Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Tank inspections 653
- - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 12-01-2012 15:25 Edited 12-01-2012 15:36
Theres a job inspecting tanks that going to be coming up 30 minutes from the house that sure would beat the 10hrs away that I am now.  But I would need to obtain the API653.

My question is this. I know a ton about pipe welding and the codes associated with it but I am not to familiar about tanks in general.  What does the API653 entail and cover? What are the qualifications that qualify you to be able to take this test?  How hard is this test and lastly would I be getting over my head stepping into a job of that caliber coming out of inspecting heavy industrial piping and pipeline?

Anyone from that field of knowledge or expierence that has any input or advise would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-01-2012 17:58
Hillbilly,

Probably the best way to answer this question is to suggest you do a search using 'API 653'.  I just looked at it and there are many references with many ideas.  It would be too difficult to put them all up here. 

Maybe others with the experience will go ahead and offer some fresh advice to you but there are lots of older threads and posts containing information about API 653.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By CWIAPI Date 12-02-2012 12:09
Here is a link to the Body of Knowledge right from the API Website. http://api.org/certification-programs/individual-certification-program-icp/specific-info/~/media/Files/Certification/ICP/Programs-Detail/653BOK1009_2.ashx

It's an intensive test and it is only given twice a year in March and September. But, its a certification well worth having. Mine has taken me to diverse places such as Antarctica, New Zealand, Africa and the Middle East.  Best of luck and I say you should pursue it.

Cheers, Thomas
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-03-2012 04:12
API 653 D.2.1 gives the requirements to set for the test.
The test is given twice a year. The next one will be in March of 2013.
Here is the API web site
http://www.api.org/ICP
The test you will take will be one of the hardest you will ever take. You will not be able to skim the books and pass the test. Having taken the AWS/CWI twice, the 653 test is 4 time harder.
Nothing personal, but based on the fact you have never inspected a tank before in your life let alone for 5 years and are not a engineer who had overseen or inspected aboveground storage tanks for a year you are not qualified to sit for the test. However, the inspection company you are working for will in most instances sign off on the experience requirements and get it notorized.
Fill out the application, send API the test check, buy the books, take the Code West prep class, and you are as qualified as I am.
http://www.codewest.com/course-653.html
Oh, by the way, you will be out about $4 to $5K for the API books and counting lost time to take the prep class.
http://global.ihs.com/doc_detail.cfm?currency_code=USD&customer_id=2125482B390A&oshid=2125482B350A&shopping_cart_id=2125482B390A&country_code=US&lang_code=ENGL&item_s_key=00521560&item_key_date=991131&origin=CERT
Good luck. And remember, as a inspector you only have 2 things to sell. Your integrity and what you know.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 12-03-2012 17:35 Edited 12-06-2012 14:01
Curtis

Thanks for the great info. Currently inspecting in your neck of the woods. Pm me sometime I would love to buy you a beer.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 12-06-2012 02:30
Good luck.  I will be sitting for the test in March.  I plan to take a prep course in Oklahoma.  Start studying yesterday is my advice.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 12-06-2012 13:56
I hope to be taking the same course in March in Oklahoma City. Where are you going to be takeing your prepcourse?
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 12-06-2012 23:54
mark smith's class.
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 12-07-2012 07:54
To me, API 653 is the hardest compare to 570 & 510. A lot of things to study about foundation, bottom, shell, roof plates, lining etc.
You need to read and understand the Codes & API RP relevant to exam. I think the key to pass is to read and read, it will be easy for you to pick the right answer when the wordings sounds familiar to you. What you have read and learned during the exam preparation will be useful for your actual work as API 653 Inspector.

Good Luck!

~Joey~
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Tank inspections 653