Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / How to weld dissimilar materials
- - By vswe Date 11-07-2012 10:00
Dear All,

I am now studying how to weld dissimilar metals and it make me very headache. Could someone of you help me to answer below questions?

1. The metallurgy of weld while welding dissimilar metals?

2. When we weld dissimilar metals, what aspect we have to pay attention to?

3. How to choose a right welding consumable for dissimilar metals weld? What care need to be taken while welding them?

If you don't know but you have some useful guidance, books, news... so please introduce them to me then I will read myself.

Thank you very much and do hope someone will support as this issue is very hard to find a solution... Welding dissimilar metals is alway make people headache!

A very honest, thank you for your very kind support!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-07-2012 23:31
If these questions are for your homework then forget about it son!!!

I mean, you should have all the necessary resources available @ the school you're going to in their library!!!
And if you cannot find the answers there then you're either blind or too stressed out to find it and you need to calm down and treat your headache!!!
Or you're just a lazy idiot who is in panic mode now!

I doubt that this last possibility describes you although so far, you're not impressing me as a student that knows how to study. So get off your azz and get to it with using all available resources to find the answers to those questions because we don't help lazy bums who come here looking for the easy way out!!!
Don't forget to use the internet search engine also. Now make me proud son!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By congnt.biz Date 11-08-2012 09:02
Welding disimilare materials is a difficult issue... I have some document that may help, could you please leave your private email here so that I will send to your email...
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-08-2012 20:12
First of all, what do you mean by dissimilar materials?
Dissimilar kinds of steel, i.e., carbon to low alloy, carbon to stainless, low alloy to stainless, ferritic to austenitic stainless etc?
Or different metals: brass to carbon steel, titanium to stainless steel, brass to aluminum etc.?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

PS. Henry, don't you think you've been too severe with this youngster?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-08-2012 22:46
Hello Giavonni,

No.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 11-08-2012 22:32
Call these guys, they'll give you an ear full.

http://www.highenergymetals.com/
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 11-09-2012 14:48
This is not a question that can be answered in a forum like this. Dissimilar weldments are unique and are to be engineered. Carbon to SS, carbon to nickel, various CrMo's, superaustentics, etc., all have unique issues to deal with. And it can be related to service as well. The issues involved are anywhere from matching mechanicals, to matching chemistries, to martensite formation, intermetallic formation, thermal expansion response, element diffusion, ductility, cost, availability, etc.
If you provide a specific dissimilar we can perhaps assit in providing specific issues of concern.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-09-2012 16:32
vswe,
read js55's answer. That's why I asked you to clear up what do you mean by dissimilar materials.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-09-2012 22:04 Edited 11-11-2012 06:38
Giavonni & vswe,

I just want you both to know that I didn't mean to be overly harsh to you vswe...

Giavonni, I understand where you are coming from and yet, It's amazing how your critique made me think about whether or not I could have been a little bit easier on him and I still say no to you with the utmost respect because you really jarred my own memory into finding a real simple book that may explain to vswe just what he want's to know about.

So, the first book that came back in my frazzled memory is: The Avesta Welding Manual published by Outokumpu Stainless steel but, I noticed that any reference to Dissimilar welding was limited to Stainless steels so, if you still want to receive one free from Outokumpu, then just go to their website and do a search under Stainless steel welding guide which will tell you in order to receive one, you must go to any of their local offices... Now if you want further stainless steel sources then go to this link:

http://www.outokumpu.com/en/Products/Grades/stainless-properties/welding/Pages/default.aspx

This .pdf is a pretty good one and was written by Richard E. Avery of Avery Consulting Associates, Reprinted with permission from the American Institute of Chemical Engineers by the The Nickel Development Institute:

http://www.nickelinstitute.org/~/Media/Files/TechnicalLiterature/GuidelinesforWeldingDissimilarMetals_14018_.pdf#page=

There are a few more and it is really an easy thing to do when searching for any good material on dissimilar metals. And this first link is probably one of the best on dissimilar metals... So enjoy, but do some of your own research from now on okay vswe???

http://www.keytometals.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&site=ktn&NM=152

http://www.imoa.info/_files/stainless_steel/IMOA_Shop_Sheet

http://www.twi.co.uk/technical-knowledge/faqs/material-faqs/faq-what-are-the-residual-stresses-in-a-dissimilar-metal-weld/_104.pdf

http://www.ijest.info/docs/IJEST11-03-05-260.pdf

Thanks Giavonni and Js55 for helping me get my jarred memory to work smoothly again... What's your name again??? Just kidding friend!!!

Respectfully,
Henry          P.S. I fixed the broken link for Key to Metals above.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-10-2012 22:07
What is the point of this forum if not to help and answer peoples questions? I am totally aware that some very basic questions regards codes and standards are asked here, and I agree that if you are doing the work, you need the codes, but hey! there is a limit! We all need a refresher now and again!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-11-2012 06:56
I agree! However, this is not the place for students to get answers to their homework or, preparation for quiz or, exam questions or, to have  someone else do the searching for them while they sit back and patiently wait for the answers!!!

Now, I'm not saying everyone is of either of those possibilities but, this forum has had enough people doing just what I just described.
So I let this vswe person know that most of us in here are no longer going to tolerate any of those possibilities above!

I will give the individual some guidance on how to retrieve the information they seek or, I'll give them a link or two in order to get them closer to what they're looking for.
I could go on a rant and go off like a rocket but, what good would that do here? I'm Henry C. and I approve of this message!:eek::roll::yell::lol::wink::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-11-2012 08:48
Henry, you are THE MAN! I agree with everything you have stated!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-11-2012 21:51
Well then, I thank you 46.00!

You're Pretty Good yourself, in here!

Respectfully,
Henry
- - By weldktm Date 06-07-2013 12:03
you could have a look at this link:
http://www.weldinguide.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32
Parent - By aucado54 Date 06-20-2013 10:13
this link is broken
- - By aucado54 Date 06-20-2013 10:11
THE PROBLEM: Weld/repair a BRASS HINGE  to an aluminum access panel (door).

I have been asked to repair an aluminum door with a brass hinge that is an access to an underground utility tunnel. using bolts and other mechanical connection are not acceptable to the customer.
I have read of s"special" filler rod and the such but I seem to have found more advertisement and hype than factual explanation or discussion on this matter.
Please, any ideas and guidance will be most welcome.
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 06-20-2013 13:28
Hi

I think that if you start a new topic you will get some better responses.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / How to weld dissimilar materials