Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Estimated time for NDT
- - By zzzmbrst (*) Date 10-23-2012 12:44
Hello All
I was wondering how long it takes to perform UT on 5/16" material and RT on other 5/16 material? I know there are many variables that can effect this but does anyone have a genreal idea how long if all variables are favorable?

Thanks
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-23-2012 12:48
How long is the joint that is to be examined?
Parent - - By zzzmbrst (*) Date 10-23-2012 13:09
The joint to be examined will be 40' in length and easily accessable examined by UT. Another will be two 10" spots examined with RT.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-23-2012 13:32
40 feet of UT'ing is going to take several hours.....this is assuming that there are no indications to evaluate. Once indications start showing up, the whole process screaches to a hault. For the RT to be done, a safe area has to be roped off until the RT is completed...keep this in mind when scheduling.
Parent - - By zzzmbrst (*) Date 10-23-2012 14:22
Thank you very much for your replies.

Do you think it would be appropriate to assume it would take a minimum of 3 hours to UT 40' considering no indications?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-23-2012 15:45
At least 3 hours and probably a little more. To safely evaluate that 40' of joint from all sides, it will take some time. If this is a butt joint, keep in mind that you need to UT from both sides of the joint on each face. I trust that the joint will be ground flush so the UT tech can properly get their sound into the first leg. 5/16" thick requires that the transducer be almost directly over the joint to be in the first leg when using an AWS D1.1 compliant transducer.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 10-23-2012 18:25
The usual suspects that show up at our facility would take easily 8 hrs if not longer to UT 40'.

The RT don't forget you need acces to both sides of the joint, and again there can be noone around.  Normally it's done after hrs if it's in the fab shop.  This includes cleaning crews and everyone.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Estimated time for NDT