Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I love it when a plan comes together
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-14-2012 23:01
After much pursuit, designs, final designs, reworks of designs and then finally approval only to be put on hold we got the go ahead on our fancy gates. Now, once the gates have been completed the client has decided to put in a concrete driveway, thus, installation of said gates has been put on hold once again and they are gracefully holding up a second home.....behind their first home.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-14-2012 23:34
Nice work Shawn! I hate waiting to finish up the job. Worse yet is waiting to get paid!

The gates look great!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-15-2012 01:38
Good part about this job is they paid me the entire job up front!! So they can take as long as they like!!! Got another little project of theirs as well and when we dropped off the gates he was talking about issues with his mailbox and baseball bats so I'm going to suggest a decorative mailbox that will make the would be assassins cringe the next time they hit it!

Thanks by the way, I love this color! It changes. In the pics it looks bronze but out in the sunlight it looks green but as you move around it you can pick up the bronze and greens plus it is a textured finish. It is completely bad az!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-15-2012 05:04
Looks good, Is is it paint or powder coat ?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-15-2012 11:29
Powder Coating, I dislike painting.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-16-2012 02:11
How has it been holding up ?

Some blacksmiths I know tried it, but have gone back to auto spray paint, they send that out.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-16-2012 11:38
Everything I've had done is holding up great. It all depends on who does it. It's the same with our situation, hacks crawl out of the woodwork saying they can powder coat. I've used two places in Nashville. First one is great, does fine work but sandblasting is an extra charge and typically would not do it. The new guy I use sandblasts everything, better surface for the powder to adhere to, mill scale removed gives a smoother finish. Then he washes it with a solution of some sort then does a double coat of powder. I try to get everything done so all I have to do is install it without onsite welding. I used a local place a little over a year ago, a machine shop that also does powder coating that did two jobs for me. After a year and a half the entire cap of powder peeled off like a banana on one job. I had a strip about 6 feet long! The caprail was rusted pretty bad. Had everything sandblasted and redone at my expense. After thinking about looking around their shop I remembered not seeing anyplace to clean the steel, the other two guys have wash bays, these guys had nothing. After talking to my guys they said it was most likely due to improper cleaning and they had oil on the steel when the powder coated it.

The stuff done by the other guys though, the professionals, is holding up fine and I'm sure my clients would have called and given me an ear full if it was not! I've seen powder that was over 20 years old. Faded, but old and still holding. When done right with professional powder it will last a long time.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-17-2012 02:05
Do You have any method of field repairing any nicks & scrapes that might happen in handling or installation ?
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-17-2012 03:49
Yeah, powder coat touch up paint that is made special for touching up powder coat with colors that match exactly. Unfortunately this gate color has no touch up paint available as it is a custom made color so that's the only downfall.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 11-14-2012 23:54
Nice Work!
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 11-15-2012 02:57
dam nice work
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 11-15-2012 03:57
Very nice work. Do you have a bender for the tubing or do you send it out?

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-15-2012 11:40
I send it out. There's a place Alabama that I'm going to continue to use. Good pricing and great work so far. The rolled sections are 1/4" thick! Actually the top is 4 seperate pieces. Building these gates made me think how I sure could use an overhead crane!
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 11-15-2012 14:23
Thanks for the reply. You can't tell that it is pieced together. We built some gates for the county judge. Not near that heavy of a material and they were heavy as all get out. We are looking into at least a jib crane. Not the mobility of a bridge crane but would help with the heavy lifting. We did buy an electric winch from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. We made a mount and welded it to some red iron in the ceiling. Not meant to pick up a lot but has helped. We have picked up BBQ pits and lawn mowers.  Looking at these gates and your previous work, I can tell you take pride in your work and putting out a quality product. Keep thee pictures coming.

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-15-2012 14:48
They are in the neighborhood of 500lbs plus per half. I had to move one out of the shop by myself and used the cherry picker to get it on the trailer. Then slid one gate to the front and the other was near the back. Needless to say the "boys" were on medical leave for the next week or so!! Thought if I was 20 years younger....then stopped and thought, I wouldn't want to move them by myself 20 years ago!!!

Really makes you rethink your rig and shop that's for sure.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 11-15-2012 11:35
Sweet gate.
Love the flowing lines.
Tyrone
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 11-15-2012 13:21
Yes, them damn gates get heavier than you think and it is always time to flip them over.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I love it when a plan comes together