Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / E6010/FLUXCORE
- - By carlkukol Date 08-31-2012 17:25
Is it a  recommended practice to use E6010 for a root pass and then use fluxcore such as E71-T1 for the fill and cover or should i avoid it?
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 08-31-2012 18:49
*DISCLAIMER* This is just what I have seen done in this sitution...take it for what it's worth.

I'm assuming you are dealing with gaps in your fit up, hence the use of the 6010. Some of the shops I have worked in would use GMAW-S, with ER70S-6 wire for this purpose. This will close up gaps as nicely as the 6010 does. I'm sure this isn't on the WPS, so technically it's not per code, but if they're going to do it (and you know they do) at least this keeps the 70K tensile requirements in line. As a pipewelder by trade, when working in the field with structural stuff I would always run a quick bead with 6010 before going over it with the 7018, especially if I had a gap or dirty steel to work with. Works great when welding that nasty galvanized uni-strut, too.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-31-2012 21:15
We really need more info to correctly answer your question.

1) What code, if any, are you working to?
2) What materials, tube steel, plate, shapes, are you working with?
3) Do you have welding procedures that are being followed?
4) Is there an engineer involved with the job and thus plans and specs?
5) Is there a PQR to establish this procedure?

If we are dealing with API 1104 then that would be an allowable procedure.

If we are dealing with D1.1 then that is NOT an acceptable procedure and definitely not recommended practice. 

Then, there are more codes. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / E6010/FLUXCORE