Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / my rant
- - By mike wiebe 3 (*) Date 10-26-2012 03:38
Okay so everyone has a view on politics.  This is my story.   My daughter lives on her ssi, due to a car accident when she was only 18.  She was in a coma for 8 weeks, drs. told us if  (big if) she came out there would be brain damage.  Since then she is completely different than the daughter we raised.  Although I am grateful for the government help she receives, (because I can't do it.)  It has also hindered her in the fact that she has learned that if she tries to improve herself she loses her ssi.  So even though I am grateful for the help she receives I wish they would not just cut her off as she tried to get a job.  This is republicans and democrats who have created this monster.  It used to be when I was young the community and churches took care of people in this condition but now we let the government do it and complain about the freeloader, although I know there are many of them who do.  Just don't forget those who need the help in your community, there are real needs.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-26-2012 07:24
I was under the impression that a person was allowed to legally earn some [not much] money without it affecting SSI.

There are able people on SSI who could earn more if they worked a real job, but will not as they don't want to give up a freebie that they do nothing for
[Yes I am thinking of a few people in particular that I know]. This is a choice THEY made, and because of it they live in perpetual poverty.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-27-2012 00:16 Edited 10-27-2012 00:32
Mike

I have absolutely no problem with my tax dollars going to help a disabled person be they a child, adult or senior.  I have a lot of issues with a broken system that as you said puts you and your daughter in a catch 22.  I also have issues with a broken system that has tons of perfectly able bodied people on it in much better health then I getting checks, using up resources for people who REALLY NEED THE HELP.  I have an ex wife drawing SSI and every other program you can think of, she is nothing more then a social parasite/drug addict.  I know other kin folk drawing disability checks that could cut way more firewood then I could in a day.

You bet there are real people in my community in need of help.  There are vets who have to have charitable assistance because the goverment is NOT taking care of them as promised.    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I strongly dislike those people that ride and abuse the system and give it a black eye and mess it up for the people the programs were created for in the first darn place.  Every time the Feds get the next big idea they overcomplicate it, usually over time, and over time the abuse and breakdown of the original idea become the status quo.  We as citizens do not like it but in general we typically accept it and go on...then you have people like your daughter and disabled vets, caught in the middle, who are left with a derelict lumbering monster of a system that is inadequate (sorry) and will unlikely ever meet your true needs.

Best Wishes to you and your girl my friend.
Parent - By mike wiebe 3 (*) Date 10-30-2012 03:53
This is pretty much what I am trying to say.  She definetely needs the help, BUT I wish they would have her work for the help instead of just giving it to her.  My wife has worked with the handicapped for over ten years and so we know a little about the system.  MY daughter just falls between the score on iq for further help, so they just hand it to her, and she takes advantage of it while misssing out on the chance of improving her self
- - By Dualie (***) Date 10-27-2012 03:20
My own personal opinion is if someone is completely and totally unable to sustain their own existence due to debilitating condition a civilized society does have a duty to take care of the weak.

On the other side there are so many menial tasks and jobs in the US government and state system that MANY if not 90% + of people drawing SSI could do theres absolutely no reason they shouldn't be doing SOMETHING.    The system was a grand and great idea when first implemented but like everything else the government gets its hands on it got bloated and completely bureaucratic.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 10-27-2012 17:17
Dualie, My first vote would be making SSI reciepients that are able body/ pickem' up in a bus and shippem' to the local toll booths on the interstates to collect tolls. (ever notice when a company purchases a toll road to run, they automate it !!!!!) Hate tolls so you know what I think of toll takers........:razz::razz::razz::razz:
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / my rant