Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Ergonomic FCAW guns
- - By thcqci (***) Date 10-12-2012 12:00
As is well documented, we have an aging workforce. We have a couple of welders here that are showing significant problems with holding their FCAW guns all day.  Recent 12 hour days have been taking a toll on wrists and fingers.  One welder can barely button his shirts.  Been welding 37 years, the last 11 with us.  He is concerned his welding career is coming to a close, but he is not quite ready to retire. 

We are a structural steel shop with many short welds.  Mechanization probably not practical.  I am looking for suggestions of ergonomically friendly mig guns.  Using standard Tweeco, 400 amp guns now.  We have blue machines with red feeders.  I am told there are guns that will click on and off as opposed to holding a trigger on.  Any experience with these or other similar guns.  Looking for feedback about ease of use, costs and how well they last in real world care (or lack thereof) on a shop floor. 

The sore welders thank you for your suggestions.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 10-12-2012 13:18 Edited 10-12-2012 14:23
thcqci

edit I got in a hurry and miss read,
I was referring to the switch on the feeder that lets one click the trigger and it welds till you click it again

I used the switch and never looked back when they became available.

I know it lengthened my welding time and comfort.

I had no trouble getting use to the need to double tap a tack. LoL

But after 43 years of welding I feel it (the hold switch) enabled me a few more years.

When I started most shops used SMAW and I feel the grasping of the electrode holder whither gun or Stinger has not been looked at enough for Ergonomics.

Just my ΒΆΒΆ's

Good Luck

Marshall
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-12-2012 13:27
Hello thcqci, there are a number of "feeders" that have the 2T/4T option. In laymens terms, that means that they can be set-up to operate either by holding the trigger to provide feeding or to feed continuously if the trigger is pulled once and until it is pulled again causing it to stop. I have not heard of guns that have a manual lock/unlock feature. I know what you are speaking of though, used to work in a few high-production shops and had to concentrate very hard not to depress the triggers overly hard to keep from getting fatigue/cramping of the old fingers and hands. Sorry that I can't think of any options for guns that allow for the "trigger lock feature". Best of luck on your hunt, I'm sure that there are others on here who can come up with other options. I'll look forward to learning along with you. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-12-2012 13:44
Doug,
We still use the heavy, awkward thumb trigger with a push to lock on feature, fairly rigid Bernard 600 amp guns/whips...I have a few Tweeco style, Lincoln magnum 400amp guns/whips on the smaller machines. Our stuff gets treated pretty poorly by the shop employees, they've taken a real beating and keep on going. ie. Tugging the feeder across the floor and over obstacles like a studdorn dog on a leash, and slinging the gun down where ever they finish. When you get into the 600 amp guns, you are limited in what you have to choose from....and they are heavy(lots of beef) and not very flexible. I tend to lay the whip up over my shoulder or lay several feet of it out on the beam where I'm welding on, but the weight of it all wears on you.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-13-2012 03:04
The standard Tweeco may be the least ergonomic MIG gun of all, but it is pretty tough and completely rebuildable.

It will be interesting to see what others suggest.

The click on-click off feature could be added to any feeder, it is a matter of changing/adding solenoids, and should be able to be done by any decent industrial electrician [provided You can find one].
Parent - - By A_DAB_will_do (*) Date 10-19-2012 18:27
Miller suitcase feeders have a trigger lock function built in.  Squeeze the gun trigger for about 2-3 seconds and the trigger lock will activate.  Click the trigger again and the wire feed shuts off.  This feature is switched so you can tack weld or weld in short runs normally.  So far as I know it works with any manufacturer's mig guns.

My other recommendation would be to switch to lower rated guns.  They're lighter and more flexible.  I like bernard guns with the "OXO" style pistol grip handle.  I weld with a 150amp  or 200 amp gun as much as I can.  If I'm running short welds of 200-250 amps I don't worry about the smaller gun.  Only if I think things are getting hot, or wire feed issues start appearing, do I go looking for a heavier gun.  Remember that usually those amp ratings are at a 60% duty cycle.  Look at what your welders are actually doing for arc on time and size the guns you use accordingly. 200amps on a 30% duty cycle should be no problem for a quality 150 amp gun.

This will create downtime problems if your welders are beating up on the equipment.  Maybe you can assign lighter gear to the guys who need it and will take care of it?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-20-2012 04:21 Edited 10-20-2012 04:30
I prefer the Lincoln Magnum guns. Very light weight and flexible. But for the price, and ergonomics, Bernard has done a fine job of pirating/capitalizing their design. Of course the Tweecos are rugged and can take a beating like George Foreman. I would consider the solenoid install as was previously mentioned. The manual locking switch seems to cause too many problems for short runs.
Guns (comfort/feel) tend to be very personal like a welding hood.
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 10-22-2012 16:08
Thanks all for your responses.  Been on vacation, back today, but off to MN.  I will review and see where this leads.  Thanks again.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 10-23-2012 16:07
Hello;
I have a problem with this. We used to open the gun up and bend the "points" so it took very little pressure to hold the trigger down. We also used to use large rubber bands wrapped around the trigger to get the same effect. This was not ideal as a good piece of buckshot or two would end its use. I have used the feeders with the auto feed where you tap to start/stop. I liked them. If your hand started hurting, you could re-position without stopping. It took a little time to get used to them, but enjoyed using them after. I wish you luck in finding what you are looking for and thanks for looking out for the old timers.

Have a good one;
Matt
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Ergonomic FCAW guns