Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Energy Drinks a Warning
- - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 09-05-2012 23:37
Was issued orders no energy drinks would be allowed on company property, facilities or right of way. Contractors were warned possession of energy drink by workers would be considered the same as possession of alcohol.
How bout dem apples!
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 09-05-2012 23:57
Wow.  Is the company part of a religious cult that forbids use of caffine or what?  You would think they would encourage it.  Every place I have ever worked had a coffee pot going all day.
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 09-06-2012 17:34
From what I have read, "chain drinking" these energy drinks have led to mini strokes, heart problems, including heart attacks and accidents in workers as young as 24. The drinks listed with this information are along the lines of Red Bull, Monster, Rock Star, NOS, etc. I have not seen Gatorade, Powerade or other similar drinks listed with these type of problems. The medical side effects are a big part of the ban on this type of energy drink. FWIW.

Chris
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-06-2012 17:42

>"chain drinking"

I think that was part of the problem with these drinks on college campus',  was guzzlin alcohol and chasing with energy drinks put a few college kids in the hospital and some in the mourge.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-06-2012 21:16
Caffeine, two, three and more times what you'll get in a cup of coffee. I think Jolt has even more, a crazy amount but can't remember how much they said from a story I read not long ago.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 09-06-2012 00:11
No reason given?  Geez, what's next?
Parent - By mechan (**) Date 09-06-2012 00:12
There would have been a mutiny in basic training from the MTI's.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 09-06-2012 00:54
Energy drinks have been banned at my work place because last summer (2011) they were connected with people  falling out from heat exhaustion.

This was the determination made by the company and right or wrong, they have the fuzzy pen that writes the rules.

Griff
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 09-06-2012 01:42
Man I have to say I am with them on this one because some of those drinks have alcohol in them, they cause kidney stones bad and they are related to heat exhaustion
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 09-06-2012 01:44
I don't blame them everybody I see drinking energy drinks in either dense as a brick or full of nervous energy. Either way is dangerous.
Parent - By Oneatatime (**) Date 09-06-2012 03:01
I have never tried one, wont be starting any time soon lol just sounds like a bad idea to me, i see people drink them things non stop day in day out, i don't understand how they can afford them!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-06-2012 03:34
Coffee thermos still ok?

If yes.... Well...er... um...

Sorry kids
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-06-2012 03:46
I'm with you Lawrence, how can they ban one if they haven't banned all? 

Also, define "Energy Drinks".  Are we including Gatorade, Propel, and other such electrolyte replacing drinks which are often labelled as "Energy Drinks"?  If so, good luck.  There is quite a track record of their success to replace needed minerals in the body.  Doctors in AZ will warn people NOT to drink just water.  Water in the kind of volume required to replace moisture lost to perspiration will cleanse all the vitamins and minerals out of you.  You can get dehydrated from drinking pure water day after day. 

I have mixed my fluid intake for years from Lemonade, Gatorade, Propel, Water, and Fruit Juice.

Now, if we are talking only about the previously mentioned caffeine drinks that people take to keep them awake,  I have a problem with those.  And soda as well.  So many of those drinks contribute to dehydration. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 09-06-2012 04:27
Next they'll be after my Tchai tea and bee pollen break.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-06-2012 12:52
Where's the like button!! I'm a Barry's or Thompson(Irish Teas) drinker myself, couple sugar and milk. Glad to see a fellow tea sipper though!!! :lol::lol:
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 09-06-2012 11:56
I agree if I drink three cups of coffee I'm shaking so who not ban coffee then.
Parent - By Smo-man 2 Date 09-16-2012 04:23
I am sticking with my Bud Light ugh I meant water
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-06-2012 12:46
If they are proving***** that accidents are linked to the drinks... it's hard to argue that the company actually cares about safety of people and equipment..

I'm not going on the warpath until coffee is banned........  Selfish Lar
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-06-2012 13:09
I agree. Straight water just does not do it at least in my individual testing. I've drank a gallon or more in a day and still cramping after 10-12 hours of flat our sweating, shirt soaked, pants soaked plain water when your sweating like that all day is useless. I've come home and after my welding shirt dries it has white stains on it. I'm not for certain but believe it's the salt and minerals from sweat. 

I've had some Red Bulls, Monsters and they taste pretty good to me but for me,

(A) they cost to darn much

(B) After drinking several of them in a row or all day long(Not in heat, just drinking) they do absolutely nothing to me. I can drink one and fall asleep easily, drink two and still fall asleep. I tested while attending classes for GM at the factory. Drank three of them between 8 a.m. when class started and 11:30 when we went to lunch. Nothing, nodding off in class, took a nap in the truck during lunch. Yeah, they suck for me. A friend of mine said he had one and felt like he was bouncing off walls.

I use "Pedialyte". It's quite pricey but better than Gatorade and other stuff in my opinion. At lunch I'll have a coke but the rest of the day is water and pedialyte. When it's hot, no beer, no coffee. Beer dehydrates, coffee, it's just to darn hot for coffee.

