Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 fig 4.20 Start & Stop of weld
- - By stuzhotwire (*) Date 10-12-2012 18:19
How do you read this?  Literally one start and stop?  If not what is the point?  thx
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 10-12-2012 18:51
Well obvoiusly you have to start the weld somewhere, and then stop it once go weld all around the entire joint.  Vs starting and stopping and rotating the piece with multiple start/stops.  Don't forget the commentary in the back of the book.
- By stuzhotwire (*) Date 10-15-2012 16:23
thanks but the commentary does not address this. 
I'm being told the "stop and stop" note is directing us to not stop or start in the microectc are to be cut.  Welding supervisor says that he would not do that test under that condition when he could simply do the same one as a 2F Rotated.  His argument is, under many testing scenrios you can't avoid multiple stops.  Such as a larger diameter pipe, SMAW welding when your stick runs out, etc.]
So is it a literal interpetation, to weld a fixed unit without stopping is my concern?  Under the literal interpretation, this forces them to do a 2FR on a positioner which is much easier but also not a true test of production welding as would multiple stops on a standard fixed 2F on pipe.

That brings me to the next question.  If a test is done using a positioner, is this mandatory on the production welding?  I can't find any restrictions on a 2F Rotated vs a 2F.  Qualifications are the same.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 fig 4.20 Start & Stop of weld