Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Interested in Welding.
- - By joey201 Date 10-30-2012 01:40
Hello all,

Well I'm from Puerto Rico and new to the forums. I'm 25 year of age and wanted to get some feedback on pipe welding as a career. I recently finished college, for a Bachelor of Science, and after job hunting for awhile I was looking into other career options and a friend of mine suggested a school in pipe welding nearby called Hispanic American Welding. He recently finished the course over 8 months in structural and pipe welding and just left for a six month job with everything paid. I got other friends that often leave for a welding job for three and six months and get the rest of the year off since they tell me they bring well over $40-70K and are often called back for more work.

Right now I have no obligations as I could pay all my studies and I got no children or anything and would be starting in January 2013 in school if I decide to do it, but before I go to the school I have some questions:

1) Is this is a good career to get into now in 2012 at 25 years of age?
2) How much money could you make working year round?
3) Can you get a steady employer?
4) How may I join a union and such?
5) Are my friends exaggerating or is this real?

So many questions left but oh well anything that you think might help in this decision, I'll be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance!
Parent - - By deisel (*) Date 02-12-2013 16:21
The amount of pay you earn as a welder is directly correlated with your skill, but welding will give you very good job security.  Pipe welding takes a lot of skill compared to some other jointd types, and I'm not an expert but I would suggest trying a technical school first so you have a welding background, it would make it much easier to learn pipe welding. I'm enrolled in a technical college myself and age is not an issue, we have people from 18 to 50 or 60 in the program.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 02-12-2013 22:05 Edited 02-12-2013 22:09
I'll add that the amount earned/welder depends on (as already mentioned) the number of welders able to consistently put out the work to the required standard, but also (and just as much) on the number of welders WILLING to do the particular work.
The second varies quite a bit by region/location and those situations can be very lucrative.

The third leg is work that requires a "different" (but not overly hard) skill set or a skill set not commonly available locally, kind of like #2.

Probably the greatest factor is efficiency, ie putting out more work per hour, even in environments calling for lower levels of pure skill/hand.
The old timer who said "time = money" really was correct.

Knowledge of a need in a particular geographic area, coupled with a lack of providers in that area equals a grand opportunity for efficient providers of a service even if it's not particularly difficult welding wise.

Supply and demand will never die.

J

I'll add that conditions are a major factor in who is "willing" to do the work and as a result really narrows the labor pool and increases available rates/wages. 30 below zero, 125 above, very remote or very difficult terrain all mean money for the welders.
Parent - - By benr Date 02-13-2013 22:26
I am 18 years old and am looking for welding program, tech schools in particular. i was looking at Hobart in ohio. Does anyone have any input or direction i can pursue to narrow it down?
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 02-14-2013 14:29 Edited 02-14-2013 14:36
Hobart training materials are used at certain colleges, including the one I went to.  I guess it would depend on how much you're willing to spend and how far you're willing to travel to attend the school. 
Hobart and Lincoln Electric schools are good and both are in Ohio.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Interested in Welding.