Banning the drinks, well, if you own the business I guess you can but if they are drinking them while on the job they'll just drink them before, after or sneak a drink in their rig. It's not an illegal drink, it's not like drinking a six pack of beer while on the job. All I can say is good luck.
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 09-06-2012 10:31
Like I said those things are bad and I mean bad for your kidneys I several people that have got stones from one girl has to drink a certain amount of orange juice everyday after having her kidneys stones removed. I drink coffee, water, and sweet tea at work and cold beer after and I feel fine and have way more energy than those people on those drinks heck half the guys I know must be slugs without drinking them because they are as slow and lazy as heck after drinking to of them
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 09-06-2012 13:11
Tex,
Explain to me how energy drinks make your kidneys retain enough calcium to produce kidney stones?  I possible please direct me to a reliable source or study with these findings.  Curious minds want to know.:wink:

I have been afflicted with three bouts of excrutiating kidney stones dating back to 1968.

QCRobert
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 09-06-2012 15:21
qcrobert

Caffeine in coffee, tea, soda, energy drinks, and foods can place a strain on your kidneys.
Because caffeine is a stimulant, it can stimulate blood flow, increasing blood pressure and stress on the kidneys.
A 2002 study in Kidney International showed that long-term caffeine consumption exacerbated chronic kidney failure in obese and diabetic rats.
Caffeine consumption has also been linked to kidney stone formation by increasing calcium excretion in urine.
It is a diuretic thus promotes urination.

I quit drinking coffee in 1974.
I quit Dr Peppers and sweet tea @3 years ago.
I quit gatorade @5 years ago when I learned that if you are not doing strenuous exercising (really working all your muscles) it hurts more than helps.
I haven't missed them a bit and can tell they weren't good for me just tasted good
Water and diet is what I use to avoid the cramps.
Good advice on Kidney health can be found
http://www.webnat.com/articles/KidneyProblems.asp

Marshall
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 09-06-2012 22:36
Interesting.

QCRobert
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 09-07-2012 12:42
My first bout with kidney stones put me in the hospital for 8 days.

There are two kinds of stones, citric & calcium, of which calcium is the most common and what I was afflicted with in 1968.

Although beer, dairy products incl bread are not recommended.  My doctor advised me to drink "anything" that would cause me to urinate thus flushing my kidneys.  Seemed like a no brainer to me that "beer is not just for breakfast." :grin:

Some bodies naturally retain calcium in larger quanities than others and can clump together to become stones as such.

Luckily I have not experienced any painful passing of stones in over yrs.

QCRobert
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-07-2012 12:54
I've had kidney stones too.....not a fun ordeal. I could always tell when a situation was coming on by the soreness in my back, and then when I rushed off to the bathroom with extreme nausea/vomiting, that would confirm what I was in for for the next little while.
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 09-07-2012 02:26
I will see what I kind find I am just going off of experiences of people I know one kid I know got bad stomach ulcers from these things now granted this is what they said the doctor told caused this but who knows what else they where doing
- - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-06-2012 12:14 Edited 09-06-2012 18:18
Compare a Rockstar, Monster, NOS or an AMP to coffee. Completly different animals.

jrw159
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 09-06-2012 12:21
Just the smell of those make me queasy.
Had a couple of bad experiences with RedBull/Jaeger Bombs and I do believe that cured me for life.
If you really want to abuse your taste buds, try the energy chewing gum.
I'll hang with my coffee and Coca Cola. They have served me well for over 50 years.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-06-2012 12:47 Edited 09-06-2012 12:50
I tried a Red Bull *once*

It was like liquid skittles

This......... Is what keeps my thermos happy!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-06-2012 13:40
I don't have anything to add here except just an observation and opinion, but the guys here at work who consume those energy drinks on a daily basis, well they are the ones who seem to be dragging along all day with no gitty-up and appear to be fighting knodding off on the job. Now I don't have any clue about their nightlife and if they get enough sleep but I'm leaning towards their dependance on those drinks to keep them going and it is not working out quite as well as it may have when they first started drinking those things. Again, just my opinion based on an observance.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-06-2012 17:48
Maybe my observation isn't all that far out of line
Here's an article on the subject
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46764607/ns/health-mens_health/t/guzzling-energy-drinks-more-tired-ever/
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-06-2012 12:48
I tried the RedBull back when it first came out and it would make my hair itch and my eye twitch. :grin:

I can not even imagine how bad the gum would taste. :eek:

I don't drink any kind of energy drinks and I very rarely drink coffee.

jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-07-2012 02:38
Man John,

I thought your eye just did that twitching thing all the time.  :lol:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-07-2012 12:58
Brent,
  Add a RedBull and it is like the shutter on a high speed camera. :eek: :lol:

Take care,
jrw159 :cool:
Parent - By 2006strat (***) Date 09-06-2012 15:29
Your not lieing about those mixed drinks with redbull.  It will get you drunk and ready to fight in no time.   Kinda just keeps you awake longer(drunk that wont go to sleep).  I know one thing, if you get sick off yager bombs, you will smell redbull for week.  It took me one night to decide that **** wasnt for me.  My last job didnt want energy drinks on the job eathier.  They say it dehydrates you more as you sweet.  Your heart pumps harder causing you to sweet more.  So they say, but they dont have a problem putting you in a hole for 12-16hrs a day then come back and do it again tomorrow. 

I will stick with my coffee to.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Energy Drinks a Warning