Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Professional Courtesy PLEASE!
- - By Superflux (****) Date 11-12-2012 08:23 Edited 11-12-2012 16:47
I keep seeing snide comments like this...
Good job passing the "API 1104" test.
So, what is that "API 1104" in quotes supposed to mean? Why did you not just say "Good job on passing your CWI Exam"? And thusly (Respectfully) congratulate a new member to this elite club.
I find this a bit RUDE and unprofessional at the very least.
Yes, it has raised my hackles, and I feel it necessary to make the following CHALLENGE and observations.

CHALLENGE!
For all those who detract the accomplishment of passing the API 1104 (on the AWS CWI exam), I humbly ask YOU to post YOUR scores showing the difference between YOUR API 1104 vs the AWS or ASME results (we are under the assumption you needed additional endorsements to your existing CWI). If any one of you can show me a marked difference in YOUR scores, then please display them so the rest of us can make a truly informed decision before deciding which book to test under.
Are there any amongst you that care to cast this "first stone"? I would relish the opportunity to see those stellar scores on the API 1104 that far surpass the ASME or AWS D1.1.
AND then, I ask this fair play disclaimer. If you did in fact score better on the API 1104... then, what was your professional experience in dealing with BOTH codes?

COMMENTS;
1) I will PROUDLY admit that I have taken the CWI 3 times with the API as my test of choice.

2) Why you may ask? Simple economics, I doth respond. 
I paid for my tests out of my own pocket and had children to raise and did not feel it a prudent use of my Family funds to spend more than needed for a book for a test for whose results bears equal magnitude to those "Holier Codes".
BTW, I used some of that saved revenue to take my family to the 1986 World's Fair in Vancouver, British Columbia!
Oh, you say 3 times??? 86010681, 9804131, 08010581 Those are THREE legitimate AWS CWI #'s issued to ME, and which 2 of course are expired.

3) I have been employed as an Inspector over 26 years, working under many ASME BPV and "B" codes, AWS D1.X, X, X etc, AISC, FEMA 353 (before it was justifiably replaced by D1.8), TACOM 12479550, Det Norske Veritas, NBIC, ABS... He!!, I'm getting tired, but you get the point??? My credentials have never been questioned past an inquiry to the AWS to see if my CWI# was current.

4) The lowly API (Standard) 1104 nowdays is 70 something pages long. Back in 1986 when I first became a CWI, it was only 36 pages in length!!!
Now, my guess, and it is only that: AWS being the Author's and Proctor's of the CWI examination, most likely hold their Document (AWS D1.1) in high status. I'm also guessing that they just might try to make those API questions a bit more nebulous (if that is possible compared to the infamous Part B Practical!). Rumor has it that the API section of the CWI exam contains More questions than the other options... Now why is that??? Just because the book is less voluminous does not make it any less interpretable. In fact, it is more confusing than a Shakesperean Sonnet...

Epilogue,
Anyways, I just think that the AWS CWI is an accomplishment worthy of praise.
That's just me, a proud CWI (intermittently!) since 1986. When no one (OK, very few) knew what it was.

I congratulate all newcomers to my club house. GOOD JOB!

FWIW, I've thought about letting this # lapse just so I could take it again... ya know... stay on top of the game, maybe go for a record???!!!
Anyone out there have 4 (or more) AWS/CWI numbers?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-12-2012 13:35
I didn't see the farm code in that?? don't be braggin till you've passed the farm code addenda to it. :twisted:
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 11-12-2012 16:50
True, I don't have the Farm Code endorsement, but I have read, reviewed and referenced it on many an occasion.
I feel competent to apply it whenever required.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 11-12-2012 17:39
LOL, calm down.  I didn't mean to ruffle oversensitive feathers with my quotation marks.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-12-2012 17:52
Back im my days of erector engineer I took part in the erection of power plants, oil refineries and chemical plants, where the applicable Code is ASME IX; oil and natural gas pipelines and boosting stations, where the applicable standard is API 1104; and heavy structural steel, where the applicable standard is AWS D1.1.
In the power plants, oil refineries, chemical plants and oil and gas boosting stations there were light structural steel to erect (platforms, walkways, stairs, columns etc.) and pipe supports to install. Strictly speaking, they should have been welded by welders qualified under AWS D1.1. Nevertheless, the client and the contractor (us) decided that those items were of light nature and could have been welded by welders qualified under ASME IX or API 1104.
Many years have passed and none of the plants that I took part in its erection busted or blew up, which means that our decision wasn't that wrong.

