Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PRO-CUT 55 PLASMA CUTTER
- - By grizzzly (**) Date 11-10-2012 01:21
i am looking at a used PRO-CUT 55 PLASMA CUTTER
i looked around online and i cant tell if it is a good machine or not. most of what i was finding seemed like small problems, and i never found anyone bragging about there machine.
anyone here have/ use one?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-10-2012 04:33
I have a Procut 80. I have not used it much, but it seems to work fine, but I never used any other.

I hear You can't buy a new torch for them anymore, doubt You would anyway due to cost.

I don't know about internal parts availability, ask Kay.

I still see consumables for sale, I got Mine from ATL Welding Supplies eBay store. (800) 551-1086

The operating principle is like a Hypertherm or Miller, blowback arc transfer, no high frequency.

These machines may have been overpriced new. Northern Tool was selling an 80 amp machine on eBay for about 1K more than a similar new Hypertherm from a welding supply on eBay a coupple years ago, I think after Lincoln stopped production.

Mine was actually a Redi Arc, same machine but with a stainless cover. They hammered the dents out, re painted, put on new decals and put on a new gun connection, and new gun on it.
If these were problem machines, I think they would have offed them much sooner.

Someone is going to tell You to buy a Hypertherm or Thermal Dynamics because they are the best.
They are both good, but in used machines, You take what You can find as long as it is good value.
Parent - By strother (***) Date 11-10-2012 12:29
I had a pro -cut  55 . I was never really satisfied with it. Had problems in the beginning with the arc swirling around . Turned out something was wrong with the gun.  3/8" was about the limit it would cut thicker but not any faster or cleaner than oxy / acetyl.   And it went through consumables like candy.  But I used it for almost 10 yrs. before replacing it so I guess I got my moneys worth.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-10-2012 16:38 Edited 11-13-2012 04:21
Interesting comments thus far.  Let me give you my experience:

We needed a new machine in a hurry.  Got a good deal that I won't go into from my local supplier.  Got the Lincoln Pro-Cut 60.  This was 15 years ago.  The machine is still doing great.  We just bought a new torch with all leads due to an accidental cutting through of the lead (with the plasma cutting from the inside and the lead had gotten pulled up so it was tight against the opposite side of the part being cut).  It was about $500 with the longer leads.  Still cheaper than a new machine that is rated the same, especially since this one still works fine.

As far as we are concerned the consummables last well for this size machine.  It does make a difference on who is using it and if they truly know what they are doing.  Remember, they are a drag machine up to about 3/8" thick material.  Keep the power down as low as possible for the material being cut.  Keep the right air filters on to supply clean air.  Keep the air pressure between 60 (min or it will shut down) and 70 for most applications (more is not better-just like oxygen on the torch or air to an air-arc). 

The '60' cuts up to 1/2" at 100% duty cycle and it will still do it after 15 years.  It is rated for about 1" if I remember right at about 30% duty cycle.  BUT, I have 'cut' through 1 1/2" with it on several occassions.  You just have to move slow and smooth and go in a small circular motion to cut a wide kerf washing out the metal.  We have used it on Stainless, Aluminum, Standard Carbon Steels, Tool Steels.  Always did well. 

Now, in all my experiences with plasma machines, I have always felt that 'I' could cut through steel better and faster with a torch for materials over 3/8".  Even for some applications from 1/4" and up.  Depends upon the layout, size, straight or decorative cuts, etc.  And I have seen few machines that maintained a good straight kerf over 1/4".  They start to wander to the side so it depends upon what your parts are for and what you want the finished product to accomplish. 

I can usually train people to get clean cuts faster with the plasma than I can with oxy/fuel.  That equals faster clean up and prep for structural welding of parts.  The plasma slag pops off easier for most people than what they get for slag with the oxy. 

Grizzly, if you are getting a decent price on this, I would not be afraid of it.  Yes, I have another machine that I prefer for mobile work, smaller, lighter, but only cuts to 5/16-3/8" maxed out.  I have used others.  Some may have been better.  But most of it is in what you get used to, what is available at the time, warrantee if buying NEW, price, and training so the consummables will last properly.

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-11-2012 06:36
From what I understand, all plasma cutters leave a tapered kerf, nearer square on 1 side, with more of the taper on the other.

This becomes an issue in thicker material, but is not noticeable on thin stock.

Depending on quality requirements this more than anything else may limit the practicle thickness You can cut.

My 80 amp machine is as big as I can run in My single phase home shop. It is supposed to cut to 1" material with reasonable speed.

We had an Airco optical line tracer oxy propane torch table at the auto & truck frame plant. It would cut 6" plate with little taper to the kerf. Oxy fuel still wins on thick plate.
- By Dualie (***) Date 11-10-2012 09:53
I had a pro-cut60 that was the biggest piece of crap ever painted lincoln red.
- - By weldwade (***) Date 11-10-2012 10:05
I have used several Lincoln plasma cutters and they worked fine for me.

As Dave said parts and down the road out of pocket expenses for that machine may be more than others. The Hypertherm consumables last forever it seems. Very good product and easy to find parts for. I have used many and IMO they are by far the best out there.

I have an old Miller 375 cutmate that is currently broken thanks to my brother... It was a cheap machine that nickle and dimed me to death. I also have the spectrum 2050 and it has been a good machine. If I had it to do over I would have bought Hypertherm hands down.
Parent - By Regmanager (**) Date 11-12-2012 18:29
Buy a Hypertherm 30. It will cut circles around the Pro Cut 55 and will not give you the problems that the 55 will. Consumables will last longer also. JMO
- - By grizzzly (**) Date 11-12-2012 23:07
thanks for the replies
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 11-12-2012 23:38
If every brand was sitting on a table with no covers or shells, then you'd pick the Hypertherm every time.
Parent - By Sberry (***) Date 11-21-2012 14:59
I have/had a 60. At first it looked simple, about half of it off the shelf but when a circuit board went south,,, built in logic,,, I scrapped it. I am going to try to work around it one of these days, I liked the cut fine. The torch and the consumable saftey was always sheet, had to wrap mig wire around the cup to get it to work. Have seen some 55's in the dumpster too, personally wouldnt touch a used one and new would almost scare me. I have a blue one now but would likely go Hyper next time.
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 11-23-2012 14:17
Several years ago during a talk with a Lincoln rep, he said Hypertherm was top of the line.
I had an ESAB, which was ok, but traded for a powermax 45 and finally was happy with plasma.
Like Welderbrent, I prefer a torch for 3/8 and up.
Parent - - By kswelderman (**) Date 11-26-2012 18:17
ive got a 55. its been workin fine for me for probably 8 or so years now. i dont like the fact that i cant run it off my portable tho. oh and the consumables , ouch !
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-27-2012 06:06
Who are You getting Your consumables from & what are You paying for them ?
Parent - - By kswelderman (**) Date 11-27-2012 17:59
my lws. Matheson Trigas. for a new dragcup, 5 pk of electrodes, and 5 pk of nozzles like $70.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-28-2012 02:09
That is pretty close to what I paid at ATL eBay store. My LWS doesn't stock them, and doesn't give Me a break.
Parent - - By kswelderman (**) Date 11-30-2012 15:38
seems expensive to me. i havnt had to replace a torch tip on my welding rig in years though ! i guess plasma and torchs have their own places in what we do .
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-01-2012 01:25
I understand that moisture in the air supply greatly reduces consumable life, but they have limited life even under good conditions.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PRO-CUT 55 PLASMA CUTTER