Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.1- Importance of Run-on & Run-off Tabs in FCAW & SAW
- By Nalla (***) Date 10-20-2012 15:43
Dear Experts
Appreciate for sharing your knowledge & experience on Run-on & Run Tabs-
Joint Types - Single Bevel / Single V / Double V butt joints
Thanks
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-22-2012 17:12
Their use is very important to ensure the weld does not suffer incomplete fusion type discontinuites at the ends of the welded joint.

I find that many welds made without tabs experience incomplete fusion at the begining and end of the weld. When the welder fails to use tabs I typically grind the ends of the joints smooth with a grinder. The IF is often visable to the naked eye, confirmation is made by doing a penetrant test. IF is removed by grinding and often extends 1/2 inch into the actual welded joint.

Those very same fusion type defects can be eliminated with tabs. The use of tabs does not eliminate the defects, they simply allow the arc to stabilize before getting the actual joint and confines the IF type defects to those regions that will be cut (or can be easily removed) once the joint is completed. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 10-22-2012 20:58
Dear Al
For the same resons i've been driving workshop guys to use it. But so far no much success.
Thanks
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-22-2012 21:05
Interesting.  Usually once they realize they have fewer repairs to do it is a preferred method.  Especially for those with even a hint of craftsmanship pride. 

But more frequently of late it is standard practice for most shops I go into.  Not even a question, company policy is to use them.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 10-22-2012 23:07 Edited 10-23-2012 13:13
For the same resons i've been driving workshop guys to use it. But so far no much success.

They would if they were fabricating pressure vessels or any weldment that required RT!

The use of run-off tabs (at beginning & end) are a required practice at our shop.

QCRobert
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 10-23-2012 02:39
for general shop work i agree they are a good thing.  but for learning purposes its nice to teach the students they exist but they shouldn't depend on them.      Having to weld more than one full pen through a rat hole, its good to know you can stop an arc in the middle of a weld and restart it with no discontinuity's.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-23-2012 03:18
That being said, the classroom is the ideal place to teach proper workmanship practices.

Al
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 10-23-2012 05:44
i think they both have their place in the classroom.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-23-2012 16:46
I'll be happy to teach them in the field. It will cost the contractor dearly, but hey, that's how they learn what the real world is all about.

Al
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 10-24-2012 00:59
More or less teaching a contractor to not put green hands behind critical full pen welds done through a rat hole is a likely scenario also.      I been thinking of stepping up my hiring qualifications to 1" full pen with restricted access using NR-232 to weed out the also ran's from the true welders.

Im all for lessons learned,  but education costs money.   All truths be told i definately dont want it to be my money.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 10-24-2012 03:47
I wish you luck with that type of testing Dualie.  I've looked at about 100 (give or take) welders in the last year, union and non-union, and out of that bunch, maybe 5 or 6 were worth their pay.  Those welders were doing what your proposing as a test.  Professional welders are few and far in between.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 10-24-2012 06:16 Edited 10-24-2012 06:19
i get about 10 guys a week with "papers"  i think i might set a booth out in the parking lot with an old XMT and near crapped out LN-25 with a 8' gun on it and see if i can find one passer just to amuse myself.

I would make them bevel and prep their own coupons but some of them i dont know if i could trust with fire.

A nice 4G restricted access and a 3G coupon would weed out the pudknockers for sure.    Heck i wounder if i could get away with putting my both on a set of angel wings hanging off the roof. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

problem is the guys that CAN do that day in, day out are worth every bit of $35hr but the current market wont support that and none of these jobs are of a long enough duration to keep them on the doll long enough to make it worth their while.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 10-24-2012 15:23
I really like that Angel Wings idea, going to give that some real thought.  :twisted:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-24-2012 18:57
While both have their place in the classroom it would still be prudent to emphasize the importance and function of runoff tabs.  Nothing wrong with teaching them how to be accomplished enough at welding to be one of the rare welders to fool old Al so that they put in a quality weld without runoff tabs.  It can be, and has been, done many times.  But, it is so much faster and easier to complete the work with runoff tabs.  And mandatory in some cases.

