Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Fuel transfer tank certification
- - By pipes (**) Date 11-29-2012 14:00
Hello all, I am dealing with a company that makes fuel (primarily gasoline) transfer tanks for their trucks. Trucks are both under and over 10,000 GVW. They are looking at doing work in states that require certifications on these tanks. These tanks are single wall 12-14ga steel and aluminum tanks. A have a couple questions for you guys:

1. What code would a welder test to to qualify for this type of work? ASME Section IX seems right except these are not true pressure vessels as they have open air vents. Is there a specific code for fuel tanks? I am not familiar with it if there is.

2. Has anybody ever dealt with this at all? I would assume the DOT would have to register/certify these tanks as they are in vehicles but the fact that they are interstate vehicles throws me.

If anybody has any experience with this I would surely appreciate the help. Even if you know what direction to point me in I would appreciate it, thanks!
Parent - - By newinsp (**) Date 11-30-2012 16:31
Parent - By pipes (**) Date 11-30-2012 17:45
Wow. Yes, that helps a TON! Thanks!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Fuel transfer tank certification