of arrogance when i read your reply. I mean honestly it felt like you were here to more soo insult me than help guide, especially if you are a "professional" in our field.
Parent - - By P3T3R ST33L (*) Date 08-27-2012 02:12
Just so everyone here understands.

I have met blue, he knew I was a CWI/CWE and brought the murex rods to me to identify as well as to inquire about getting qualified for his future business venture. I referred him to this site to get more opinions. Last time I do that.

If blue succeeds he will be my competition, but as a one man band I can't do it all. He will succeed or fail based on his own skill and ability. I told him to get insurance that will cover him and his equipment and to start small with jobs that are within his scope and ability. 1+1=2  he is a no money start up which means he has no employees. Alot of the advice given here is best to hear from a CPA not some welder. The majority of customers in this area don't care about your paperwork. Its when you get on DOT, state, tank farms, and pressure vessle work that you will seriously need to have your stuff together in order to do work for them. The big money jobs usually require more bodies than what a small outfit can provide as well as expensive equipment. It will take time start small and save your money and reinvest in your company.

Brent it could be argued that selling your company means that you are bailing ship before it sinks completely. If you have the man power, customer base, and a solid business model there would be no need to jump ship because it should be more profitable than needing to get out and go into just inspection work. None of the successful shop owners I know have any plans on selling while they are making money. As owners they are not doing all the labor...seems fishy.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 08-28-2012 00:27
R2D2, Anybody with ANY business sense knows that to sell a business you want it to be showing a "PROFIT".!!!!!!!:yell::yell: Banks which are the biggest capitalist in the free world won't lend money to "bums/no money types". The best test to see if somebody is serious about starting a business is "ask them to put up their house/residence for collateral". A wise man long gone from this world told me years ago as he  laughed " BOB  theres' nuthin' like DEBT to get you up and movin' to get something done, early in the morning":twisted::twisted: From Pittsburgh home of dem' STIILERS
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-28-2012 01:36
ROFLMFAO!!!
- - By Weldemupblue (*) Date 08-27-2012 07:08
Brent i noticed you decided to correct your reply, yes d.17.1 is areospace not automotive.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-27-2012 11:30
As it was in parenthesis and had question marks around it, it should have been obvious I was sure at the time.  So what.  It still has no bearing on the work you are currently doing and especially NONE to the Pipeline work you say you want to go do. 

So, I'm actually going to take a moment and try to straighten something out. 

My first post was entirely a suggestion, as you requested, to get in there and keep going.  Don't get discouraged.  Others said the same thing.

Then, I asked some questions with my post explaining more about how I do business because of the type of business, state laws where I live, code requirements from D1.1, IBC, AISC, etc.  Paperwork may not make the company, but it certainly supports, verifies, and legalizes the company.  You were not the 'wanna bes' I referred to.  It was not about you.  It was about those I know in my area who work in their driveway, no licenses, no insurance, etc.  They come in, bid jobs at 50% of the proper rate for legitimate businesses, less than the cost of the materials, mess up the job, get crosswise of inspectors and shutdown by the city, leave down with the customer's down payment and someone else has to go in and fix it.  And, I stated that your state laws for some of the licenses I must have may differ.  There was absolutely no belittling of you. 

All of a sudden, I get blasted for my response.  A little guilt maybe.  You decide.  I don't care.  Shooting from the hip when we were trying to help just let's us know who you are.  You didn't want advice, you wanted to show off and got called on it.  You don't have paperwork and now you and Peter are trying to justify your good?? work.

Funny how I get singled out for my questions and comments when others were saying the same things.  Even Tommy, who Peter said was the ONLY helpful one.  Someone better re-read his and all other posts.  But my comments were, until that point, totally advicing to keep at it and merely asking some questions about what you had already done to make yourself a proper business representative.

As to the sale of my company...I can't do inspections of my own shop's work as far as being a special inspector.  I need to distance myself.  I had to make a choice and I so enjoy the inspections and my decision to be one that my wife and I chose that course.  It means parting with a part of my life that I really enjoy as well.  I love welding.  This shop has and is making us good money.  But, if Peter knew anything about me and the AWS Code of Ethics he would know the predicament I am in.  This is a small community.  Fewer people in our whole county than in your city.  And Yavapai County is the largest land mass county in the USA.  I can't own a welding shop and do my job locally as an inspector. 

I am not impressed guys.  What started out as suggestions to help you was shot down for no reason.  If you don't want to take my advice, DON'T.  But there was no need for the negative comments.  It only revealed something of your character to us. 

Now, you can do whatever you want with ALL the advice offered by myself and others and I'm still going to wish you 'Good Luck', and advise you to be careful how you respond to people. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 08-28-2012 17:59
Brent, Welcome to My World !!! Now you have your very own Internet Stalker !!!!!:lol::lol::lol:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-28-2012 21:57
I was just getting so jealous of you Cactus that I had to try to rise to the occassion and be one of the elite.

:lol:  ROFLOL  :lol:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Portable repair.