I've noticed that many of the frequentors of this site consider API 1104 as a "second class" standard, whereas ASME IX and AWS D1.1 are "first class" ones. I don't know why. If a weld located in a natural gas piping leaks, a tremendous explosion can happen, with deads, injured and property loss.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By allansitu84516 Date 11-12-2012 19:04
well said!! I bet you're referring to one of the guys' comments on my post. honestly i feel proud of taking the api 1104. you know the funny thing is, before i took the test i talked to many cwi who took the d1.1 and when i told them i am taking the 1104 they all said i am an idiot because there's no index in the api 1104. so they think that the api 1104 is somehow more difficult because of the lack of index but then they made fun of me for taking an "easier" test!!?? i really dont get the thinking process here. my goal is to get into pipeline inspection and get some api cert and that's part of the reason why i took the api 1104. another reason is i do think there's an advantage of taking the 1104 over the d1.1 because there are more questions in it.

i paid for my own test and seminar as well and for any cwi out there have done that they know it is not cheap, the cost of the whole package plus missing work.not to mention for api 1104 you gotta buy your own codebook which is $300 for about 65 pages of book. now i didnt think the seminar was all that helpful but that's just me and my opinion. maybe i studies hard enough that i didnt need the seminar and thats why i dont suggest people to take it. so if some people got problem with that, THAT'S TOO BAD!! i didnt mean to be show bone by saying i passed the test the first try because i also did say that you have to be dedicated to the studying.

so here , I PASSED MY CWI API 1104 EXAM.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-12-2012 21:26 Edited 11-13-2012 12:57
Superflux,
  I have been told by "People in the Know" (no I will not drop names) that AWS is over time and currently tightening up the API 1104 test. It is evident if one watches how the test is evolving, even by your own statements of the number of questions from 1986 until now.

While I do not think it is the case so much now, in the past API 1104 was definitely the "easier" of the two tests D1.1/API 1104.

I can not even count the times I have seen people with good structural background go test to D1.1 multiple times and fail, then go pass API 1104. This would happen to the extent that they would tell others that had failed D1.1 to go test to API 1104.

It was a long time running joke that if you could not pass D1.1 not to worry, just go test to API 1104.

Unfortunately as AWS tightens up the API 1104 test many are not lightening up on the ones taking the API 1104 test.

I will not currently detract from the accomplishment of passing the AWS CWI exam to API 1104, BUT I do know of people who were born and bred "Structural Guy's" that could not pass the D1.1 test and went back to test to API 1104 for the sole reason that it was an easier test, and they passed. I also know of one structural company that had to get three inspectors certified through AWS and after 2 attempts at passing D1.1 they sent them to test to API 1104 because someone told them it was an easier test and guess what?.... They passed. They all also said "Damn, we should have done that in the first place and we would have been done". These inspectors were all three Lead Inspectors (2 day shift and 1 night shift) with several years of structural experience. And this was only 3 years ago. This "Structural Steel Shop" also currently will only send inspectors to test to API 1104. :eek: ????

Again, I will not currently detract from the accomplishment of passing API 1104. For the sake of conversation, let’s say that the API 1104 test is a little easier. It is still not currently an EASY test.

Having said all that, I do have an opinion on which test to take and the answer will vary depending on the person.

In my opinion, a person should take the test that applies most to what they will be focusing their career on. AWS has gone quite a ways in helping make this possible by offering the AWS CWI tests in more formats than they used to.

When I tested it was D1.1 or API 1104 only. So keeping that in mind, it was my opinion at that time that to get the most out of it and to be better equipped to step out of my comfort zone to inspect to any code I might come across, that D1.1 was the one for me because at the time I do believe it was the harder test to pass and that I could better prepare myself for other codes. Again, this is only MY opinion and also what might have been best for ME at that time might not have been the best for the next person.

I believe that currently if a person passes the AWS CWI test in any format D1.1/API 1104/B31.3 or what have you, then they have for sure accomplished something.

I guess I kind of veered off from your challenge, but I tested to D1.1 and only have knowledge of sample questions from API 1104 and the code, so I have no scores to submit for comparison. I sure wish I did have something to compare from 2003, I am sure they would be surprising to some people.

All I have is first hand observations like the ones above.

While I am sure money plays the biggest role in it, I am glad that AWS is currently offering the test to more than just D1.1 and API 1104 and that they are working to make the test's equal in difficulty across the board.

jrw159
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 11-13-2012 00:45
I really don't care which test people take.  It's kind of like going to medical school, when you graduate, you're still a Doctor, whether you're a Brain Surgeon or a Proctologist.   :grin::lol:

Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-15-2012 13:23
Well said.
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 11-13-2012 03:56
Who the hell cares what test someone else passed... shut your pie holes about someone else's ticket... work your projects to the code required... my clients pay my rent, not some other inspector who thinks he's hot poo
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 11-13-2012 18:20
English being not my mother language (and slang even less) would you mind clear me up what do "pie hole" and "hot poo" mean? I searched those expressions on the Webster's dictionary with no success.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 11-14-2012 01:05
Pie hole = mouth

Hot poo = excrement
Parent - By allansitu84516 Date 11-14-2012 02:29
lol
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-14-2012 03:04
There's also this one: "Romney is a poo-poo head" spoken by none other than Grover Norquist who certainly tends to sound more and more like a "pato!" after seeing his candidate lose the Presidential Election.

Grover Norquist is the person who is a tea party advocate who thinks he's a real leader, and has made a whole bunch of Republican politicians to sign a Pledge to not raise taxes - EVER!!!

This is why Poo is on a lot of Americans minds Giavonni!!! Btw, Pie Hole also refers to the pie hole in the middle of some really good tasting Apple PIE!!!

Henry
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 11-15-2012 00:37
When did a politicians pledge ever mean anything?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-15-2012 03:38
You got a point there Duke, You certainly do!:eek::lol::yell::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Professional Courtesy PLEASE!