Someone else commented about the welding with the weld access hole and it appeared they were saying you would weld from one end to the center, then restart in the center and run on out to the other side.  That is not the established procedure for the application.  You should start at the edge on the runoff tab, run reasonably through the center, stop, restart from the other runoff tab and come back to the end of the other weld.  Then you alternate which one goes through the weld access hole so you don't get all the stops in the same place.

I have had more than one welder try to weld all the way out from one side, stopping exactly in the center under the web and then try to weld out the other side having no way to really clean that center area for the welds to come together properly.  That's why it is a continuous inspection and inspectors need to be there instead of sitting in the office playing cards (Worked with an inspector who would spend most of his day playing solitare on the computer and only went out on the floor when they came to get him to sign off on members completed). 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 10-25-2012 03:11
welding from the outside leg in is very difficult when trying to keep ahead of the slag when running NR-232 if not darn near cat herding levels of impossible.
Parent - - By S. WINAI (**) Date 10-25-2012 09:51 Edited 10-25-2012 12:39
Hi Nalla,
(For the same resons i've been driving workshop guys to use it. But so far no much success.)
I assume that workshop guys use weld tabs. But may not correct type, size  same as joint configuration. Best on my work experience. I saw some fitter just  take scrap plate tack at the end of joint. Some thing like a funny shape. But no one point it out. Even CWI when perform fit up inspection. They don’t say anything. After NDT. So far no repair issue at the weld end of the joint most I see.

5.31 Weld Tabs
5.31.1 Use of weld Tabs. Welds shall be terminated at the end of a joint in a manner that will ensure sound welds. Whenever necessary, this shall be done by use of weld tabs aligned in such a manner to provide an extension of the joint preparation.

The code dose not define the lengths of  weld tabs. But they must sufficiently  long to ensure that the weld is  full size for the length of the joint. As a rule of thumb, weld tabs should be at least as long as the thickness of the groove weld. It is advisable that the backing( when used) extend beyond the width of the joint by at least the length of the weld tabs.

Thanks

Winai
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 10-25-2012 13:55 Edited 10-26-2012 00:46
Hi. Winai
Thanks for chip in

For any product, 1st customer is the very fabricator. So he must acknowledge and practice good and pragmatice workmanship to ensure sound weld on every job.

So. you dont have to wait some inspector to point the role and importance of Run-on/Run-off Tabs with correct size/bevel to ensure complete weld start to end.

That's why it is critical for welding supervisor to lead and guide the welder/welding operator through tool box meeting and monitoring.

Moreover , we cant expect codes to cover/ dictate everything. isn't.

Appreciate if forum members continue to share your expertise on  weld sequence in welding T-Joints, Cross-Joints, radius joint using FCAW and/or SAW process to ensure proper start/stop/termination ( Loose Panels with Transverse and Longitudinal Butt seams - 1st Side A >> Flip over to Side B and to repeat the sequence ).

Thanks to all your great responses.
Parent - - By S. WINAI (**) Date 10-26-2012 07:39
Hi Nalla,
Just want to share  some experience.
(That's why it is critical for welding supervisor to lead and guide the welder/welding operator through tool box meeting and monitoring.)
In general steels fabricator have divide in 2 group( fitter& welder)both have separate Supervisor in-charge. Some critical joint structure need to apply for fit up inspection before welding.  some joint! Inspector have reject  due to poor fit up. After this case happen. Management call all welders ,welding supervisor to re briefing about poor fitting. So u think management do correct way? Because, Actually  the joint have done and fit by fitter. Do u think this can solve problem?

Back to Run-on/Run-off Tabs  u have mention. For me it is very important to use it. But what welder can do if the joint and tab plate fit by fitter and welder only can come over after completed fit up inspection. And again and again. When the weld tabs become big issue. Management will call all welders, welding supervisor to re briefing again. Oh god!

