Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / SMAW or GTAW?
- - By hobart (*) Date 12-02-2012 16:51
dear friends
I have a question about repair welding of cracking furnace tubes. these tubes are HP alloys (25 cr-35 ni) and welded with same filler material. when we want to replace a section of piping system _because of failure_ we have to weld a new tube to old section that had been in service, maybe for years. because of all old tubes have been carburised, the proper method is annealing the tubes before welding but such process is very hard and time-consuming. and major problem of welding without heat treatment is cracking, specially in HAZ. I observed when we minimized the gap and performed a welding with SMAW against GTAW, Probability of cracking is  relatively reduced.
what is your opinion/ am I right?
thanks
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-03-2012 04:10 Edited 12-03-2012 04:15
If possible, you're better off building a new one from scratch!  Hey! You asked for an opinion!:eek::roll::lol::wink:

Now let me get this straight... "when we minimized the gap and performed a welding with SMAW against GTAW, Probability of cracking is  relatively reduced."

Are you saying that using SMAW as opposed to GTAW, the probability of cracking is relatively reduced?

You need to give us more information regarding this project because it's all in the details - CAPECHE??? :confused::eek::roll::lol:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By hobart (*) Date 12-03-2012 07:41
thank you ssbn, forgive me for my english. as I mentioned these are my observations and I didn't have any research about that project. my question related to differnces between SMAW and GTAW in this special case. SMAW reduced the probability of cracking than GTAW.
and what kind of details did you consider?
thanks for your attention
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-03-2012 22:10
You say that "you observed that when you minimize tha gap and perform the weld with SMAW instead of GTAW, the probability of cracking is relatively reduced".
OK, hobart, if you observed that it must be true, who am I to say that it is not? It's you that was on the job site and saw it with your own eyes. 
In my opinion, a leaky tube should be replaced, as ssbn says. I admit that 25 Cr 35 Ni is an awful expensive material, but when it has given all of was expected from it, let it retire from active work!
A question. You're talking of petrochemical or oil refinery furnace tubes. Are they attached to headers? If so, how are they attached? By welding? 

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By hobart (*) Date 12-04-2012 17:21
thank you G.S.Crisi
as I mentioned, I observed that but I am looking for the rationale. you are right and I'm talking about petrochemical furnace. we don't have any problem with retire the second hand tubes if necessary but when one of the fittings was failed you have to cut out and change that, while the tube which was welded to failed coupling is carburised and suspect to cracking. these furnaces was designed by LINDE Group, with vertical coil (tube) system, gas entered the tubes through laval nozzles, after passing the all of tubes and heating to 900 degree of celsius, cracked ethylene exited the system and entered in the transfer line heat exchanger. each furnace has for seperate tube system that welded to each other.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-04-2012 21:49 Edited 12-04-2012 22:01
Well, you're talking of a petrochemical furnace, where the tubes are in the vertical position. If I understood well, on top of two adjacent tubes there's a 180 degrees bend (that you call "fitting" and also "coupling") to interconnect them. The same is true for two adjacent tubes bottom. The bends are welded to the tubes.
You also say that when one 180° bend has failed, you must cut it out from the tubes and install a new one. You say that here comes the problem, because the tube ends, to which the 180° bend will be welded, are carburized and suspect to be cracked.

What do you mean by "carburized"? Is it a more or less thin (or more or less thick) layer of carbon deposited on the tube inside surface? Or is it carbon that has diffused into the tube material?
In the first case, the carbon layer is easy to see and not so easy, but perfectly possible, to be removed mechanically by means of a special tool whose name in English I don't know (in Portuguese is "broca").
In the second case, only a chemical test will show whether or not there's carbon diffused into the tube material. If there is, my advice is to replace the tube and sell the discarded one as scrap. 25% Cr and 35% nickel are always valuable, even if scrapped. Welding will be nearly impossible with that carbon content.

Question: why do you "suspect" that the tubes are cracked? Have you carried out an inspection on the metallurgical mycroscope?
If the answer to the question is "no", why don't you take a failed 180° bend, one of those you have replaced, and observe it on the metallurgical mycroscope? If it's cracked, the tube end wil also be, for the simple reason they were welded together. In this case, my advice is also to scrap the tube and sell it for the material value. Repairing the cracks one by one by welding will also be nearly impossible. 

There's another possibility. You say that the furnace was designed by Linde, a very well known engineering company. Why don't you ask for advice to them? If they were the designers, they should be in position to give a qualified consultancy.

Giovanni S. Crisi

PS. Henry, do you think the information contained in this posting is enough for you to give a recommendation to hobart?
Parent - - By hobart (*) Date 12-05-2012 17:52
thank you Giovanni
your guides is very effective. first, I should say you have good cognition about these furnaces. second,I think carburization was in both forms. before welding, internal and external surface of tube was grinded to remove carburized layer but in many cases cracking was occured. deep diffusion of carbon into tubes at approximately 900 celsius, likely the reason of that. but you are right when you said "you should carry out an inspection on the metallurgical mycroscope".
tubes was manufactured by Manoir and suggestion of company in such cases is annealing the tube, expensive and time consuming process. but I have observed SMAW was reduced cracking than GTAW. I like understand the reason.
answer: I see those crack, very clear. let me say one important thing, I'm from Iran, you know my country is under International sanctions, because of inimical actions of Iran's goverment. then contact with european companies and buying from them is very very very difficult.
I should spend more time on metallurgical assessment.
thanks alot
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-05-2012 21:24
First. It's not a good practice to remove tube scaling by grinding with a grinding wheel. By "scaling", I understand any layer of any material deposited on a tube inside surface. Examples: calcium carbonate deposited on the inside surface of a heat exchager tubes (water hardness is the reason); carbon deposited on your petrochemical furnace tubes.  It's not a good practice because it's a job that must be carried out with extreme care, otherwise you'll grind also the tube material and its thickness will be reduced. As I told you on my former posting, there are special tools to do that, whose name in English I don't know, that will remove the scale but leave untouched the tube material.

Second. Yes, it's quite possible that carbon diffusion has also occurred, taking into account the high temperature the tube is subject to (900 Celsius). However, only a chemical test will confirm that suspicion. If it's true, then I believe it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to weld the tubes.

Third. I don't understand how annealing will reduce the carbon diffused into the tube material. Don't take Manoir word for granted; in my personal experience tube manufacturers know very well how to make a tube (or pipe) but know very little on how they perform in service.

Fourth. If the cracks are visible to the naked eye, then they are big enough to scrap the tube, unless you are patient enough to repair them one by one by welding.

Fifth. I confess my ignorance. I don't know the reason why SMAW is better than GTAW in your case.

Sixth. I insist. Ask Linde, the furnace designer, for recommendations. Politics has nothing to do in this case. They're the furnace designer, they've guaranteed their design and they have the obbligation to  assist you in solving your problem, no matter if Iranian government is good or bad.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By hobart (*) Date 12-06-2012 15:51
thank you very much giovanni
I'll try cotact with LINDE.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / SMAW or GTAW?