Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / grinding after thermal cutting of test specimens
- - By devo (***) Date 12-03-2012 03:13
I don't have the book handy, but where it shows the drawing of how to prepare side bend test specimens for the unlimited thickness D1.1 groove test, it states "leave no less than 1/8" to be removed by machining".  At the school I work at, the students are preparing the specimens with a track torch, and only grinding to shiny metal before they get bent.  They have the blessing of the instructor and supervising CWI to use this method.  So I am confused, if the code allowed grinding to shiny metal, why not state that in the code?  The CWI says once the carbon is removed from the surface, all is well.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-03-2012 03:43
So, let's see if I have this correct...they are using a track burner to burn through 1" plate and then cleaning it up for testing?

1) Are they removing the backing bar before or after cutting the piece to approximately 5/16-3/8 of an inch thick?
2) Does "shiny" mean all ripples from the burning are removed so they are dealing with a smooth surface where it is getting bent?
3) How are they removing the backing? By burning, grinding, or twisting?  (please tell us there is a backing bar being used for the welding)
4) What is the burned dimension of the sample? 
5) What is the finished dimension of the sample?

I don't have my book handy either, I will have in the morning.  Just trying to think of any added information that may help understand what we are dealing with here.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 12-03-2012 04:09
They are oxyfuel gouging the backing bar off before cutting in the track torch.  All ripples removed, even the ones caused by slag inclusions, but still nowhere close to 1/8" metal removal.  Burned dimension, about 3/8", finished about 5/16".  And by the way, no visual inspection of coupon beforehand by instructor.  No check of excess reinforcement or undercut.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-03-2012 13:36 Edited 12-06-2012 12:17
One has to inspect the cover pass for excess convexity, porosity,and or uncdercut, rollover, before the test is cut.  I look at like it's a mulit step inspecttion process.
The first is did they follow instructions and the WPS to actually perform the welding of the coupon?
If they did the next step is a visual insepction of the cover to make sure it meets code requirements.
If all that is ok, then the next step is to slice it into the coupons.  I have cut the 1" off each end and stopped there because using FCAW thay had so much slag entrapped the backing bar litterally fell off the remaining part of the plate= done, end of story-fail.
But if they pass all of that, then I prep it for bending.
Now the catch is Ive always used a band saw to cut my coupons, never used a torch and I always wondered how well it worked prepping them that way.  I have had coupoons in the past a little thicker than required and a little thinner here and there.  Sometimes the piece shifted in the saw and got cut crooked.  It's not the welders fault if my cut was a little off and the quality of the weld isn't infrinjed upon.
If the code says 1/8" shall be removed by machining, then that's what is supposed to happen.
BUT keep in mind that there are two sides to each coupon, so that in reality is 1/8" on each side.  That seems like a reasonable request to get rid of the curf (sp?) from the torch.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-05-2012 20:37
Hey Chris,

You weren't really being 'corrected', just straightened out a little :lol:

But, when you editted your post you changed it to "1/18".  Not many people use those measurements  :confused: .

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 12-06-2012 12:17
ooops ,:confused:
:wink: thanks
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 12-03-2012 14:06
I'm thinking these 'qualifications' are really not for production use... not being signed by the Contractor, not to the Contractors WPS, etc. It's school, information only on what the students can expect in the way of mechanical testing in the real world.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-03-2012 14:56
I agree.  Still, if they are actually handing them a paper and telling them they are now 'Certified' Welders they had better do it correctly.  There are many small shops that would take that at face value because they don't know different. 

I don't know why they would remove the entire backing bar as they are when they could wait until it was in it's coupon, put it in a vise and twist the small section of backing off with a metric fits all (Cresent Wrench).  But, they can do that, and, since they are burning it into coupons that would work better since they would have a problem cutting through the double layer of steel. 

Bandsaws are much easier to me.  There is a clean edge for checking root and entire thickness before grinding and bending since you are to bend by stretching the side with the most visible discontinuities before the bending process.  And you can cut them to exact size with no grinding, just touch up the radius on the corners with a sander.  Grinding the torch cut edges tends to push material into the discontinuities making them more difficult to see beforehand.  Would not be my first choice. 

