Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / duration of welder ID number
- - By fit2inspect (**) Date 11-02-2012 17:40
What is the length of duration between new hired welders replacing  terminated welders before you issue the same welder’s ID stamp? I couldn't find anything in D1.1. I'm guessing 5 years?
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 11-02-2012 18:10
fit2inspect

I wouldn't guess.

What your company decides and writes as procedure is what matters.

If the dates are recorded I see no problems.

Just my  ¢¢'s

Marshall

Edit Don't make the life of document and data control any harder than necessary.

:cool:
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 11-02-2012 18:15
agreed.
simple is better.
as long as you document from what dates so and so was using the number, then another so and so used the same number between these different dates, you should be fine.
As a general rule I waited at least 2 yrs minimum, but I was able to do that, not everyone can.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-02-2012 18:13
I recycle my welder's stamps also....no problems here(yet) with continuing to use the same stamps over and over. Keep in mind that typically our employee turnover rate is pretty low, so that may make a difference.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-03-2012 03:49
What's the deal John...  Run out of numbers ?

You guys are so dutch that ya recycle a stamp?

You have a drawer full of used rubber bands too don't you!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-03-2012 10:34
Letters....26 in the alphabet. The system was already set up before I took over. Those little stencils are $35/ea and you have to purchase the entire alphabet.....plus some people are harder on their stencils than others and break them. So after a while I have plenty of some letters and few or none of others.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-03-2012 11:15
Dutch
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-03-2012 11:23
:cool: LOL :cool: OK, if you say so. :lol:
Parent - - By fit2inspect (**) Date 11-03-2012 19:23
Great answer's, thank you all.   And so there isn't any thing written in any code books about length of duration that anyone knows about correct? If so, then logging the dates of termination, and waiting at least 2 years should good enough, before I  give a new hired welder someone's old number. Thanks again. I got a new hire that wanted a single digit number so he wouldn't have to stamp two number each time he makes a weld.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 11-05-2012 11:47
Correct,
There is nothing in the D1.1 about how to identify and how long they are assigned.
It just says they must be identified.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 11-05-2012 11:48
John
Are you using the high tech low stress type of stamps?
The one's with the numbers made out of all the little bumps vs. the regular type?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-05-2012 11:56
I have the round stencils that go in the Atlas "Tomahawk" stencil hammer/chisel head slag chipper combo....the letters are rounded vs sharp so they are the low stress variety. I don't have the ones with the little bumps, not sure Altas makes those.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-05-2012 12:04
I've never seen a specific length of time spelled out anywhere in any of the codes we deal with(ie. AWS D1.1), except like Chris stated, that each weld should be traceable back to the welder who welded it, up to the point of the weld being inspected and accepted by the inspector.

Our Atlas stencils come in Single and Double letters, so one smack of the stencil hammer identifies the weld.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / duration of welder ID number