Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT Navships Calibration Block Question
- - By thirdeye (***) Date 09-03-2012 03:17
I'm reviewing a customer spec that is requesting the use of a Navships UT cal block, for flaw depth verification following calibration with an IIW block.  I don't work with any of the Navships specifications, but have looked at catalogs this evening.  I find physical block size at 12" X 3" X 1.25", hole size at 3/64, and looking at a catalog photograph only it appears the first hole is 1" from the edge, the next 5 holes are on 2" centers, and there is 1" from the last hole to the edge of the block.  Is this the correct spacing (center to center) of the holes?

Please excuse my ignorance, but am I correct that this block is used for shear wave calibration? , and not a straight beam block? And although the customer spec references "verification of depth" only,.... how is this block typically used?  Can someone give me a summary of the calibration procedure for the block's intended use?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-04-2012 03:12
You cannot do your job without the appropriate references.

Al
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 09-04-2012 03:53 Edited 09-04-2012 03:58
Precisely.... but like I said, this is one cal block I am not familiar with.  At work today I used a sound path overlay on a sketch (with the assumption my guess on the hole location in my question was correct) and I can see the value of this block.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT Navships Calibration Block Question