Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9 year recertifaction
- - By tjinsp (*) Date 11-04-2012 15:03
Just wanted to pass on to everyone, that I have just completed the 80 PDH thru AWS for my 9 year recertification without testing. The week long class was almost identical to the week long seminar for certification. I was very pleased that the instructor was the same instructor that taught the week long seminar 9 years ago for my CWI certification. I know there are some people that frown upon recert without testing, but this option worked out for me. not because my certification was in jepordy if by testing, I could fail the pratical test,  but in my opinion I learned more in this class that I have not been involved in the past 9 years. The instructor was on point guiding the disscusion in the right direction and refreshing my mind on areas I was rusty in. There was a diverse group in class from just about every field. (Bridges, Buildings, Electrode manufacture, ASME, cross country pipeline & pipelay in GOM) This diverse knowlege was the best part. Thanks again to AWS for this option & Ed Bohnart.

Tim
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 11-05-2012 11:45
I'm glad to hear good things about that direction you chose.  I plan to do the same thing when mine comes up in another 3 years.
I agree like you that there are some areas that one becomes rusty in over time, and it's nice to get a refresher on this information, and especially right from the source.
Good luck
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 11-05-2012 22:56
Good to hear... don't think I'd learn anything new by taking a test that I already passed once.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-06-2012 02:53
Good to hear.  Have heard many good reports about the 'Boot Camps'.  Networking opportunities.  New information.  Refreshing of skills not regularly used.  Additional skills to apply.

Sounds like a winning combination.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Oneatatime (**) Date 11-06-2012 05:50
Seriously i think its a fine idea, if we have already passed the test, just because portions of it we no longer use (and normally forget) does not make us any less qualified inspectors. Perhaps not everything pertains to our applications. I plan to take a endorsement here in March, according to the AWS anytime within the 9 years a endorsement covers the 9 year re-certification. I myself was quite happy with the week long course before the test, i had Lynn Sturgill and was nothing but impressed.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9 year recertifaction