Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / lead reels or drop wells ?
- - By texwelder (***) Date 09-02-2012 22:39 Edited 09-02-2012 23:08
Just what you fellas prefer and why ? I see everything these days from reels to drop wells, roll ups to the bull horn hangers .
Parent - - By 2006strat (***) Date 09-03-2012 02:41
I bought some lead reals before i built my bed.  I liked them at first but hastle some times.  If you burn pritty hot, the leads will start to roll on you.  I just finished my bed, and wished i never spent the time for the drop wells.  The drop wells or ok, but if your in a hurry and just want to get the fock out then the wells are a pain.  I like the hangers.   Easy to roll out, roll up, keeps the leads cool, easier to keep clean.  I think the hangers are the way to go. In my opinion.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 09-03-2012 03:53
I never had reels on my rig. Having used reels on other's rigs, the only reels I liked were those with carefully designed electric winders.
Most reel systems downfall I see are in my opinion, the reels are too small of diameter.
In this day and age of "methed up" copper thieves, I would probably build my next set up with wells again for security reasons only.
Thieves are by nature predators of opportunity (out of sight, out of mind!). So unless they have reconned you or have specialized in welding lead heists, you are safer with wells and your $1000.00 copper investment tucked away from sight of the zombie tweakers.
The wells do make for a neat and orderly looking bed, but are a pain if you have a short bed, tons of gear, muddy leads and in wintertime can be as stiff as a honeymoon johnson first thing in the morning... don't lay too flat on uneven terrain/tripping hazard.

For overall speed and ease (manually operated) of lead storage, a large looped pair of hangers gets my vote.
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 09-03-2012 10:50 Edited 09-03-2012 19:33
I am going to put lockable wells on this rig I am building right know for several reason clean and safe. I was just wondering the hangers would be fast but not slick looking. But like I said wells protect my investment twenty years ago would have been a different story these crack heads are everywhere these days.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-03-2012 13:03
I have had reels on my rig and only reels. I used to roll them up by hand in the beginning but on days when you burn pounds and pounds of rod and your arm feels like a twizzler at the end of the day, I'm glad I have my lead reels. I've thought about lead wells, probably don't have the patience for those when I'm in a hurry, heck, I skip to many lunches as it is because I've got gear scattered to the wind and don't want to bother picking it up to go eat for 30 minutes. I have not put much thought into wraps either. I do have a wrap for my oxy/acet hose but not enough room on the bed for two more with all the stuff I got piled up on it.

When I was out January thru April living in a hotel this year I was concerned about my leads. Would unbolt the reels at night and drop them into my toolbox on the back of the bed, then install in the morning. It took about 10-15 minutes to install/uninstall but got to be a pain at the end of the day. I did come up with a solution however. I bought a 5/8 cable with hoops on each end for a lock. I would feed the cable thru the holes in the side of the reels several times then bought one of those high end locks, a bolt cutters nightmare type of lock. Put the lock in a spot that would be hard to feed a bolt cutter into and locked them up. Slept better but always got a first floor room, parked the truck with her backside near the window. Go to messing with my rig and I'm gonna introduce them to Mr. Hornady.

I was in a pretty good area but right off the highway. Some of the places I've seen you guys going into and I believe I'd want to park my truck in the room with me!!
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 09-03-2012 04:15
Hang em up. But if you want wells I have a set of 12" about 15" deep I'd part with they have starless steel mesh in the bottom
Parent - By atc250r (**) Date 09-07-2012 01:05
Buy these.  You will never regret it.  I have the propane, oxy/acet, 2 lead reels, and remote reel.  And the skid unit to mount my machine and reels.  Top quality.  Any questions, ask away!

http://alumareel.com/
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 09-07-2012 02:42
Why not have reels that drop down into lockable wells?
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 09-08-2012 01:51
I have thought about that but cramped for room
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-07-2012 02:45
If I was doing it again. Just as before. 100% Tidweld Reels. There are none better
- By Rig Hand (***) Date 09-04-2012 00:33
I have wells on my truck that hold 125' of lead each and has a lockable lid. I built a set of bullhorns that attack to my armature and wrap 50 footers up on them. The shorter leads are a lot handier for firinglines/tack rigs, fab work and easier on not so talented helpers. I only use my long leads as needed, mostly the deeper tie-in holes. I was wearing out the first 30' of my long leads and would end up trimming then until I was only left with about 80-90 then would have to buy more, usually every 2 years.

Just an idea,
T-bag
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / lead reels or drop wells ?