Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / GOT MY CWI CERT
- - By allansitu84516 Date 11-10-2012 05:38
to all the people on this forum who thinking about getting their CWI, GO DO IT!! it is not as difficult as what some of the CWIs have told you. here are some of my advices:

1) do all you can to get your hands on the seminar materials,most importantly the practice exams and questions. and give yourself AT LEAST two-three months to study on the material back and forth as many times as you can especially the WIT.

2)if you follow the advice above then DON'T attend the seminar except the hands on part which i do think is helpful for people who don't work in testing lab and havent seen many bend samples

3) if any code books are the same for you, TAKE THE API 1104 code book exam. in my opinion AWS makes it a big advantage for people taking the API 1104 by adding more questions. because you lose less points from one question that you dont know and by having more questions you have more chances to get more points.on top of that the API 1104 is a much thinner code book that you can actually read through the whole thing a few times. i read through it 3 times and came up with a highlighting system that i think work pretty good for me.

i am a NDT inspector and have never welded in my life. i pass the test the first try. a coworker of mine took the test with me the same day and failed. that was his third try. i believe it is very possible to pass this test if you really dedicate to it and give all you can to study for a couple months.

good luck to you all future CWIs
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-10-2012 07:14
Move over Cactus
Parent - - By teewill411 Date 11-10-2012 19:25
When did you take your test? or What date did you take your test on?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-11-2012 13:20
Pretty sure it was a Saturday
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 11-11-2012 21:08
Good job passing the "API 1104" test.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 11-12-2012 08:41
allansitu84516,

Thanks for the advice, and congratulations on passing the AWS CWI Examination!

Unfortunately, many who take the CWI test do not pay for it themselves and are required by "the owner" of their career and lives to test under other criteria.
I say, given the choice, test on the API cuz it is a cheaper book.
Of course, if yo "Boss" tells ya what to do, then...... you don't need no books or studying, the company will pay for the seminar.

Way to go for your first time.
I guess your co-worker might think it is tougher than you present it......
Parent - - By Oneatatime (**) Date 11-16-2012 05:03
I didn't think it was all that hard either, i guess i was expecting more.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 11-16-2012 11:42
Also keep in mind that there are different types of people and some are not as stressed as others when it comes to the academic portion of a task.  You take your average laborer, welder and put them in a classroom setting, give them a time'd exam under pressure, alot of people don't perform well under those circumstances.

Good for you passing on your first time.  I did as well but I did take the seminar and was glad I did, I don't think I would have passed it if I hadn't.

I do take exception to your statement "I have never welded in my life" and now you are a certified welding inspector.......
Of course you have to have some experience inspecting welds to apply and get accepted to take the test and of course you met that.  Just be aware that are times that it helps and may be a requirement to have some experience with welding so you can figure out how, where a problem is.  Of course this depends on where you work.  I'm in a shop enviroment so we need it, others doing final inspection only woulnd't need that skill.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-16-2012 17:36
Passing the CWI examination is an achievement to be proud of, but don't forget it is like passing the driver’s test. Passing the driver’s test does not mean the driver is ready for the Indy 500. Likewise, passing the CWI doesn't mean you are ready for the "Big One.”

There is nothing more dangerous than a newly minted CWI that lacks experience needed to temper what was learned in the classroom.

Good show.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 11-16-2012 19:30
or in some cases no classroom.
Parent - - By allansitu84516 Date 11-17-2012 01:30
thanks for the advice.for sure there are a lot i need to learn to become a seasoned CWI. i didn't mean to be cocky putting up this post. it meant to be an encouragement for people lack of the essential confidence to take the test. peace!!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-17-2012 11:57

>i didn't mean to be cocky putting up this post. it meant to be an encouragement

I managed to pass the exam on my first try also, I can't say that it was a breeze, but with good preparation(and some help on a few items during the seminar), I managed to do well on all three parts of the exam. The fella that went with me from our company had 30+ years of experience and didn't do as well, and went back for another shot at it at a later date and still didn't get enough points to pass. The notion that some have is to just show up for the exam without cracking the code open and hoping to pull off a win, and then get surprised.
Parent - By Oneatatime (**) Date 11-18-2012 07:52
I saw this with over half the people i took the exam with, i paid outta pocket and studied for 4 months, i went over all of the books i could get my hands on and it paid off with passing the first time.
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 11-18-2012 04:43
If you are going to work on schools or hospitals in California, take it on D1.1
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 11-19-2012 12:12
allensuite
Your original post may have come across a little bit like that, but I understand your point and I take no offence.  I wish you the best of luck and you'll always be learning new things in this field and on this forum, just keep your mind open and you'll be fine.
Good luck
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / GOT MY CWI CERT