Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "Jensen precast expands metal shop operations (reno gazzete)
- - By nevadanick (**) Date 08-30-2012 01:00
This is on the AWS homepage, the link for the story doesnt work, but this is in my town and I can guarantee this is Definetly NOT a place any welder with the smallest bit of skills, self respect or intelligence wants to work lol.  Im not gonna make a long story out of it but I can say they constantly have an ad running for welders, and they pay about 12 an hour and if you havent guessed "spanish speaking a plus"  lol.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-30-2012 13:35
Sounds like the precast places around here! Must be some sort of National guidelines on how to operate a precast company!! :lol:
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-30-2012 13:42
That pretty much sums up the so-called weldor "shortage" in my opinion.  Here in Jacksonville, FL, I saw an ad last year "crying" for "experienced D1.1 certified" weldors, vertical and overhead. The pay?  $8 an hour!!!!!  No suprise there is a "shortage" when one can get the same money with no skills at the local McDonalds!  I was making over $8 an hour in my first welding job when I was in college back in 1978.  With 3% inflation, that works up to nearly $20 an hour entry level in today's money.
Parent - - By nevadanick (**) Date 08-31-2012 01:51
They ask in their ad that applicants can pass a 3 and 4g unlimited weld test with 7018, dual shield and 232, ha  ,  I doubt anyone there has papers or the ability, but who knows, there are alot of places that pay crap for welding.    Im sure the AWS had good intentions of mentioning the expanding buisness but I wouldnt even agknowledge their existence.  They are not a place that promotes welding.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-31-2012 11:10
That is a ad placed by a HR hack. I know of a job posting for a entry level job starting at $41K per year where ability to pass the API 1104 multiple and repair are required and CWI, API 653 and API 570 are "perfered". This is a major oil company. In reality the people they hire are breathing and pass the whzz test. People do not get into HR because they are smart. They are either too ugly to be a hooker or to scared to steal.
We can debate the value of entry level welding positions and what companies are paying in another thread as this tends to raise emotional issues. And it will get sent to OTB&G.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-31-2012 02:22
You were doing pretty well back then. I finished My tool & die apprentishship in 1981 and made $7.57/hour as a journyman.

I shortly left that shop for a better paying shop, at $8.50/hour.
After I was there a while I learned that I was making less than their machinist apprentices.:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-31-2012 12:24
Ha!

In 1980 I was doing Hydro-Ceramic Maintenance for $2.65 an hour

Dishwasher

My first welding gig paid about 4 bucks an hour and that was prolly all I was worth at the time...
They will get what they pay for..........always
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-31-2012 12:41
In 1980 I was manually stuffing envelopes for a mass mailing company for $2.65/hr. And left there the same year to unload freight trucks at Leggett's department store for the same amount of money before starting to work for my current employer for $0.25 more per hour.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-31-2012 14:20
I guess I was one of the blessed ones during the late 70's and early 80's.  I had joined the Boilermakers.  First in a pipe manufacturing plant at over $12-14 per hour (although, come to think of it that was probably figuring in shift differential and graveyard only worked 7 but got paid for 8.  Days 8 + .5 lunch, Swing 7.5 + .5 lunch, Grave 7 + .5 lunch = 24 hrs. I think days were about $11-12).  Then went into field work on petroleum storage tanks, mining tanks, pressure vessels (CO on the oil shale retort).  The field work was at $20-25 plus because of the remote locations of some of the jobs I worked we got some pretty good travel and per dium.  We were bringing home anywhere from $800-1000 per week.  My first welding jobs in the mid 70's were paying $7-9 per hour.  May have started one at about $5 but got 3 raises in less than 6 months that put me over $7.

Back to the OP though, I hope I really see things starting to change but we are still in quite a low economic market.  And there are way too many "welders" who don't really have the 'skills' but can strike an arc and are willing to take anything to feed the family.  And I won't criticize them for that.  Better than them sitting around on welfare.  They can have those jobs.  Just keep them away from jobs were the public safety comes into play until after they have really honed their skills and gotten jobs with reputable companies. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "Jensen precast expands metal shop operations (reno gazzete)