Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / SA 312 304 pipe from SA240 plate
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 09-05-2012 17:21
I have a purchase order for SA-312 304 pipe.
This pipe was made from a plate of SA-240.
Looking over the Chems I noticed that the Chromium was below 18.0 (per SA-312)
I questioned this to the supplier and the reply was…. If you go to the SA-240 spec it ref SA-480 in 480 there is an allowance to go under the min of 18.0.
I guess that’s fine for plate, but right now my PO says SA312 and the MTR states it meets SA-312.
I asked why we are looking at SA-240 but received no reply.
Have I missed something?
Is there a reason to be looking at SA-240 when I clearly have and asked for SA312?
My opinion is it has not met SA-312 and SA 240 no longer applies.
Any opinions?
Its odd to me
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-06-2012 06:51
My opinion is you are dead on the money with your thoughts.
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 09-07-2012 20:35
Sounds like your supplier is giving you the run-around.

Receiving Dept would have rejected and sent the truck back if this were the case at our facility.

The referenced document is A 480 Spec for General Reqs for Flat-Rolled Stainless & Heat-Resisting Steel Plate, Sheet & Strip.

The only referenced docs in both SA-240 and SA-312 are A 370 and E 112.

You ordered SA-312 304 pipe for a reason.  If your contract, code, standard, service conditions, engineering reqs allow substitutiion then that's your choice not your supplier.

Just my 2 cents or less,
QCRobert
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-10-2012 23:58
Hi!
I have learnt that it sometimes pays to be an ar#sehole in situations like this!
Get on the phone to your supplier and quote the PO at them! They are trying to pull the wool over your eyes!

:grin:
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-11-2012 21:08
SA-240 would be standard plate used for welded 312 but I see nothing in 312 that allows any variance in the chemistry required. I see nothing in 312 that references specifically 240 either. So 240 would not be prohibited, of course, but it still has to comply with 312 unless there is something I missed.
Chemically and metallurgically the difference is probably meaningless and is related to processing issues and the fact that the committees are different guys, but your PO is your PO.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 09-12-2012 17:59
thank you all for the input.......would seem like an open shut (read the code) case....but i guess not.
I cant accept the plate or the answer from them.
Why would any1 be looking in 240 for A312!!!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-12-2012 20:11
Mike,
Some of the welded pipe specifications will designate the plate to be used in which case the plate chemistry is acceptable. I do not see that in 312. I just don't see any way to get to 240 from 312 even though everyone would understand that 240 is probably the most likely to be used. So, IMO, 312 is saying you can use any plate you want but it has to comply with these requirements of which chemistry is one.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 09-13-2012 19:20
but plate chem and piupe chems are not the same it meets plate but not the pipe...i can check in pipe to plate chems....never have before
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 09-14-2012 19:33
Return plate, stop payment, buy from a different supplier.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-14-2012 20:31
Mike,

Neither SS nor ASME are my strong suits by any means but I would like to give you another perspective on this:

If I, as a TPI, were to come into your facility to take a look at progress and compliance then I am going to reject the use of this material as it is not what my customer specified for his job.  I don't care what they made it out of.  The end product has to be what my/your customer wants.  It is your job to make sure that when I, as the TPI, look at it I find all aspects to be in order so that our customer is happy. 

You ordered it right.  They need to supply it right.  And since it is not what you ordered, send it back.  They need to make it right.  No money until they do.  They can argue till the cows come home, and even later if they want, but it is not what you ordered and it is not what the customer ordered or needs. 

It actually is an open and shut case.  And the ball is in your court.  As others have said, they are just trying to buffalo their way through.  Don't let them do it.  They have an responsibility to give you what you ordered.  If they can use that material to do it, fine.  But with the information available thus far, it does not appear they have.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / SA 312 304 pipe from SA240 plate