Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / question about prequalified WPS
- - By SheWelder (*) Date 08-25-2012 12:55
I was asked to review a WPS that is for an internally threaded coupling (2" diameter) prepped for a J-Groove to a column - the fellow that submitted is arguing that it is a prequalified joint.  My contention is that the coupling is considered pipe and pipe to plate is not prequalified.   [img][/img]
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-25-2012 13:48
We had something similar a while back on one of our projects and we used a TC-P8 Pre-qualified PJP WPS with a 1/4" reinforcing fillet....just like you have shown in your picture.....IIRC the coupling was made of A36 material, welding instructions were included in the boxes with the couplings. Apparently these are for DBAs that are threaded and screw into the coupling after the beam that the couplings are welded on is erected.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 08-25-2012 14:33
But, since there is no fluid flow through either the coupling or rebar(?), it is now just an HSS, structural tubing, or as we called it in my Ironworker days "O Beam". So as long as the material falls within a prequalified group, you should be good.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-25-2012 18:19
The missing link in this discussion is whether the joint is CJP or PJP. If CJP is not a requirement, it is prequalified as long as the edge preparation is such that there is no burn through. If CJP is required, and it is a single sided groove weld without backing; it is not prequalified.

Whether there is fluid flow or not is not germane to the question.

More information please.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By SheWelder (*) Date 08-27-2012 01:32
the couplings are to receive threaded rebar (the column is in a grade beam and they are using this method of attachment to the column)  it is being called out as a PJP -  I was going to call AWS tomorrow looks like John W had just about the same thing I'm doing on my job  so think I'll give him this one.   Thanks for the input!  First time since 1995 I've come to the forum with a question...  appreciate your help!  :wink:
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 08-27-2012 10:13
These couplings are very common in the steel industy.  Yes pre-qualified, yes p/p.  Your good to go.
Parent - By PWCameron (**) Date 08-31-2012 01:51
The joint is prequalified. If it is welded in the position shown (5G/5F) the progression would need to be vertical up.  If the procedure calls for vertical down progression, the procedure would not be prequalified.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-27-2012 11:32 Edited 08-27-2012 14:32
I dug around in the files a bit. Here is some literature on the brand(Lenton #5 EL16C2) that we had to use on a project.
http://www.erico.com/part.asp?part=EL16C2

http://www.erico.com/eCatFiles/0000003/t011_r02773_v0.pdf

Edit: I took a picture of an extra coupling that I found this morning on top of my IIW block just for a size reference.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-27-2012 11:36
In case you run up on these, here is another brand(Bar Splice Products) of coupling that was used on a previous project.
Attachment: barsplicecoupling.pdf (178k)
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 09-04-2012 10:24
So the (3/8" R).  Does the R stand for the radius of the material or is the 3/8" the weld size since it's in paraenthesis?

The R is throwing me off.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-04-2012 18:45
The bevel radius is not usually shown by the welding symbol.

The depth of the bevel and the weld size are usually listed to the left of the weld symbol.

Al
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 09-05-2012 10:27
ok, thanks
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / question about prequalified WPS