Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / International Welding Engineering Diplom
- - By M-Squared (**) Date 01-27-2003 21:21
I would like to find out more about the International Welding Engineering Diploma. I had sent an e-mail to AWS because I had heard that they were authorized to act as the ANB for IIW education and training programs in the USA. They sent me information on becoming a certified welding engineer. Is this the same thing? If I become certified as a welding engineer can I get my International Welding Engineering Diploma?

Any information would help.
Parent - - By cpollock Date 01-28-2003 14:58
It can be confusing since there are three bodies which now accredit welding engineers.

The International certification is through IIW.

The AWS Certified Welding Engineer is through the AWS Certification Department. Information may be found at http://www.aws.org/certification/CWEng/

The Professional Engineer is through the National Society of Professional Engineers.

Individuals who hold a P. E or AWS CWEng may also get the IIW certification through a reciprocity agreement. This option will expire in 2003.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Parent - By M-Squared (**) Date 01-28-2003 18:21
Chris,
Thanks, it does help. You say "AWS CWEng may also get the IIW certification through a reciprocity agreement. This option will expire in 2003." Do you know exactly when in 2003 this will end? This will help me to decide when to take the exam.

If I miss this opportunity, are there any other avenues to take to receive this diploma? (i.e. Distance Learning, Classes at a University, Obtaining a Masters in Welding Engineering from Ohio State). Should I contact the IIW for this information?

Thanks again for your help.

Mark

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / International Welding Engineering Diplom