Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Making the leap
- - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 12-03-2012 05:47
After many years of working for others and trying to land the perfect job. I have decided to go on my own. Im going in the morning to get insurance cuz a company that wants me to chase rigs for them requires it along with 6g cert qnd I supply all for 42.50 an hr. The way I see it if I gotta buy insurance for that chump change I might as well make it work to my advantage. Right? We'll see what happens. Wish me luck and pray. Lol.
I've been pondering on it for years and after this latest step on my ladder and my wife saying. Just do it im doing it. Im a nervous wreck
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 12-03-2012 11:40
Good Luck Shad,
Pretty soon you'll look back and wonder why you hesitated!

Tyrone
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 12-03-2012 14:12
I thought you were already on your own ?
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 12-03-2012 14:32
I was but always had something lengthy. But now it will be strctly on call. So wont be turning qnything down
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-03-2012 15:03
Man, we'd all like to see those numbers higher there Shad.  For both your sake and ours.  It doesn't speak well of our profession when people have to take that low of pay and still provide everything.  I'd find a way to keep most of my work off the insurance so when you are auditted as to annual sales and payroll you are paying for as little as possible.  Also, keep the General Liability as low as you can and still be covered for what the customer wants.  Once you pass $1mil they don't go up real fast, but they do go up and every penny is going to count.

Praying and wishing well.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-03-2012 15:22
As long as you maintain a strong work ethic,... Jump and don't look back.
You'll never regret it.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 12-03-2012 23:10
John I always do my very best or better on every job been called an over achiever many times. Jump made insurance ate up what was left in the.bank
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 12-03-2012 23:06
Thanks Brent I highly doubt ill get to or ever see 1 mill in a year and yes I have the lowest coverage possible pretty mufh just paying to have a card saying I have insurance I know ill need more coverage in the future ill cross that bridge when it comes. But with what I have it gives me a little more room to go to bigger jobs.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-04-2012 01:36
Actually, the $1mil is the Aggregate amount of your General Liability Insurance.  You will need about that much coverage or even more in case of accidents that damage properties you are working on. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 12-04-2012 02:40
Got that covered thqnkst
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-04-2012 02:49
Shad, Quit worrying. You will do well. I have been telling you that since the Hospital Bed and, I been right so far !
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 12-04-2012 05:26
Its a big change for me and out of my comfort zone. Just gonna nod my head and give it my best. Long term goal is to dispatching guys out on calls and sit back snd count my money
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-04-2012 11:11
Cactus is right.... Ptew.. There I said it.

And hard work isn't out of your comfort zone Shad and that is still what it's all about.

You have been posting here for years and seem like the right kind of man to do what your doing.

Just don't get so busy and rich that you don't have time to come back and visit with us  :)
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 12-04-2012 14:06
Lawrence you're both right ive always been my own worst enemy. And I couldny not come visit you guys. Yall have been there thru the good and bad times. Thanks
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-04-2012 02:52
On a Rig Call, the Welders Insurance has never been used that I or my Agent (They Specialize in Rig Welders) is aware of. It only Subrogates the Energy Company Insurance. It is Really, Good For Nothing. It is just a Required piece of Red Tape.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-04-2012 05:04
Shad  your a pro, therefore your phone will probably ring more then you want it too sometimes.  No Worries.  The Lord has a funny way of dropping jobs in your lap right when ya need em.  You will probably find it all more enjoyable in the long run.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 12-04-2012 05:29
Tommy I know the work so good now its easy. Im gonna be the only guy with this new CO. that can set a head. They dont pay extra for that but we all know how that works.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 12-04-2012 05:44
I think your selling yourself short on your hourly, plain and simple.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 12-04-2012 06:19
Thats not what I charge its what they pay its xmas and hunting season and its slow cwll me low rent or whatever its a job and the bills will get paid thats all that matters for now. My normsl rate is 65
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 12-04-2012 06:21
Not going to call you anything,  Your skills speak for you.   I just think your quality of work commands more respect than that.   

I can understand your position of having bills to pay and doing the work available.
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 12-04-2012 06:26
I didnt mean you were calling me anything they got guys working for 40.00 and single handers for 17 I guess when you own the joint you can do as you please
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 12-04-2012 23:11
Get out there and get yours Shad. You can do it, you have been doing it and now you have the opportunity to make your mark. Hard work is something you are not afraid of so I don't think you will have a problem. Use your resources and make it happen! Attitude is everything... Stay positive in every aspect of this new endeavor.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 12-04-2012 23:27
Hell Shad, the way your always workin'/lookin' for work I thought you were on your own/ in business already!!!!!:grin::grin::grin: Well congrats, "jump in the waters fine"......Coming next taxes,government regs.,  employee problems,bill collections,etc.. etc... etc.....:yell::yell::yell:
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 12-05-2012 04:31
Set it all in motion today waiting for the phone to ring going to go knock on some more doors tomorrow
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-05-2012 05:46
I hope it all falls together for You.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Making the leap