Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / MFL cost
- - By alkhiat (*) Date 09-28-2012 06:45
Dear,
Good day
Can anyone tell me the cost of using MFL to inspect  tank bottom plates
I need it as $/m
thanks alot
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-28-2012 09:00
I don't think we can give you an accurate MFL cost projection until the referee's are finished with their strike because of the following factors.

1. If the old Ref's come back they will of course be demanding more compensation which will increase the cost.
    2. If the old Ref's are fired and replacements come in permanantly, costs will be considerably reduced.

We will get it figured out pretty quick buddy.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 09-28-2012 10:47
Lawrence,
What have you been smoking ? :lol:
I thought it was the NFL referees that were on strike ?
Alkhiat,
There are a few very knowledgable "tankies" on the forum that may be able to help with Magnetic Flux Leakage (admit I had to look it up myself)
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-28-2012 11:04
As a foreigner, I think the replacement Ref's make the game more intresting..........
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-28-2012 13:39
That figure will vary with conditions. If your evaluating a bid to perform the work, I would suggest getting more bids.
I.E. if you only have 10 square meters, the cost will likely be more per square meter due to lack of quantity.
If you have say 500 square meters total, then the cost will usually be less per square meter.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 09-28-2012 19:26
ok guys,,,
what's an MFL??
Parent - - By alkhiat (*) Date 09-29-2012 08:28
dears,
I am talking about 120 m2
thanks
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-29-2012 09:55
Sorry, you have lost me!
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 09-29-2012 10:40
eekpod

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_flux_leakage
Magnetic flux leakage (MFL) is a magnetic method of nondestructive testing that is used to detect corrosion and pitting in steel structures, most commonly pipelines and storage tanks. The basic principle is that a powerful magnet is used to magnetize the steel. At areas where there is corrosion or missing metal, the magnetic field "leaks" from the steel. In an MFL tool, a magnetic detector is placed between the poles of the magnet to detect the leakage field. Analysts interpret the chart recording of the leakage field to identify damaged areas and hopefully to estimate the depth of metal loss. This article currently focuses mainly on the pipeline application of MFL, but links to tank floor examination are provided at the end.

Marshall
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 09-30-2012 00:39
Contact any AST inspection contractor. They will give you a quote based on square footage of the tank floor. They will also charge for travel, sub and vehicles. If you are half way around the world it is going to cost more than if it is a few miles from their office. Also if the scan is part of a package deal including a out of service inspection or is for several tanks in the same location the price can drop.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / MFL cost