(For the same resons i've been driving workshop guys to use it. But so far no much success.) in this case.
My opinion that. U should call all fitter, fitting supervisor to briefing and make them understand what is weld tabs, why important. Why must use tabs plate and where to fit. how to fit accordingly types, size joint configuration. So this may help u to make successful.  

Thanks,

Winai
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 10-26-2012 11:06
s. Winia and Nalla
Keep in mind one thing.  If the code doesn't require something to be used..then don't necessarily make it a requirement just becasue YOU think it's a good idea.
Even if the use of run off tabs IS a good idea (and I agree it is) not everyone will need to use them.

I say this just as a warning becasue I have had a few inspectors come in my shop and give direction and guidance on how something should be done.  Depending on the experience of the individual and more importantly the personality on the guy we may or may not listen to him.  The worst thing that can happen is an outside inspector that Iv'e never heard of or worked with come in for one project, make all these requirements becasue that's how HE is used to seeing it done, and he expects a company and shop that has been operating for 20 yrs to change up their program to make him happy.
That never works at my place and ends up in an argument.  If he is open to discussion and ideas we can work it out.  But some guys come in bull headed and stubborn and try to make things that are NOT required, a requirement, and then it get's ugly.

As Inspectors it is not our place to give adice or instruction in some cases.  Of course there are times and facilities that are open to this.  It depends on the company and the project, and the schedule. 
Good Luck
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-30-2012 18:39 Edited 10-30-2012 18:41
Your statement is correct; the third party has no authority to direct the fabricator, i.e., dictate the ways or means.

I rarely offer advice even when the fabricator asks for my opinion. The fabricator is responsible for getting the work done in a timely manner and in accordance with the code. As one of my clients once told me, "You work for me. I am paying you, not the fabricator. If the fabricator needs help, let him hire his own welding consultant."

That being said, when I see the fabricator is not using tabs at the end of the welded joints, I typically ask that one or two joint that I have selected be ground flush with the edges of the member to reveal the weld cross section. It is not unusual to see incomplete fusion, slag, etc. at the ends of the joints where the tabs were not used. I then leave it up to the fabricator to determine how the affected joints will be repaired. After a few time consuming repairs, tabs are used without me having to direct them to do so.

I rarely intercede even when the fabricator is sawing the plank he is sitting on. To interfere only makes me part of the problem and increases my liability. My third party responsibilities are dictated by the code and by the "Statement of Special Inspections". I answer to the Owner and the Engineer, not the fabricator or the general contractor.

I have a brother-in-law from Texas. He says, "Some people are so stupid they shouldn't be allowed to reproduce."

I extend his philosophy to businesses, "Some businesses are so stupid they shouldn't be in business." About then Darwin takes over and usually puts the poor business out of its misery.

As implied by the post, most fabricators do not appreciate third party inspector’s attempts to "help". Rather, the TPI is labeled as hard-nosed, unreasonable, interfering with work, etc. My advice to TPIs everywhere, save your breath, save your sanity and let the fabricator move forward. Report all nonconformance’s to the Owner and the Engineer in a timely manner and let them sort out the problem. It will be more costly in terms of time wasted and money spent, but that is what most fabricators prefer. The fabricator is copied with the reports, so there is ample time for them to take the necessary corrective action without the TPI making demands, providing helpful insight, directing work, or thumping his chest. 

The fall out is that the fabricator will say the TPI is trying to cast the fabricator as inept, but that is a small price to pay if the TPI keeps his sanity. The TPI has a job to do, i.e., he is the eyes for the Engineer on the shop floor or in the field. It is the Engineer's responsibility to accept the noncompliant work "as is" or to insist on corrective actions is taken by the fabricator. It is the fabricator's responsibility to develop corrective action that satisfies the Engineer. The TPI's responsibility is to verify the corrective action was accomplished in a manner consistent with the approved plan.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.1- Importance of Run-on & Run-off Tabs in FCAW & SAW