D1.1-2008, Figure 4.13 (see 4.8.3.1) definitely states "If thermal-cut allow not less than (emphasis mine) 1/8 in to be machined from edges".  It is detailed in the figure as 1/8" per side and thus would need to be originally cut at 5/8" in order to remove a total of 1/4" and end up with a 3/8" coupon for bending.  Hard to justify doing it otherwise, even for school if you want to show them the "real world" of welding AND testing.

There is no excuse for bending a coupon with no VT on the sample beforehand.  It is plainly stated as the process by which testing is done. 

One more item, I don't know that you can really make an issue of this but here goes...It states that after the cutting process the 1/8" per side will be removed by 'machining'.  There is no distinction in Annex 'K' of D1.1, nor in A3.0 Terms and Defs, nor in the text of the code.  However, in A2.4 Standard Symbols, 5.12.2, Contours Obtained by Postweld Finishing, there is a clear distinction between Chipping, Grinding, Machining, Hammering, etc.  Can it really be acceptable to grind inplace of machine when the code states "to be machined"?  That may be grasping at straws, but it just adds more uncertainty to the quality of the testing being performed.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 12-03-2012 17:17
I've always seen bandsaws used as well, but the bandsaw at this school struggles to cut paraffin, so a 1" steel bar would take hours.  I didn't think there was any wiggle room in the code, if it says remove 1/8" from each side, then that is what needs to happen, but my boss and his boss (the CWI) say grinding to shiny metal is all that is needed, as carbon contamination on the surface is what needs to be removed.  I was thinking that the HAZ from the cut might cause grain growth, and a subsequent increase in cracking probability, but that is a wild ass guess.  As far as "machining" with an abrasive disk, it removes metal in tiny chips, a milling cutter removes it with bigger chips.  As long as it's making chips, I think it qualifies as "machining".  Of course, some idiot with an angle grinder could hardly be considered a "machinist".
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-03-2012 18:14
Just goes to show why I don't accept papers from a school.   Teachers with CWI's often don't know all the in's and out's of the inspector's actual application of codes and qualifying a welder.  What's scary is when they also have an outside inspector whom I presume does this for his income and he doesn't follow through as prescribed.

As Duke said though, it is a school and not a production work line for a contractor/manufacturer.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-04-2012 04:22 Edited 12-04-2012 04:25
If the paper says it's compliant with the code... The work and inspection should comply .. Period.

It's not that big a project to generate a WPS with "hold points" that the students have checked off.  Those check off's can have clear reference to criteria or table 6.1... Whatever.

If the instructors you are working with are slack... Set an exampel yourself.

If you look out numerous students on visual, word will get out and believe it or not things will begin to go your way.  You can never be criticized for doing a proper inspection from start to finish on a performance qualification.

I set up the hold points on the WPS.. Explain.. Demonstrate each point and the criteria... Then if they miss a hold point it's an automatic failure.   They get the point rather quickly.

I also make my students remove the backing bars with Oxy-fuel, carbon arc and plasma gouge...  They need to learn how to use the tools don't they?  And how to grind to a high tollerance...  Grind the bend straps too thin when chasing an indication?  Fail    They pay attention the second time.

They prepare the straps under my supervision... I choose face, root or which side...  We challenge every discontinuity, just like an independent lab will do.
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 12-04-2012 14:29
..." if they are actually handing them a paper and telling them they are now 'Certified' Welders"... the students are being done a disservice if the difference between 'certified' and 'qualified' is not explained. One would think that a diligent CWI would want prospective tradesmen to understand as much as possible about the rules that govern their trade. Or maybe he's too busy not performing visual on test plates.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 12-05-2012 16:32
I stand corrected.
Appartenly it is 1/8" per side, not a 1/16" and 1/16".
I apologize for any confusion.  Doun't quote the code unless it's in front of you, and it wasn't when I made that statement.
sorry
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / grinding after thermal cutting of test specimens