Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GTAW Travel Speed with and without filler metal
- - By eekpod (****) Date 10-29-2012 11:27
I was given a question by our estimating department that I would like to ask all your help and input, as I don't know where to find the answer myself.

This is for estimating the cost to propose a stainless steel structural job. D 1.6

How much slower is the travel speed when using filler metal vs no filler metal?

We had material go from thin gauge fuse only to a little thicker with a slight chamfer and now using filler metal.

Open to suggestions.
Thanks
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 10-29-2012 12:15
Do you have any existing weld procedures that can be used for reference?  Or can you reference a pre-qualified weld procedure?  It depends very much on what parameters are selected.  I mean, if the heat input can be increased then the travel speed can also be increased.  But for an estimate, I would just reference a book of parameter settings such as the Lincoln Prodedure Handbook or one of the Miller books.  And then too it is always wise to multiply by 1.5x or 2x when making estimates.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 10-29-2012 15:50
I'll try to find those referance books you mentioned.
I'm sure I have them around here somewhere.
They need to see it in writing, more than just coming up with a number.  I was hoping to find an actual referance formula written somewhere.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-30-2012 02:19
Uhhh dont ask me  I seriously missed just the amount of filler material needed on my last job...I have a good deal on some 308 filler. :grin:
- - By Dualie (***) Date 10-30-2012 03:36
if all else fails set up and run some.   one man one day, and the price of some material is well worth the cost of knowing your not going to eat your lunch with a massively missed bid.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 10-30-2012 23:30
Try it. Time it. I can usually find answers in half the time it takes engineers to theorize solutions. I'd like to be smarter, but I find my legwork wins out most times.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 10-31-2012 10:23
I wish I could but unfortuntaly, we don't have the equipment anymore...long. long story I can't get into here.
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 10-31-2012 11:55
With no established procedure, then your best bet is to refer to an established procedure.  Maybe if you Google some of the welding suppliers like Miller you can find a reference source.  None of the published stuff is cast in concrete either.  It might say 5-7 ipm for travel speed for example or offer a 20% band on amperage.  The big variable is always weldor efficiency.  It may be as low as 40% or as high as 60+%.  The hood won't be down 100% of the time.  If you have an established procedure in a text it will give you something to show your customer.  But if the joint design is a square butt that is what you will need to use and you may have trouble finding a procedure with filler to use as a comparison.  I really don't understand why you have an option.  Is the filler only for a cap on an autogenous weld to fill a concave condition?  If it is not a square butt then filler would be the only option.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GTAW Travel Speed with and without filler metal