Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "Passo Welding System" by Saipem
- - By kkubasta Date 01-22-2003 22:42
Great Forum!

I'm interested in learning about the history of the "Passo Welding System" offered by Saipem (out of Italy). In case you're not familiar, the Passo System is an automated welding system designed for land and submarine pipeline applications. In particular, I'm very interested in the internal line-up clamp used by the Passo system during the root pass. The line-up clamp includes a back-up ring with copper shoes for avoiding contamination.

I have checked the Saipem web site and the Saibos web site (www.saibos.com/equipment/pipewelding/passo/main.htm), but I'm still looking for additional information. I've also found a brochure for the Passo System that indicates the entire system (presumably including the internal line-up clamp) has been operational since 1977 and was used extensively in offshore pipelines during the 1980's.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I could find any additional information regarding:
(1) historical brochures and/or advertisements distributed in the 1980's;
(2) old product catalogues for Saipem, regardless of whether it is specific to the Passo System;
(3) additional examples of use of the Passo System (including the internal line-up clamp) during the 1980's; and
(4) any other historical information.

Any help is appreciated!
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-05-2003 12:09
If I were you I`d do the following:
1. find out SAIPEM`s address from their site
2. write a letter to them, preferably on your (or your company) letterhead, explaining that you wish to have more information on the Passo welding procedure and also the reason you wish to have it
3. don`t send e-mails, send a letter and sign it. In my experience, e-mails are very seldom taken into consideration when asking for information. Letters, on the other hand, produce a better result.
Let me know if you have had success
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brasil
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "Passo Welding System" by Saipem