Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / good welding book
- - By mikejf Date 01-25-2003 20:16
Hello, I am new to welding and I was just wondering if anybody knew of a thorough book on welding? Basically I am looking for one that has all types of welding: mig, tig, oxy-ac, arc, etc. and more importantly the different types of metals to work with: aluminum, stainless, mild steel, etc. as well as brazing. I would appreciate it if someone can help me out. Thanks.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-25-2003 22:33
I like "Modern Welding Technology" by Howard Cary as far as a book that covers the processes in a manner that can be useful for the beginner to the advanced welder. There is a great deal of information in this book. For more information on the book you can go to http://www.welding.org/cart/training/gwbooks.htm to see the other books Hobart publishes.

Most high school welding books cover most processes pretty well.

You should be able to find the book by Mr Cary on the internet at used book stores. I have found it priced from 10.95 and up for the 3rd edition.The current edition is 5.

G Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - By cccasey (**) Date 01-26-2003 03:34
"Principles of Welding" by Larry Jeffus is also an excellent book. I use it as a resourse regularly.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-27-2003 15:32
Gerald,
How can I tell which edition I have? Mine merely has a copyright date of 1979 by Printice-Hall.

mikejf,
I also use the "Welding Inspection Technology" book put out by AWS, has some useful info I haven't found elsewhere. And then there's the "Welding Handbook Series" with several volumes that cover alot of topics.

Anyone know if Lincoln still makes the "slide rule" type calculator for Preheat and Interpass Temp? Mine is a 1953 Copyright and is in bad shape now.
John Wright
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-27-2003 16:58
1979 Is the first edition based on what I see at some of the book distributor lists on the internet.

Have a good day

G Austin
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-27-2003 19:17
Thanks,
John Wright
Parent - By don (**) Date 01-27-2003 15:08
We have 7 different books we use as references in our classes. In our opinion The above mentioned welding book by Larry Jeffus is heads and shoulders above the rest. He's a welder and it is much more comprehensive.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / good welding book