Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / T, Y, and K tubular connections
- By wilco Date 09-08-2012 00:19
To all my friends.

What is your interpretation?

AWS D1.1: Annex 'K': Definition for:

*tubular connection.-A connection in the portion of a
structure that contains two or more intersecting members, at least one of which is a tubular member.

*tubular joint.-A joint in the interface created by a tubular member intersecting another member (which may or may not be tubular).

I can not find any where in D1.1 that specifies a Tubular Connection is strictly Tube to Tube.

Now, I have some old time inspector friends disagreeing with me (quite a few). They say Tubular T, Y, and K connections are only tube steel to tube steel, not tube steel to plate or beam. (then why is pipe 24" per table 4.10 note C, the large radius?)

They bring up Clause 2, figures 2.14 thru 2.20. The details only show tube to tube. This Clause is for design. Yes, it has pretty details! (of tube to tube for design purposes).

In Figure 3.2, you can argue that 2 of the details are plate. and figure 3.5, three of the details are plate.

Please see D1.1- Commentary C-4.23 and figure C-4.1

Here's the dilemma? Welder Qualification table 4.10. Plate welding:
Pipe and tube connections, T ,Y, and K.   CJP.    Not allowed for plate welders?

My interpretation: you must be certified in pipe or Box 6GR to weld CJP tube to plate, beams, angles, etc....(A flat surface). Correct?

For instance: CJP weld of a HSS 8x8x1/2 column to a base plate.
Is a Box Tube "T" -connection.

I know this is a problem, most shops and field do not have 6GR qualified welders. I know this is often over looked and let pass.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / T, Y, and K tubular connections