Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How long do you store your bend specimens?
- - By pipes (**) Date 10-08-2012 17:53
Here's a question; I have buckets and buckets of bend specimens in my lab from the last three years. I never knew the "rules" on keeping these so I have been storing them for at least 4 years as that is as long as the State of WI registrations are good before certifications expire. I never knew if this was necessary so I just kept them. I didn't realize I would be doing so many and now I have tons of them in my office and up on my mezzanine! HA! Anyway, I don't mind holding onto them but do I have to? What do you guys do? Thanks!

I also realize that State registration is different so hopefully there are some WI weld test conductors that can help with this. Thanks again!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-08-2012 18:24
I'm not in WI, but I kept all of my bend test coupon samples too up to a point...got to be too much and now I toss them.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 10-08-2012 19:30
I examine them, deem them acceptable or unacceptable, then scrap them.

QCRobert
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-08-2012 19:48
Ditto, With what qcrobert said.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-08-2012 20:36
I return most of them to the welder or client. I will keep them for about 30 days if they do not want them. If they are interesting I keep them as part of my "You gotta see this" collection.  No, you don't want your samples to become part of my collection.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-08-2012 20:44
Most of mine get tossed.  If they are really interesting, either for good or bad, I keep them as examples.  Some welders have asked if they can have them- please do, I don't want them taking up space.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Oneatatime (**) Date 10-11-2012 03:23
I despise clutter, immediately into the scrap bin. They aren't that pretty to me.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 10-08-2012 21:33
I keep them for 6 months - that is required by our accrediting agency - the Washington Association of Building Officials (WABO).  They do site inspections and the coupons are to be viewable by them for that period.

For non-WABO tests I toss them immediately unless they can serve as a good example of what not to do.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 10-09-2012 00:09
Ditto
Parent - - By pipes (**) Date 10-12-2012 03:43
I've been asking this question to a bunch of different people with all kinds of answers so I thought, "Why don't I just ask the State of WI for clarification?" So, I emailed the State with this question and here is the response I got:

"SPS 305.35(5) c  indicates FIVE "5" years existing words do not specifically indicate bend test specimens but I feel they may be important."

Just great. Clear as mud. I may have to add a room onto my shop for specimens.....*sigh*
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-12-2012 10:59
pipes

Why save them longer than the paper document is good for?

Just saying

I have the tester deposit their specimens in the scrap bin after I am through with the examination.

PQR Testing Evidence I keep for 5 years as that is the length of time the PQR is valid per AWS D1.5 Bridge code.

Have a Great day

Marshall
Parent - By pipes (**) Date 10-12-2012 11:54
That's exactly what I thought waccobird. And then to say "I feel they may be important?" What the.....I'm glad I have such good guidance from the state.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-12-2012 14:28
Go back to that clown Jeremiah,

Ask very specifically..

"What  is the published length of time a bend test specimen SHALL be kept in order for the test conductor to remain in compliance?"
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-12-2012 14:36 Edited 10-12-2012 14:40
"SPS 305.35(5) c  indicates FIVE "5" years existing words do not specifically indicate bend test specimens but I feel they may be important."

Hmmm.. Sounds like that verse should make it to the cat herding procedure, or at the very least, a revision of the goat roping procedure.

5.0 Records
5.2  All bend test shall be kept for five years unless any of the following conditions are met.

5.2.1 The bosses son's bends cracked in half. Discard immediately.
5.2.2 It is the opinion of the TPI that all bends shall be kept until the end of time. If such opinion is expressed, discard immediately.
5.2.3 If the bend test can be used by Al Moore as an example of what not to do, discard immediately.
5.2.4 If your snot has more consistency than the bend test, discard immediately.
5.2.5 If welder was tested post project and the bends resemble the surface of the moon, discard immediately.
5.2.6 When bending, the piece snaps and plants a chunk of it in the A.I.'s forehead, immediately melt down the evidence via oxyacetylene torch before the cops get there.
5.2.7 If for any reason, justification, flight of fancy, the bend may find itself the focus of litigation, stamp it with your competitors format for welder identification, mail it to the janitor of your nearest competitors shop with a 100 dollar gift card and a note that it is a reward for a good job. Send letter to lawyers that it was a competitors welder that made the weld.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-12-2012 14:51
LOL...^^^^^

>"SPS 305.35(5) c  indicates FIVE "5" years existing words do not specifically indicate bend test specimens but I feel they may be important."

Be careful when someone is feeling around for something. :wink:

I expect that they don't understand the actual requirements, so they are guessing that something may be important.
Parent - - By pipes (**) Date 10-12-2012 14:56
HAHAHA! thanks CWI555, I needed a good laugh! Lawrence, good call I'll do that.
Parent - By pipes (**) Date 12-12-2012 16:41
So, it's been two months since this topic was posted. I emailed the State of WI and worded my question exactly as you suggested Lawerence. One month later, no reply. I emailed again. 6 weeks later, I left a voicemail.  Two months later, still no reply.

I'm done storing specimens. Until the state can show me that I need to keep them they will now be stored in the dumpster until ALTAR Metal Recycling permanently "files" them.

I guess I just expected more from the State. Maybe I take my job too seriously, but I put a lot of stock into doing these tests with integrity and honesty. It just seems like with the current system it could be really easy for an unethical inspector to do...well, anything he wanted. I have always heard about guy "buying" certification but I never believed it could happen until I became a CWI and realized how easy it could be to sell paperwork. I guess I have to believe the majority of us do this for the love of welding......
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How long do you store your bend specimens?