Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Turbo CAD 2D/3D Deluxe
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-07-2012 23:31
I got an offer in the email the other day, Turbo Cad deluxe 2d/3d for $89.99 with a dummy video(for me) free. Anybody use this before? I'm looking at it but not sure if it's worth it or if google sketch up is just as good free? Was also wondering about the format for drawings with the Turbo Cad? Is it dwg or something that real places such as rolling/cutting places could get the drawings I make in an email and open them? I know a software I have I have to convert to pdf but think a friend was telling me some places he deals with and I at some point only accept certain format for waterjet or laser cutting.

Just looking for input on this product. Thank!

Shawn
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-08-2012 01:08
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-08-2012 01:30
I would visit the website to see if it supports .DWG.   I have AutoSketch which is an Autodesk product.  It is around $100 and will support .DWG file formats.  I have opened and edited AutoCAD drawings that were .DWG files in AutoSketch.

You might be able to find a workaround for the file format issue.  I sometimes pull tricks like using the snipper tool to cut and paste screen shots of drawings.  You could for instance cut and paste an image from a screen shot into Word and then convert it to a PDF file.  You could also save the screen clip to a .JPG, .BMP, or .TIF file format.  I don't remember having the screen snipper tool until Windows 7 though.  But if you look, you might find a snipper for Windows XP.  It was free in my tools setup for Windows 7.

If there are a lot of fine details the copy/paste/format change routines may cause some loss in resolution.  But for a lot of applications I find there is sufficient detail and clarity.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your projects.  I will look at Turbo CAD because I am curious now.
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 11-08-2012 14:08
I've used TurboCad deluxe for about five years now.  I think it is a hell of a bargain.  Keep in mind it is the only cad program I have used, so I have a limited frame of reference, but it does everything I need for a much better price than similar programs.  It supports .dxf .dwg and about 20 more file types for import and export.  Saving files as jpegs to email to clients is easy.  The 3D tools are a little fussy at first, but pretty easy to figure out.  It has a decent library of material types and lighting for rendering.  The training materials I've found to be kinda half ass.  You're better off just using the help library that comes with the program.  There is a pretty good forum for TurboCad, shich you'll need if you do much with it.  Like any computer program, it's got its bugs and quirks and idiosyncratic bulls**t that occasionally makes you want to pull your hair out, but for the money, it is terrific.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-09-2012 17:06 Edited 11-09-2012 17:19
I found several older TurboCAD 2D/3D versions for Windows 7 at the Amazon website for only $38 or so.  I went to the websites to read up and I am very impressed with the different file formats that it will support.

I am currently in the process of writing up a business plan for my own work at home freelance business.  I have located several sites where work is posted and the process is:  bid, win the contract, do the work, and get paid by PayPal.

My concern is that most of the work says AutoCAD.  Although TurboCad will support the .DWG and other file formats I am wondering if anything gets broken in the import export process.  If I give a client a TurboCAD .DWG file will it be usable by my customers who might only have AutoCAD (with no additional editing)?
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-09-2012 21:28 Edited 11-10-2012 00:05
I just bought TurboCAD V17 2D/3D at Amazon for around $38.  No tax or shipping charges.  What a bargain!

I called the TurboCAD tech support 800 number and they assured me that I could move files between TurboCAD and AutoCAD with no problems whatsoever - aside from a rare occasional quirk with fonts if a difficult to transfer font is used.  I hope that is it as far as problems go.  If so, my clients would have no way of even knowing that I used TurboCAD and not AutoCAD.

The training for TurboCAD is WAY more costly than the software.  Around $140 at TurboCAD and $69 at Amazon.  But, I see several videos for free download at the TurboCAD website plus they offer a PDF user manual for free.  If I can get by with that plus the help menus I may not need to invest anything more.  I already have a 40 credit community college certificate in CAD drafting and design so I already know how to draw.  But if this is a difficult program I will need to invest more if I intend to take on any paid project work.

I am glad this thread came up.  It may net me some supplemental income.  Certainly an opportunity to do some Pro Bono work.  We have a charity in town that has a manufacturing facility that provides jobs for developmentally disabled adults and they are always looking for people to do volunteer CAD work for their projects.

I just can NOT stomach paying $4000 for AutoCAD for my home computer although I have worked for several employers in the past that have paid that bill.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-10-2012 06:13
OBEWAN,

One of the major differences from Autocad to Turbocad that I have found is the lack of a command line. But the cost difference is well worth it. There are also some intellicad programs that closely mimic autocad. I may have a 2D training DVD I can hook you up with. It is for an earlier version. Let me know if you are interested.

Here are some 3D Models I made with turbocad. All of the 3D solid objects can easily generate 2D views with just a few steps. Kinda neat.

http://weldingdata.com/New_Folder/misc/perspectiveviewinslip2.jpg
http://weldingdata.com/pictures/PT23p5frame.jpg
http://weldingdata.com/New_Folder/misc/consumableInsert1.jpg
http://weldingdata.com/images/windowweld1.jpg
http://weldingdata.com/Videos/pic.avi

It takes some time to learn but many of the drawing commands are the same. The menus are laid out different but you can customize toolbars if you like.

Have a good one

Gerald Austin
weldingclassroom.org
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-10-2012 01:16
I have used turbocad for many years. Tbe 3d modeling works well.

I am still using an older version.

The program is probably available for download as a trial.

I make drawings that are cut out on a cnc plasma fine.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-10-2012 13:49
Yes they have a free trial.

I just went ahead and bought it since it was so low priced.

At Amazon they only a a couple of the version 17 left in stock and I was afraid they would run out.  I got a real price break by not buying the very latest version.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-10-2012 14:47
I'm still using version 12 pro version. I think now, the delux version has some of the same features that were in previous pro versions.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 11-16-2012 21:35
My version 16 for $38 from Amazon came in the mail today and the install was simple and successful.

And, they gave me 50 hours of video tutorials and an upgrade to V19 as free bonuses.

What an an amazing value!

And their promotional info shows twice as many features as AutoCAD.  And, the interface seems pretty much the same as AutoCAD 2012.

I don't know what I would do without all the help I get from all the online forums I visit every day.  Thanks you guys!

Now I can support my CAD work from home as a freelancer or as a regular W2 employee.  And, I have an interview with a turbo machinery company on Monday.  They want CAD, welding procedures, CNC machining, inspection, cost estimating, yada yada yada
Parent - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 12-06-2012 17:15
Good morning, my fellow tradesman, I've been using AutoCAD for about 16 yrs, as well as Pro-E 3D software..
I'm a welder by trade as well...I currently work as a Product Designer for a company, which we build mud pump packages..

I'm wanting to start offering designs and drawings for you all, Would it be a help to you all, if you could send
the info to me, and have the drawing finish in hours and sent back to you in drawing format..
That would allow you, to work on things, you need done at your shop. Woukld that help cut down your time
on a project...
I've done city code drawing, for handicap, handrails, lay-outs of steel buildings. The 3D drawings will allow your customer
to see it before you build it...
I just wanted to get some feedback, from the Pro's out there...meaning you all..
I have welded with Cactusthewelder a few years back, down in Galveston.

Well, thanks for looking..
good luck out there...
Dawson aka GQ COWBOY
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Turbo CAD 2D/3D Deluxe