Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / about clause 3, d1.1
- - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 10-09-2012 03:16
Actually I´m working with structural projects, so I am studying and reading the AWS d1.1 for it, but surge some questions in me; in the clause 3, I understand that shows prequalified joints, so this imply that if I use it I´ve got a prequalified welding procedure? or with a prequalified joint, prequalified match material, etc., I prepare a WPS but I have to qualify this WPS by de tests like despicted in the clause 4?.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 10-09-2012 03:30
My advice would be to start at the beginning of clause 3. read it and understand it.
Parent - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 10-09-2012 19:54
thanks for the lesson
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-09-2012 10:17
Pre-qualified means that if your joint, materials, processes, etc(conditions)...all meet the criteria spelled out in Clause 3 that you can write a WPS without testing (pre-qualify)it via a PQR.

If your conditions do not meet the criteria, then you have go to Clause 4 and follow the instructions to test (qualify)your set of conditions and if all passes, then you can write a WPS, but you must stay within the list of variables in Clause 4 for that WPS to be valid.

Reading the clauses as stated earlier is a good idea to become familiar with them.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 10-09-2012 10:47
and don't forget the commentary section in the back, that will help clarify things also.
Parent - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 10-09-2012 19:58
Thank you !!
Parent - By Leonardo Martínez (*) Date 10-09-2012 20:00
Thanks for clear it!!!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / about clause 3, d1.1