Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.2 WPS QUAL. Question
- - By BryantB (*) Date 12-01-2012 19:48
Hey Guys,

Im reviewing AWS D1.2 and trying to figure out what my WPS Qualification test should be.  Do I have the allowance to qualify my wps with special test weldment to relate more to the production part?.  Maybe Im missing something.  I use AWS D17.1 the majority of the time, and havn't perused a structual code book in a while. 

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

-Bryant B.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-02-2012 06:01
I think as long as you can get the required number and type of tests required for the type of joint you will be welding, you should be good.
Parent - - By BryantB (*) Date 12-02-2012 19:30
So are you only allowed to use the test size given in the code?

Thanks

Bryant B.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-03-2012 14:42 Edited 12-03-2012 14:45
What type of test?
the 2008 code shows 5 different types of test,
plate-groove, CJP
plate-groove PJP
plate-fillet
pipe-groove CJP
pipe-fillet

cose further goes on to detail class 1 and class 2 structures

3.17.5 details information on how performance qualification can be obtained from a PQR tests
Parent - - By BryantB (*) Date 12-03-2012 23:31
Well there in lies the rub. I want to qualify a wps to weld on .75" .125"wall aluminum 6061.  Does the pipe groove CJP test do that for me. How long does the test sample have to be.  Would it be listed under the firgure that shows the 6G test sample for instance. I feel like Im missing something.lol 

thanks for hanging in there for me.  Structual is so different I think from D17.1.

Thanks again

Bryant B.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-04-2012 12:12 Edited 12-04-2012 12:25
So table 3.4 says that if you are on a Class 1 structure, a pipe test on 6" thru 8" with a wall thickness of 1/8" thru 3/8" will qualify your procedure for 3/4" thru 16" nominal OD pipe and you will be allowed to work on wall thicknesses from 1/8" thru 2 x actual wall thickness used in the test.

Class 2 is similar, except you need to use 2" S80 or 3" S40 pipe, and the ranges are 3/4" thru 4" OD and 1/8 thru 1/2 WT

The classes refer to static or dynamic loading of tubular structures

you will need a tension test of some sort, either a reduced section as per Fig 3.7, alternate reduced section per Fig 3.8 or full section per Fig 3.9.  All of the dimensions are in these figures, several of the lengths are "as required by testing machine"

I do not see an option for a test assembly other than that in the code

It looks like performance qualification will be handled with the same coupon as the PQR test

Nothing says you cant add your own testing, as long as code requirements are met.  Run the above tests, and then have the guys weld out a coupon that is like the production part, they have to pass both tests to do the work
Parent - - By BryantB (*) Date 12-04-2012 17:43
that makes sense. it looks like u have the option for RT with the tests but specific to wrought materials. do u think u could replace the other test inspection requirements for the coupon test with just one RT examination.

thanks again

bryant b
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-04-2012 22:15
Im  away from my code right now, but I think you have to do the destructive tests
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-05-2012 12:10
Thr RT option looks like it is only for performance qualification, groove welds, and wrought materials.  your original post was on WPS qualification, so Id say you are going to have to do the tensiles/bends
Parent - - By BryantB (*) Date 12-05-2012 14:33
yeah better to be safe. Thank you For all your help.
Parent - By BryantB (*) Date 12-05-2012 14:33
Thanks guysfor the help.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.2 WPS QUAL. Question