Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Examination part B D1.1
- - By eam Date 12-07-2012 13:55
Hello ,

I was attending CWI training course but fail in part B (70%), then I just have CAWI level :red:,
From my point of view it was the easier Exam part and maybe I did not care too much....
Of course, i need to complete CWI certification and i want prepare the exam properly.
Which is the best training book to prepare Part B? Main mistakes happends in topics
"welding inspection&flaws" (18/10) and "mech.test&properties" (4/2)

Thank in advance
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-07-2012 14:24
Eam,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

You have asked a question that has the potential of getting as many different answers as the number of responders that contribute.

But, here is mine...

Have you included B1.10 and B1.11 (Guide to the NDT Examination of Welds, & Guide for the Visual Examination of Welds) to your library and study?  They have some good information in addition to what you may have gleaned from experience, the pre-exam seminar, and the WIT book.

Now, if you didn't go to the seminar, I would also highly suggest the WIT (WIT-T:2008; Welding Inspection Technology) book and it's companion WIT-W:2008 (Welding Inspection Technology Workbook).

Every inspector has the availability to an invaluable resource that is easy to carry, as it is of smaller size, in the Welding Inspection Handbook (WI:2000) that has much in it as well. 

Besides those, now that you have a Part B practice book (if you went to the seminar) go back through it and make sure you get enough of the other questions right that a few questions in your problem areas won't lower your chances so much.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eam Date 12-08-2012 19:23
Dear Brent,

thanks for your quick answer and advices.
To be honest, i did not buy any AWS book yet,  that was the main meaning of posting.

Regards
Parent - By PWCameron (**) Date 12-11-2012 03:10
The CM - Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors is also worth the money.
PWC
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-12-2012 14:40
Did you take the exam ONLY without taking the week long seminar?  The cost difference is largely offset by the amounts of books that will be handed out as part of the seminar.  I found the seminar to be one of my best resources for the exam though I had studied hard and with most of the materials listed as adviced for self study before the exam.  I don't think there is such a thing as overstudying for the exam.  There is not one bit of information that will not be of benefit at some time as an inspector. 

The guys have made a couple of good additional recommendations.  It just depends upon how much you want to spend and study in preparation for the re-exam.  Obviously you missed several questions.  Even with most in the sections you named, you probably missed a fair amount from all sections.  Just eliminating as many of those as possible is going to improve your chances.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 12-10-2012 13:53
Same thing happened to me.  I took an online course through Son Set Consultants and scored very well afterwards.  The course has the same exact material that you have in your books, it just makes it easier to remember it.  http://www.weld-procedure.com/140cwipartbtraining.html
Parent - By Oneatatime (**) Date 12-12-2012 10:59
I found reading about NDT helped for a couple of those questions, The Handbook Of Nondestructive Evaluation is a little overkill, but brushing up and understanding mag particle, liquid pen, UT, and RT, are a few of the questions that a simple read can help a person solidify a pass/fail scenario....I am a welder, who happens to also be a CWI, not a inspector who happens to be a CWI.
The procedure handbook by Lincoln has alot of valuable information in it that i found to reinforce some of the topics associated with the exam, and its only 25$. Just my experience. But then again i over studied and can recite quite a few definitions from AWS A3.0 still.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Examination part B D1.1