Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Reducer to Straight Butt Weld Design with Unequal Thickness
- By Rfair Date 11-15-2012 20:14
I have a particular fabrication request that involves a reducer section in a stack that is butt welded to a straight section of a thinner material thickness.  Does anyone know a good location I can search for a connection of this type to determine the proper requirements?  I have reviewed Figure 2.21 of AWS D1.1.  This is pretty close to the situation I have, except this appears to be for straight to straight connections, and does not include the angle I have due to the reducer section.  Can I safely extrapolate from the figures, providing that my reducer section is at an angle no greater than the 2.5 to 1 ratio shown in several of the figures?  If so, where/how can I determine the maximum offset allowed?  Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Reducer to Straight Butt Weld Design with Unequal Thickness