Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / B5.1
- - By newinsp (**) Date 10-03-2012 14:31
B5.1 says only a SCWI can "develop welding procedures".  If a CWI is 'witnessing a procedure qualification' isn't it for the purpose of developing welding procedures? 

Was there always an SCWI level? 

I'm bracing for the onslaught.   :)  :red:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-03-2012 14:55 Edited 10-03-2012 15:00
The table you are referencing list the job responsibilities the inspector is expected to be capable of performing. Those subjects are included in the training, experience, and/or exams required for each level of certification.

There is a big difference between developing a WPS and simply witnessing the welding of a test coupon. The CWI does not have to demonstrate the ability to write a WPS or PQR. That does not mean the CWI cannot develop WPS', it simply means he has not demonstrated the ability to do so when qualifying for CWI status.

AWS is trying to align themselves with the European system of certification to comply with their requirements. We have the three levels of welding inspector, we are working on the certification of welding technicians, and we already have the certified welding engineer. Each level of certification has to include written examinations and demonstrated proficiency to attain certification. That is why AWS has so many different certifications. AWS strives to meet industry's needs to ensure our manufacturers are in a position to compete with manufacturers from other countries.  

Best regards - Al
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 10-03-2012 15:20
Oh. That makes sense to me now.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-03-2012 15:15
newinsp

Al said it better and first but

Where in AWS B5.1 does it limit this to SCWI only?

No witnessing and developing is two different things.

Again not enough information.

AWS D1.1 gives the manufacturer or contractor the responsibility of preparing a written WPS, the same are responsible for qualification Testing also.

1.3 Responsibility. It shall be the responsibility of the
employer to determine that the AWI/WI/SWI is capable
of performing the duties involved in his/her particular
welding inspection assignment.

Marshall
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 10-03-2012 15:25
Hi Marshal,

I was reading back through the B5.1, Table 1 (capabilities based on qualification level), a while back and was reading the Procedure Qualification section.  I had mentioned this to a former instructor (CWI) and it got him a little agitated, so I thought I'd pose it here.
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 10-04-2012 11:10
Thanks Marshal
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-03-2012 18:01
I'm going to copy my response to this that I posted in your other thread:

I'm going to go ahead and chime in here with maybe some different wording that MAY clarify your query:

It is not that ONLY an SCWI can do/develop welding procedures, ONLY the SCWI is expected/required to have that knowledge, experience, ability as part of his qualifications. 

There is nothing that PROHIBITS the CWI from developing WPS's if asked and they feel knowledgable enough to do so.  Many people, company employees, engineers, CWI's, etc find themselves without adequate training and knowledge when they actually start looking at D1.1, B2.1, and other reference material with all the essential and non-essential variables listed, types/grades of steel, welding processes and all their variables, manufacturer's specifications for electrodes, gases, etc, etc, etc.  There are many beginners at engineering firms who are tasked with evaluating the submitted WPS's who haven't a clue and can really mess things up or at least complicate a contractors job. 

To further Marshall's comment:  there is a difference between developing, witnessing, testing to, and/or reviewing for compliance to the job at hand. 

Welding procedures are developed BEFORE the procedure qualification.  Then they are witnessed as the welder attempts to qualify both the procedure and himself.  The testing confirms rather all worked well or not and if all passed then you develop your WPS's from the Procedure Qualification Record (PQR). 

Anyone can develop that procedure, anyone can write the WPS from the PQR of that procedure, But only an SCWI is expected to be able to accomplish all that.

The items you are expected to be able to accomplish are listed in the B5.1 Specification.  It doesn't limit the top end of how much you can do.  It lists the Minimum that you should be able to do. 

Hope I made things clearer and was helpful.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 10-04-2012 11:11
Thanks Brent.  Very clear and VERY helpful. 

Rick
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / B5.1