Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Pneumatic leak test
- - By MKNIK (*) Date 09-18-2012 23:39
hello to all the forum,
someone might suggest a rule or considerations I should attend a pneumatic test with nitrogen
regards
rusbeli
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-19-2012 16:48
Let someone else stand next to the vessel to look for leaks.

Al
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-19-2012 18:37
rusbeli,
pneumatic tests are quite dangerous if improperly carried out. That's why Al suggests (he's joking, of course) to have someone else to inspect the test instead of you.
Fact is that if a leak develops during a hydro test, a few drops (or milliliters, at the most) of water will spill out and nothing else will happen. On the contrary, if a leak develops during a pneumatic test, an explosion can occur, with dangerous results.
However, pneumatic tests are usual procedures in industrial plant erection. In these cases, they are conducted following a rigorous procedure that has been specified by the equipment manufacturer, the   engineering firm that designed the plant, the consulting engineer that has been appointed to make specialized recommendations, or by whoever has the authority to do that.
Back in my days of erector engineer I conducted several pneumatic test on boilers casings, which were to be airtight. The tests were carried out following the manufacturer's instructions, under the supervision of the manufacturer's field engineer. I also did the pneumatic test on a few refinery piping that was too far from a source of water. With the client's approval, we moved an air compressor close to the piping and the test was carried out following the procedure written by the engineering firm that designed the plant. Many years have passed and I don't remember the details. 
You don't say where you want to make the pneumatic test (equipment, piping?) nor why you're using nitrogen instead of air.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By MKNIK (*) Date 09-20-2012 04:57
Giovanni S. Crisi
very kind present their experience and scientific knowledge, in particular I have been very helpful.

is correct is to make a pipe pneumatic test (treated with nitrogen). I have information for hydrostatic testing, but not for what it says neumatica apart ASME B31.3.

like to congratulate for your great article concerning multiple repairs in low carbon steels by welding. I have more clear the subject by reading your article.

regards.

Rusbeli R.
Chiapas-México
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Pneumatic leak test