Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Question about bridge welding cert and structural welding
- - By delarosa74868 Date 12-11-2012 00:04
What are the limitations on what a person can weld that has his bridge welding certification? A pair of contractors that I work for want me to get a bridge welding certification to weld one's bridges and the others structural welding on his commercial jobs.  They say as long as I have a certification, I can weld structural stuff.  It dont sound right to me.  It seems  that if I was to do some structural welding on a building and something broke and hurt someone one day, I would be at fault.   I dont mind getting certified for bridges, but should I tell the other guy to shove it?
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-11-2012 11:17
delarosa74868

First Welcome to the American Welding Society Online Forum.

Qualifying to AWS D1.5 is more stringent than AWS D1.1.

When I qualify welders I do it to AWS D1.5 and then I can write paper on them also for AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code.

But again Welcome to the Forum

Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-11-2012 14:21
Marshall,

Not being real familiar with D1.5 Bridge Code I am asking a question,  Does not care need to be taken as to the perameters of the D1.5 test taken in order for it to cross qualify to D1.1? 

Seems as though many tests taken to D1.5 will cross over to D1.1 but not necessarily the other way around.  Criteria is more strict with D1.5.  But a test taken to it can qualify one to do both as long as some of the essential variables are carefully observed.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-11-2012 14:41
Brent

I am surprised you asked that.:cool:

Care should always be taken when qualifying to a code that all essential variables are met.

BTW main difference between Welder Qualification in D1.5 versus D1.1 is Welder restrictions with test specimen.

The Welder can not use anything but hand tools for cleaning welds throughout the test on D1.5

Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-11-2012 17:06
Okay, thanks for the rebuff Marshall,

My wording wasn't exactly correct there.  Yes, essential variables always need to be watched, but I was referring to any difference between the two codes to make sure they are compatible as tested to in order to qualify a welder to both.

And, if the only real difference is in the inter-pass cleaning then it should be pretty easy to use one test to qualify a person to both.  For some reason I was thinking (that's what happens when we don't look it up instead of just 'thinking') there were a couple more items that needed to be addressed.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-12-2012 11:32
The tests are almost identical when it comes to the actual welding and prepping of the coupons.
I do the same thing, when I test my guys, I make sure they meet the stricter D1.5 requirements, and I write two different certs for them; one for D1.1 and the other for D1.5.

The size of the coupon is the same and joint, and the big difference is you can't use power tools on the bridge test, hand tools only.

If I were the person writing the OP, I would tell him to go for both, it only increases your chances of employment and makes you a more valuable employee.  There is nothing shady going on if all the requirements are met for both codes.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-12-2012 14:33
Chris,

Are the bend radiuses the same also? 

Thanks,

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-12-2012 15:10
Brent

Yes the Bend Radius's are the same.

Marshall
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-12-2012 17:42
Thanks Marshall,

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 12-12-2012 19:45
Yup, they are the same.

Chris
Parent - By ziggy (**) Date 12-14-2012 15:59
one effective tool to comply with the D1.5 requirement of "hand chipping and hand wire brushing" is a length of used bandsaw blade...when the blade is retired break about a 10" length of the bandsaw blade...it works quite well removing slag from the weld "toes"...learned it from very experienced welder...
ziggy
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Question about bridge welding cert and structural welding