Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Passing Thoughts
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-22-2012 16:29 Edited 10-22-2012 18:58
Once again I find myself in a position of reflecting on my personal values in/on/during life.

Having just had a great summer set of vacations to HI, Lake Tahoe, and OR for our 35th anniversary in August, we came face to face with the opposite of such bliss, joy, relaxation, etc. 

DEATH!!  First, on October 2nd my wife's father passed away.  As he had chosen to not be part of the family for the past ten years we didn't know much about where he was, what he was doing, or any such information.  But he was still her father and thankfully a son who had been able to stay in touch informed us of his passing.  Now, he was 82+ and had been battling cancer for about 1 year.  So, not a major passing apart from the normal emotional feelings that come with such news.

Then, 1 week later her mom suffered a stroke that placed her into a coma for a couple of days.  It was actually interesting to see the amount of conversation that took place during a coma after a stroke.  Limited though it was, there was recognition and definite correct response to questions.  When she came out of it she had two fair days but the body had definitely begun shutdown.  Last Monday morning she passed away.

Her life, she was 1 week short of her 80th birthday.  She has had MS for about 30 years.  She had a heart attack and a stroke last year and has suffered several mini strokes since then.  She also has been battling the cancer issue for about 5 years and had one side of her arterial system with about a 95% blockage that the doctors said she was better off living with as it was more likely to kill her during surgery to repair.  The other side had been forced to be taken care of at the heart attack a year ago.  4 stints and about 10 balloons to get it done. 

So, to my point,  we are on one hand relieved that neither of them are in pain any longer.  They led full lives and were major contributors to our lives and future generations.  They raised 5 children (four still living), 15 grandchildren, about as many great-grandchildren thus far, and 2 great-great-grandchildren.  Quite a legacy.  Preachers, policeofficers, military personnel (past and present), truck drivers, gov't employees, welders, and more.  All contributors to society.

The essence of having such a legacy has several contributing factors, some of which I have shared before but bear repeating:
1) You can NEVER spend too much time with family, especially your own kids and grandkids;
2) Family Time Is NEVER Wasted Time;
3) It's not about you/me, others are a priority (Paul said it best in the Book of Acts- Lord, what wilt thou have ME to do?);
4) No amount of work/money can ever take the place of, replace, or buy family;
5) Wise stewardship of talents, time and money are excellent examples to future generations so they don't grow up to ALWAYS be dependants (on either you or the gov't);
6) Good examples teach right living, establish socially acceptable morals, and create respect amoungst mankind.

We rejoice in the fullness of life that they experienced and in the gentleness of their passing.  We rejoice in the opportunity to spend time with family that had not been around for a while.  We rejoice in the knowledge that they are pain free. 

Life does indeed go on, though it must come to an end for us all.  I hope I can leave behind such a legacy when my numbered day arrives. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 10-22-2012 18:11
Well said.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 10-23-2012 15:56
I second that.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 10-27-2012 05:52
Amen. Sorry to hear of your losses.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Passing Thoughts