Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SSPC Vs NACE
- - By workismyhobby Date 09-04-2012 01:47
I have read quite a bit but never posted so please let me know If this is in the wrong forum /tread location. I currently work in the structural inspection by preforming visual and nondestructive inspection on buildings and bridges; I hope to branch off into other areas in the future.I have pickEd up my Cwi / Mt level 2 / UT level 2 and would like to add a painting certification. I do get to perform some visual inspection on blasted and coated surfaces from time to time. I would like to further my knowledge of coatings and increase my future employment opportunities. I have been looking into the NACE CIP coatings inspection cert and the SSPC PCI certs and would like anybody with experience to let me know there option of these programs. I have heard and read that the two programs have a lot of the same basic information with NACE being a little more in-depth on corrosion and more on price. I would like to invest my time and money in the more versatile program and the program with more potential to grow and help me move forward in the future.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-04-2012 03:05
Work,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Hope the information you have read has been helpful as you have gotten to know us. 

I have heard a lot of positive feedback about the NACE program and have it on my personal To-Do List.  But, hopefully others here who are more familiar with the coatings programs will help out. 

Again, welcome. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 09-04-2012 03:59
workismyhobby,

I do not have it, but a NACE II is on the to get list.
All my Inspector friends that stay busy on the Spool Bases, off shore lay barges, and off shore platforms have a NACE cert to back up the CWI. And they get paid more than just a CWI.
If you have the opportunity to get it, I would sure recommend it.
Besides, in this game, the more certs the more money, the more jobs you are able to pick and choose from.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-04-2012 13:25
If you plan on getting a return in income from your certification, as I suspect you do, then the NACE cert is the way to go. I have CIP Level II. Its not an easy test.  I would suggest getting the materials and studying hard. The book for CIP II is 350 pages. Granted, not all of it is coatings stuff that needs to be retained, but a goodly portion of it. You will not retain it all in a week course if you have no experience. I would also recommend you do them as close together as possible since you will draw upon Level I info for Level II.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-04-2012 15:01
If you're just looking for a better paycheck, NACE CIP inspectors win hands down vs a CWI with Level II NDT certs. I took my NACE CIP Level I back a few years ago(2007) and was amazed at the pay levels the guys in the class with me made, and what they expected $$'s when they passed the exam. Most of these in the class with me were inspectors who were familiar with piping and tanks, very little had any structural steel experience. The NACE CIP class is fairly tough without prior knowledge of coatings, so far, I'm the only guy from my company that has passed the exam, and several of our employees have taken it multiple times without success. I'm sending two more guys again this Spring to see if they can pass it, because I need other people in my paint department certified besides myself.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-04-2012 16:52
john,
I can testify to it being a wooly booger for those with little paint background, such as myself. In Level II they spend a lot of time talking about coatings on concrete. What do I give a F about coatings on concrete. But you better learn it. And learn it well. And you won't just be talking about epoxies, iron oxides, and inorganic zincs. And you'll get testing regimes as well. I retain as well as anybody and I was studying until 10:00 each night. The good news is the guys that teach these classes for NACE are top of the line.
Parent - - By workismyhobby Date 09-04-2012 18:07
Believe me I do not take it lightly and I'm sure it is a tough exam, I've been researching both programs nace and sspc for a while now.  just looking for more information on which program hold more weight in the industry, I know Nace is quite a bit more expensive than sspc, but I don't want that to be the only factor that leads to my decision.  I guess for lack of a better way which 1 is going to be more bang for the buck. I don't mind spending more money if it is going to bring me more money and more opportunities in the future.  I would hate to overspend on Nace if sspc was just as recognized for there inspector program. I apologize the punctuation is off to a bit I'm using my droid to write this and it's a little tougher than on the computer
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-04-2012 23:20 Edited 09-05-2012 11:13
In the Structural Steel world, NACE and SSPC are joining forces, the AISC(American Institute of Steel Construction) has worked to recognize these paint standards and have adopted a Special Paint Endorcement for the fabricators who hold an AISC certification and want to paint their own work and be recognized as a Certified Paint shop. I didn't attend the SSPC classes so I can't speak for the expertise that you may find there, but the instructors who taught my NACE class had certification numbers in the double digits(In other words, they have been at this for a long time. They have been there and have done that, most have had or are currently running paint inspection programs of their own and teach on the side.
Best wishes in your search, keep us posted how you are making out with this.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 09-05-2012 10:45
2 years ago I took a one week seminar through SSPC to achieve my level I certification for coatings inspector.  I found the class and instructors extremely helpful and professional.  It was ALOT of new inforamtion and verbage to absorb during that week (also it was during mardi gras in new orleans so I had other distracitons).
I took the certification test and passed the first time, it's similair to a CWI test, with both hands on and knowledge type tests.  I'm glad I did it and hope to expand on it.  Good luck.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / SSPC Vs NACE